The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Traveling, what to see???
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Head

I'm traveling through Australia, Italy, France, Spain and England for 6 weeks starting next week. Anything audio related people recommend seeing in any of those places? Can you visit the SSL and/or Neve factories?
Old 31st December 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by John D
I'm traveling through Australia, Italy, France, Spain and England for 6 weeks starting next week. Anything audio related people recommend seeing in any of those places? Can you visit the SSL and/or Neve factories?
Expensive trip - enjoy.

I would go to the SSL website and ask them. If you don't get a reply send me a PM as I know someone who works there and should be able to let you have a direct e-mail.

These sort of things can be arranged as I went round the Studer / Soundcraft factory in England recently.

PS: Did you mean Australia or Austria?

Sent from my iPhone using Gearslutz
Old 31st December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by John D View Post
I'm traveling through Australia, Italy, France, Spain and England for 6 weeks
Wow, round the world? Three continents in 6 week is tough...
Old 31st December 2010
Gear Nut

[QUOTE][Three continents in 6 week is tough... /QUOTE]

not to be a smartass, but it`s two continents.
Old 31st December 2010
Deleted User
[QUOTE=odeon;6166706]
Quote:
[Three continents in 6 week is tough... /QUOTE]

I guess he's counting North America, too.

Personally, I wouldn't waste a single minute of that short tour in a mixer factory. Florence, Rome, Barcelona, Seville, Paris? Why the hell would you want to look at circuit boards?

Why not try to blag some time at one of the major studios? Abbey Road, maybe? Probably quite difficult, but there might be someone here who can help.
Old 31st December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by odeon View Post
Quote:
[Three continents in 6 week is tough...
If you count his home (USA) its three.
Anymore semantics to argue? Its a favorite past-time of mine.
Old 31st December 2010
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by willylumplumps View Post
past-time
heh
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett View Post
Expensive trip - enjoy.

I would go to the SSL website and ask them. If you don't get a reply send me a PM as I know someone who works there and should be able to let you have a direct e-mail.

These sort of things can be arranged as I went round the Studer / Soundcraft factory in England recently.

PS: Did you mean Australia or Austria?

Sent from my iPhone using Gearslutz
Sounds good, I'll work on that, and I did mean Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted User View Post
Personally, I wouldn't waste a single minute of that short tour in a mixer factory. Florence, Rome, Barcelona, Seville, Paris? Why the hell would you want to look at circuit boards?
I guess studios were more what I was looking for but I didn't know how accessible that would be, so I was just starting with something I thought would be more plausible. I would love to see some studios while I'm there, however some people are just particular about those things and other than Abbey Road I'm not familiar with other studios to visit.
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Addict

IF you can manage a detour via Germany, you could visit the Brauner and Neumann mic factories very easy. Just give them a call and they'll be happy to show you around.
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuberizer View Post
you could visit the Brauner and Neumann mic factories very easy. Just give them a call and they'll be happy to show you around.
Really?
Old 3rd January 2011
Deleted User
Yeah. Neumann are in Berlin - a great city with plenty of good studios.

Brauner are not too far from Dortmund - I don't know much about that side of the country. I'm sure it's nice, but I would imagine there's more to see in Berlin. However, if you visit Brauner, then you're only 100 miles away from Amsterdam. Amsterdam is a small but beautiful city, worth a visit even if you're not cool with the legalised weed and prostitution. If you are cool with them, then you get the full sensory-overload experience, though I would recommend just window shopping!
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Addict

How about just walking around Sicily humming the Godfather theme music? That will always be a winner.
Old 3rd January 2011
Book an attended mastering session at Abbey Road and you can go inside... or really, book time any of the other biggies (Air, Metropolis, etc) and same thing. Most are not open to walk-ins, but maybe you know people...

A wander down Denmark Street in London is always worthwhile, especially if you're into guitars (don't buy any unless money is genuinely no object - they are as overpriced as you can possibly imagine) - but some nice stuff to gawk at and a lot of history on that road. It's not exactly a long street but you can stop for a beer or a coffee in between being ignored by hipster shop staff heh.

Anyway, do a search here at least for the London/England bit, it's come up before. Where else in England are you going?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search