The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Gear is only worth what it sells for... right? Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 30th December 2010
Gear is only worth what it sells for... right?

This might morph into a moan zone thing, but why do sellers ignore the market value of items? Are they dreaming?

An example: I've been eyeing Apogee AD-16x's on ebay for over a month researching what they sell for (used). Just watched an auction for this unit (including a Symphony PCIE card & cable) which ended without meeting the sellers reserve price. It didn't even crack $1500 (note the sellers Buy it Now price at $3k). To me, this seems quite telling about what these units are actually worth now... Yet sellers are all trying to get $2k+ for these and their auctions end over and over with no bids. I guess it's the old battle of who can hold out longer heh
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Addict

Everyone wants stuff for free on eBay these days. I can't even get half price for stuff I got brand new and barely used. I hate it.
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Yeah? This surprises me. I don't sell much stuff on eBay, but I'm more often surprised by how much buyers are willing to pay for stuff - often not much less than buying it new.

Guess it depends on the items in question.
Old 31st December 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamsilent
Everyone wants stuff for free on eBay these days. I can't even get half price for stuff I got brand new and barely used. I hate it.
I feel your pain, and this is why I don't buy stuff new when possible. I guess someone needs to buy it new though
Old 31st December 2010
Shy
Lives for gear

Quote:
No.
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

Gear is worth what GS says it's worth....lol
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

Seems that even since I started buying music equipment 22 years ago, it's resale value is only ever at around 50%-60% (if you're lucky and if it's a good piece of gear) of what you'll pay for it new.
Old 31st December 2010
Nope.

Gear is worth what you're willing to pay for it. Gear is worth what it earns you. Gear is worth the trouble it causes you if you still love it afterwards.

If you find gear is just worth what it sells for then you might be better off in the retail side of things.
Old 31st December 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdme_sadie
Nope.

Gear is worth what you're willing to pay for it. Gear is worth what it earns you. Gear is worth the trouble it causes you if you still love it afterwards.
Well clearly I'm talking monetarily in this case and not sentimentally.
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

When it comes to things like the Apogee's, the technology keeps improving and thus the older pieces slide in value. Not saying that they aren't good (or great) but if a company keeps coming out with new "bigger 'n better" product, the hype of the new stuff kills the resale of the old.

I always figured that the pinnacle of analog audio was in the 70's, and for microphones even earlier. You rarely see API's, Neumann's, or Studer's selling for cheap... they're worth what they're worth!

Also... the industry is in a downward spiral at a time when there is huge growth in the home studio contingent. People not used to paying more than $250 for a piece of any home electronics are suddenly reading about this must have gear but not fully appreciating it's value. This explosion of the home recordist has enabled manufacturers to innovate the technologies they create (500 series blowing up), so the turnover of new product is so fast that value hasn't been fully established.

Anyway, I'm done listening to myself talk. Blah blah blah blah. My $0.02 CDN.
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear
I have a les paul studio my parents worked hard to get me in 94 after years of lessons. They did and the guitar is one banged up guitar with a lot of shows under it. I wouldn't sell it for 5,000 even though it's worth $500 most likely. Sellers always aim too high on ebay asking $100 less starting and never get anywhere. I think a fair sale is 80% of asking price or less depending on it's shape and market value. Starting at 50% is a smarter bet to get maximum profit based upon ones that sold in the past few days. I look up distressors and Juno 60s from time to time and buying a new distressor with a warranty compared to the used price seems like the better deal for a extra $200.

Api 512c pres I've seen go for $580 which seems like a decent deal to me for the price to add a few more. If you already bought one new and need a extra pair for drums why not...last night a pair or 512cs for 1,100 went.
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

It is 90% about timing. Case in point, I have an API 3124MB+ I've been trying to sell for a month. There was one that sold a week before I listed mine for the exact price I'm asking. I listed mine on Ebay a few minutes after one sold for a BIN of about $50 less than the final price. It sat for a week and never sold. I've gotten a bunch of offers for $1000, $2000, $2200, but nobody willing to pay my asking price. It's all about timing and finding the right buyer. Meanwhile, my wife is about to kill me because I bought two 3124+s figuring mine would sell...
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by aj633 View Post
It is 90% about timing. Case in point, I have an API 3124MB+ I've been trying to sell for a month. There was one that sold a week before I listed mine for the exact price I'm asking. I listed mine on Ebay a few minutes after one sold for a BIN of about $50 less than the final price. It sat for a week and never sold. I've gotten a bunch of offers for $1000, $2000, $2200, but nobody willing to pay my asking price. It's all about timing and finding the right buyer. Meanwhile, my wife is about to kill me because I bought two 3124+s figuring mine would sell...

You're so right about that...I had a sequencer I was trying to get rid of and couldn't for the longest time. I saw one with 7 different bidders go for a good price and realized hell only one of them will win, then most likely the others will fight for mine and pay me out right for it the same or more! The "got to have it" factor and timing can determine the outcome more than not. List right when you see the same item being bid on like crazy at a good price so the losers of the last bid will flock to yours. It seems like on high priced lust items when someone has made up in their head this will be mine and they lose they have to have it even more.
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattg082 View Post
You're so right about that...I had a sequencer I was trying to get rid of and couldn't for the longest time. I saw one with 7 different bidders go for a good price and realized hell only one of them will win, then most likely the others will fight for mine and pay me out right for it the same or more! The "got to have it" factor and timing can determine the outcome more than not. List right when you see the same item being bid on like crazy at a good price so the losers of the last bid will flock to yours. It seems like on high priced lust items when someone has made up in their head this will be mine and they lose they have to have it even more.
That's exactly what I did. I listed mine as the auction ended. No bids.
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by aj633 View Post
That's exactly what I did. I listed mine as the auction ended. No bids.
did you start the bidding price low enough or just came right out with it? Ive listed it at what I wanted and got nothing. You have to go a bit under than what you're willing and not put a set price. It feels like a risk but it's the only way i've found to get bids.
Old 31st December 2010
Gear Guru

I say run it to it sells, ebay doesn't cost that much to run if it doesn't sell, I have let stuff sit up to a month before it sold, most of the time it ends up being sold international, don't let that turn you away, sell it to them, add a little extra for the 4% paypal, always send it Global or Express usps.com ONLY !!! that way you have a electronic signature and not paper, then your funds are protected.
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

I just hate the fact that eBay fees are going to cost me close to $75-80 and then PayPal on top of that. I've set my price accordingly, but I'd rather sell it cheaper to a GS member.
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear
Two weeks ago, I sold a Mac Mini that had a buy it now price of $499 on it for $525. People are the dumbest.
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasnub View Post
Two weeks ago, I sold a Mac Mini that had a buy it now price of $499 on it for $525. People are the dumbest.
I've watched this happen many a time...
Old 31st December 2010
Gear Guru

When I was on retail many many many years ago, the rule of thumb was “buy at a quarter, sell at a half".

So a second-hand item is worth about half its current retail price.

For a mic. that's a few years old and in good condition, that could actually be more than you paid for it.

Posted via the Gearslutz iPhone app

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search