The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Modern Compressor w/sound like Symetrix 525 Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear
Modern Compressor w/sound like Symetrix 525

Guys: I simply LOVE my 525 on a mix buss!!!!! I have the one with the toggle switch and the Valley People chip; however, I'm concerned that it is an old piece and might "die" at some point. So, what modern compressor would give me that sound and versatility?
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Guru

Valley people chip is great, I have never heard one in a 525, I have never been to keen on a 525, 501 works every time though, the VP chips always sounded much better.

I know where a rack of 4-525s is just sitting there.
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear
Kool, thanks for the input. I have actually read that the 525 is "just like two 501s" Mine does something majic to the bass/drums content in a mix, which I have not been able to achieve w/any of the usual modestly-priced suspects (RNC, VLA, Joemmek, etc.)
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

I absolutely ADORE the pair of 425's I've got

They seem to have the same VCA's as the DBX ... 160 original I think. Not that this alone entails similarities to it, but the magic is certaily there!
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear
The first thing I would do would be to replace all the electrolytic capacitors in your 525. That is your first defense to keep it from "blowing up".

You can consider upgrading the opamps. I don't know about the 525, but the 501's started out with TL072's and/or NE5532's and went to 4560's (which were horrible). A simple drop-in opamp is the National LM4562, which has very low noise and a slew rate of 20V.
Old 31st December 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
You can consider upgrading the opamps. I don't know about the 525, but the 501's started out with TL072's and/or NE5532's and went to 4560's (which were horrible). A simple drop-in opamp is the National LM4562, which has very low noise and a slew rate of 20V.
I'm assuming 20V/microsecond?
Old 14th February 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrebes View Post
The first thing I would do would be to replace all the electrolytic capacitors in your 525. That is your first defense to keep it from "blowing up".

Thanks man, just saw this. I might just send my baby to Jim Williams for all of this.....I have no clue how to do it.
Old 14th February 2011
Gear Maniac

Got a 522 with valley people VCAs in it just lying around. Maybe i should give it some love?
Old 15th February 2011
Lives for gear

I've got a 522 with the VP chip in it - I replaced the opamps in it (like 20 of them!) and it certainly cleaned it up a bit - it's sound is a bit "pointy" - kinda clean and puts a "bap!" on kicks. Helps put a nice point on an Overstayer.
Old 16th February 2011
Here for the gear

hi guys,
the weakest part of symetrix stuff of that era is the power supply. the design is ok, but not what it should be. before wasting money on opamps etc., btw that do clean up the signal path, do the power supply first. bass response is way better and it sounds more solid overall. did it with two 528s and it´s worth the pennies it costs.

regards rop
Old 16th April 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RopTerzett View Post
hi guys,
the weakest part of symetrix stuff of that era is the power supply. the design is ok, but not what it should be. before wasting money on opamps etc., btw that do clean up the signal path, do the power supply first. bass response is way better and it sounds more solid overall. did it with two 528s and it´s worth the pennies it costs.

regards rop
Any link to what parts to replace for the power supply?
Old 12th April 2014
Gear Maniac

Hi
Is the Symetrix 525 in a similar league than the DbX 128 or the DbX 163X, or would it be a different beast ?
I am looking for a "set and forget" compressor with "smack" and "punch" for drum machines.
I already own a SYmetric 625E, but it is more on the transparent side, it doesn't smack like a DbX, so i am wondering if the 525 would be a nice "color box" ?
Old 28th February 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by kragg View Post
Hi
Is the Symetrix 525 in a similar league than the DbX 128 or the DbX 163X, or would it be a different beast ?
I am looking for a "set and forget" compressor with "smack" and "punch" for drum machines.
I already own a SYmetric 625E, but it is more on the transparent side, it doesn't smack like a DbX, so i am wondering if the 525 would be a nice "color box" ?
It's different than those two, especially release. Drums would be bit longer sounding and mine is also cleaner, more modern sounding than those dbx's.
Old 28th February 2016
Gear Maniac

Thank you.
In the meantime, I got a Symetrix 525, and I really enjoy it
It's very good on bass... in fact, it's good on everything so far !
And i agree, it sounds a bit different than my DBX.
Old 28th February 2016
Lives for gear

I have a 525 mod by Revive Audio. Power supply/Burr Brown/coupling decoupling.
I love that thing.
Old 29th February 2016
Try it on rock snare/snare sample 20:1
Old 15th April 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavern View Post
I have a 525 mod by Revive Audio. Power supply/Burr Brown/coupling decoupling.
I love that thing.
I've got one of those on the way to me know. What do you like it best on? I've also got a Revive modded DBX 160x. So between that and the 525 I'll be running my kick, snare, and bass.
Old 20th November 2016
Here for the gear

Hi folks, it's nice to see some love going out to this underrated comp. I have had one for years but it recently conked out on me. Has this happened to anyone else, and was it just a matter of replacing the PSU?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search