The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Measuring sound loss in outboard. Multi-Ef­fects Plugins
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Measuring sound loss in outboard.

How do I measure sound loss when i run some thigns via outboards gear? I mean, have an old EQ and need to know that it cut/boost sometihng running flat, and need to see what freq and what gain... Does any software (maybe free) can help me? Or should I generate some sound, play it through the gear annd then measure with... some kind of analyzer?
Old 30th December 2010
Deleted #157546
You could run a sign wave sweep through it and then have a analyzer on the other end.
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Could you explain with details?
Old 30th December 2010
Deleted #157546
It depends on what your set up is.

If "I" were to do it with my gear...I'd run a sign wave sweep in DAW then out of DAW into gear....then out of gear back into DAW and analyze the results. At least if your looking for "boost and cut" info.
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

I'm looking for info about how flat is the EQ when eveything is set on zero (bypass). Wondering about some kind of noise which has all the frequencies. But what program can analyze this?
Old 31st December 2010
Gear Addict

Do what Jayvo said and use a Spectrum analyzer plug in on an armed track in your DAW. Or, record some audio with the sweep running, either way you need the equipment and the plug in to do it right...
Old 31st December 2010
Gear Nut

You should be running white noise through the unit. A sine has no frequency information other than the frequency at which it's cycling.
White noise is all frequencies at equal amplitude.
So, you can use an FFT analyser to check which frequecies are missing from the orignal white noise signal after the processing.
here's a list of free analyisers;
Spectrum Analyzers - freeware downloads

Hope this helps.

Last edited by bencahill; 31st December 2010 at 09:54 AM.. Reason: spelling errors
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

THANKS a lot!
White noise. This was the thing i was looging for.
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

OK. So now is there any way to measure the noise floor?
Old 31st December 2010
Gear Nut

Well, the noise floor is how much noise is generated by the unit itself, regardless of the signal being passed through it.
However, with an EQ the amount of noise will probably increase depending on how much amplification (boost) is being applied to a given frequency band.

I would think the best way to do this would be just to record the output of the EQ ("silence", at least theoretically) and boost each band and then see what the amplitude of the resulting noise is.
Old 31st December 2010
RiF
Lives for gear

To measure the loss of running things through your converters and the EQ, maybe just run ANYTHING through it and record it back into your DAW. Then make sure the recorded footage is sample aligned with the original ANYTHING (aka delay compensated). If you invert the polarity (aka phase flip) one of the tracks, you'll hear thr difference (= loss, if you will).
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search