The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Cables... Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Cables...

Are there any reputable brands of cables I should know about before buying? I'm also a bit concerned about the lengths - is it best to overestimate? I don't want to end up with the wires being too tort or slack.

I can order them in, I'm just looking for the best 'audiophile' brand, the ones which generate the least noise over medium and short lengths.

Is it worth getting spares or is there anything else I should think about?
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Guru

Cables don't generate any noise on their own, though I suppose badly shielded cables might let in some external noise from radio stations or AC power etc. As for the best "audiophile" brand, at $4,000 each you won't go wrong with these babies:

http://thecableco.com/product.php?id=6541

--Ethan
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Winer View Post
...at $4,000 each you won't go wrong with these babies:

--Ethan
That's $4000 per meter, Ethan! OMG that's insane lol
Old 30th December 2010
ark
Lives for gear

Quote:
Cables don't generate any noise on their own, ...
Sure they do. Just walk around the house holding them by one end with the cat chasing after the other end until the cat starts knocking things down in its effort to get at the cables.
Old 30th December 2010
Here for the gear

Kimber makes great cables
Old 30th December 2010
+2 www.thecableco.com

buying overpriced cables is a drag! The shorter they are the less the quality matters. That being said I only scrimped on my tt patch cables everything else is top shelf. If I had a wire go bad behind the rack I would be suicidal!
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

I've already selected a place to order, I'm looking more for brand names.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Araujo View Post
Kimber makes great cables
Thank you
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
$4,000 each
Did I say the BEST audiophile brand? I meant worst. heh
Old 1st January 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Cables don't generate any noise on their own, though I suppose badly shielded cables might let in some external noise from radio stations or AC power etc. As for the best "audiophile" brand, at $4,000 each you won't go wrong with these babies:

--Ethan
Ace post Ethan. I nearly wet my pants laughing. heh

I'll pick up a couple of these babies once I get a gear labotomy...lol

Happy New Year from Scotland.

Stewart
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

Certain brands like Mogami and others offer superior constructed cables that will withstand the rigors of day to day studio use.

All things considered though and assuming properly constructed cables, I doubt you will hear a difference.

The real difference is in the construction of the cable.
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

I don't care what anybody says Good cables make a difference even at 10ft length. Star quad sounds much better than standard cable. Learn how to make your own. It's a fun challenging first project and it makes great cables cost the same as the cheapies. Get the supplies from redco. The redco connectors and bulk Cable are great.
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefy View Post
I don't care what anybody says Good cables make a difference even at 10ft length. Star quad sounds much better than standard cable. Learn how to make your own. It's a fun challenging first project and it makes great cables cost the same as the cheapies. Get the supplies from redco. The redco connectors and bulk Cable are great.
I'd love to see you in a double blind test.

I'll bet a case of Sam Adams you can't tell the difference audio wise.

Good cables do make a difference in quality of construction but in terms of difference in sound quality, assuming all things equal, I doubt anyone can hear a difference and I doubt in a true double blind test anyone can consistently pick the high priced cable from the low priced one.
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'd love to see you in a double blind test.

I'll bet a case of Sam Adams you can't tell the difference audio wise.
Put your money where your mouth is huh lol? I'm not going to bet because I might get it wrong and I don't know if I have the money to even buy a case of beer but post some clips of some redco star quad vs monster 500 vs 5 dollar cheapys. I'm pretty sure in a fair test I could pick them all out.
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

I don't know how big the brands are in the US, but here the main brands of cable are VDC (Van Damme) for mid-high level cables, and VoVox for very high end stuff. I think VoVox is about £12 a metre which is pretty steep, I know a studio who installed about 4 miles of it (that's over 7km for you Americans!)
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

Someone will certainly be able to tell the difference if there is one to be spotted, that's the whole point of audiophilia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loopy View Post
Mogami
Thanks, taken note.
Old 1st January 2011
RTR
Lives for gear

Tommywire are the best cables I have ever used...my Mogami and monster cables dont get any use now days, I love these damn tommywire cables...they sound great and man are they built strong...they are so quiet and the connectors just look so nice and tough!!
Old 9th January 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:

--Ethan
ha ha ha ETHAN,

you really made me laugh....I thought you where joking...but they really are $4000. That's sick......

Thanks for the tip though
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search