The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Alison Krauss & Union Station's new record Condenser Microphones
Old 6th January 2011
500 series nutjob

she is a blast, love her work!
Old 6th January 2011
Lives for gear

An interesting FYI regarding A K. A Nashville publisher mentioned that when he pitches songs to her, she doesn't listen, she takes the lyric sheets, goes in a corner and reads them, and then comes back and requests the songs she wants. One song in particular that still sticks in my mind is "Never Got Off the Ground" (Dave Mallet & Danny O'Keefe), from the CD "Forget About It." She definitely knows how to pick 'em.

Did anyone mention her vocal mic for recording?
Old 9th January 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle duncan View Post
Did anyone mention her vocal mic for recording?
I would be interested to learn this also. thumbsup
Old 9th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipshape View Post
OMG now Im under the microscope !!!When Alison called up for a meeting to work with her I almost fell off my chair , I am such a huge fan, but , not exactly much of a choice for Alison I didnt think , especially after all the success shes had with her usual "team" .
Of course I said yes , she said she wanted something different this time , and she got it !!!
No on has heard this record yet as we kept to ourselves for the whole process , but Im so attached to it cos I put so much into it , nd love it .
I hope people like this record , I wake up in a cold sweat somenights thinking Oh No they gonna tell me I Fu$#ed up AKUS !!!!!
Never worked with a band so briliant , it took a year and was an awesome time . Best Ive ever had making a record .I have a feeling , purists might have something to say If u dont like the sound , well , Ill be hiding behind a rock !!! But I did put everything I have into this record.
Shipshape
Another long time AK fan here. Kudos for your humble attitude. Really look forward to hear the new album. And yes, please let us ask a little about the production... I'd easily provide enough questions for a separate Q/A thread on this production only.heh
Old 9th January 2011
I'm also excited to hear what Mike will do with her, but I think Gary Paczosa is a brilliant engineer, and he deserves mention for all the great records he's made with AKUS.
Old 9th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoop View Post
I'm also excited to hear what Mike will do with her, but I think Gary Paczosa is a brilliant engineer, and he deserves mention for all the great records he's made with AKUS.
Agreed +1
Old 9th January 2011
Gear Addict

I am another big fan of AKUS and love the engineering on "New Favorite". I would like to know more about the recording set up on this record. I read a couple of online interviews but not many details were included. Anybody know more about this recording? This is a GREAT sounding acoustic recording and me thinks those are NOT "character" preamps! The sound of the dobro is so perfect it gives me chills.
Old 9th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfkat View Post
This is a GREAT sounding acoustic recording and me thinks those are NOT "character" preamps! The sound of the dobro is so perfect it gives me chills.
It's Jerry Douglas and I don't think that he could sound less than steller. On his website, Jerry did post quite a bit of studio info from time to time. He mainly talked about his solo recordings but he stated that he cares VERY much about specific preamps, etc. The U67 seems to be his prefered mic for dobro if I remember correctly.

But with musicians as great as AKUS I think it's a matter of nuance where different engineeers have slightly different styles and aesthetics. All the engineers that worked on AKUS and Jerry's solo records are great (Gary Paczosa, Jason Lehning and Chuck Ainlay to name a few) but my personal fave is Bil Vorndick. Check out Charlie Haden's bluegrass CD feat. Jerry Douglas, Pat Metheny and many other greats. Stellar sound yet very organic.
Old 10th January 2011
Lives for gear
Dan Tyminski, he's the man, I love him.

You go see AKUS, and as far as I can tell their guitars aren't doing the piezo pickup crap, they've got honest-to-god mics on the guitars and it sounds so good. Can't wait to hear the album!
Old 23rd January 2011
Deleted User
The album's name has been revealed!

Paper Airplane, comes out 12th April, 10 days after my 18th Birthday!

Terribly excited...
Old 23rd January 2011
Lives for gear

The track list has also been revealed. Even judging from the song titles it looks like it's going to be very interesting. A cover of Richard Thompson's 'Dimming of the day' among it, I can't wait to hear it!

http://www.americansongwriter.com/20...aper-airplane/
Old 23rd January 2011
Gear Maniac

One of the tracks "Lay My Burden Down" is available to stream from the AKUS facebook page. That song was recently featured in the film "Get Low". I'm assuming thats why it's available now.

Alison Krauss | Facebook
Old 24th January 2011
Deleted User
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ev1xPuXMiM

If that's it^

Then I really cannot wait, it's going to be brilliant! You can really tell it's a Mike Shipley record too, the bottom end is so tight, and the top end glistens. I wish I knew how it was all done! The vocals have that real up close and personal touch to them too that were great on Faith Hill's 'Breathe' and on Shania Twain's 'Come on Over' too. Love it.

C'mon Mike, share the stories

No doubt it was a pleasure working with brilliant musicians, but I dare say you worked your arse off as per usual! Any funny stories to share?

Oh! It's not really clear what your role was/is on this album. I've read you were enlisted as engineer with the band producing it, but I know more times than not, things like that aren't true! Which hats were you wearing?
Old 25th January 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by jampottt View Post
C'mon Mike, share the stories
+1 heh
Old 25th January 2011
Here for the gear

Hey What preamps and mics did you choose for this acoustic album?
Old 31st March 2011
Deleted User
The title track has somehow found its way onto Youtube.

YouTube - Alison Krauss - Paper Airplane

I've pre-ordered the album way in advance mind! Feel the space in that. Christ, must have been a fresh of breath air for you Mike!! Sounds like you had a blast, the sonics are utterly stunning.

Jamie
Old 31st March 2011
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by jampottt View Post
The title track has somehow found its way onto Youtube.

YouTube - Alison Krauss - Paper Airplane

I've pre-ordered the album way in advance mind! Feel the space in that. Christ, must have been a fresh of breath air for you Mike!! Sounds like you had a blast, the sonics are utterly stunning.

Jamie
Right behind ya!
That is just lovely.
Old 2nd April 2011
Left the dynamics, too:
Attached Thumbnails
Alison Krauss & Union Station's new record-akus_pa.jpg  
Old 2nd April 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Blackwood View Post
Left the dynamics, too:
Thanks for that Brad, many times when there is a perceived "issue" the mastering guy gets blamed. Nice to see the what the dynamic profile really looks like, but anyone with a pair of ears can hear them (sometimes people in these here parts forget to use theirs!). That song sounds amazing, great to hear a veritable showcase of what you and Michael can really do. Nice one!
Old 3rd April 2011
Lives for gear

I find it very interesting and refreshing this thread contains no tech or gear banter. It seems talent and genius trumps tools and technique. Like that!

Bryant - Hames Music
Old 3rd April 2011
Lives for gear

She has a built in autotune. Sung her first album through a Drawmer 1960.
Old 3rd April 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn Taylor View Post
She has a built in autotune. Sung her first album through a Drawmer 1960.
That's a feature not enough singers have in the original equipment! hehhehheh
Old 7th April 2011
Deleted User
Sometimes fantasising over having a vintage Telefunken U47 going through the fanciest Neve console and the nicest sounding LA-2A that has one more transistor than any other commercial model is a load of fun, talent will always triumph.

Though I would love to hear some tales of how the end result was achieved. My copy should be here in a few days..
Old 11th April 2011
Deleted User
So u heard the album drop on my mat this morning and am on my third listen at the minute. Surely its not just me that finds this record a breath of fresh air?

It's dynamic, vibrant, clean, polished and the album of the year in production and musicianship for me so far. It's stunning.

Come share the stories Mike!

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Gearslutz.com App
Old 13th April 2011
Here for the gear

I bought the CD from Target today. They have a special edition with 6 extra tunes.

The CD sounds great. Being an upright bass player, I am particularly tuned in to that region. The bass is strong and tight. It reminds me of an old Country Gentlemen vinyl I heard recently but with extended low end.

I also like the fact there there is a little less reverb-gloss than Lonely Runs Both Ways. The tones sound very sweet and natural while being huge at the same time.
Old 13th April 2011
Lives for gear

I am REALLY liking this record, and I'm VERY thankful to get music with actual DYNAMICS for my hard-earned money!

...I also noticed that this record is much louder and fuller-sounding than the "loudness warriors" would have you believe was possible without the "Sledge-O-Matic" treatment I have come to expect these days (even on acoustic stuff, it seems ).

...And while I'm one of those folks who is want to rant on and on about how music should never be judged with the eyes, but with the ears...

When was the last time you saw a waveform for the Title Track of an album that looked like this?:
Alison Krauss & Union Station's new record-ak_pa_waveform.gif
Thanks for YOUR part in all that, Shipshape!

...So who mastered this thing? (Hats off to them, as well!)

Was the mastering for the vinyl done by the same ME? (Ordered the vinyl, but it hasn't arrived yet.)

Old 14th April 2011
Captain

Thanx for the post !!
Brad Blackwood mastered it , He and I talked at length about the mastering and wanted a much more older style approach , Ive had too many records ruined by micro-management from label and artist and fortunately Alison asked me to do what I thought best .
At least I can be happy that this record keeps the dynamics ..... and warmth thru easily keeping the level down !!!!!
Shipshape
Old 14th April 2011
Gear Addict

Can't wait to get it! Love Allison, but knowing Mike mixed... this is gonna be a FUN listen!!! heh
Old 14th April 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipshape View Post

Alison asked me to do what I thought best .
Cool!

...Just to let you know, I played this record for some non-music-type-people yesterday, and one (the wife of a friend of mine) reached to turn the volume knob up about 20 seconds into the first chorus of the Title Track.

When it was over, I asked her if she turned it up because it wasn't as loud as other records, and she said "No, I just turned it up 'cause it sounds so good!"

So I asked her what she liked about it, and she said: "I knew I was going to like it when it she first started singing, but I really didn't expect it to BLOOM like it did!"

...And there ya go, folks: You just don't GET "bloom" when you smash the dynamics all to smithereens!

...By the way, I'm starting to think that maybe I'm just not "wired right": I mean, as lovely as that woman looks, as classily as she carries herself, and as sweet as she comes off in in the interviews I've seen, when I think of Alison Krauss, I fantasize about RECORDING her!

(Yep. I definitely think there's something wrong with me.)
...And so yes, it DOES make me covetous when you tell me "Alison asked me to do what I thought best."

THAT is the highest form of respect that any musician can pay to an engineer!
Old 14th April 2011
Captain

Alison Krauss & Union Station's new record-img_7424.jpg

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search