The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Looking for a sweet Fender amp for recording.
Old 30th December 2010

I've been playing around some different ones, I'm looking for a really vibrant clean sound but not ice picky. Sometimes the Twins kind of slay me, to harsh. I remember playing an old Vibro King a few years ago and really liking it. Honestly probably looking at getting a vintage amp and may have to trek around to play some and just wanted to get some thoughts before I hit the trail. Maybe an old Deluxe Reverb or Super Reverb? I'm looking for something with some headroom, I want it to overdrive when cracked and played hard but able to be clean at moderate volumes. I have a Victoria 35210, which is a lower wattage Fender Tweed type anp and it sounds gorgeous but gets pretty distorted pretty early, I'm looking for something that holds together longer.

???
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Guru

My favorite 2 Fender Amps are the Super and The Vibrolux Reverb.
These two amps cover a lot of ground.

In something new, A Gries 35 head.

If you go vintage, I would not worry so much about Black
Face or Silver Face, just finding circuit integrity.
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

In what context? In case you DON'T mean in the same room with a full band you could use any boutique amp, even a Fender.

One possibility would be a THD univalve with the right 6L6. This is a small single-ended amp which takes many different pentodes and you can hook it up with whatever cab you like. There are a hundred other contenders.
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear
I have a nice Super here, and really well restored Bandmaster head I use with a few different speakers. One of the guys leaves an older Blues DeVille here as well. The Super has a master volume, which really increases its usabilty in the studio.

Still, what you asked for sounds like a good Deluxe to me. Classic tone, and the right size for almost all recording. Even a Princeton.

For a different kind of distortion, a Champ is nice.

The Blues DeVille is kind of a sleeper. Its a newr vintage amp, but a good one.

Twins are to clean for me, and way to loud before any cream hits the tone.

Happy hunting. Good Fender anps are a joy.
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

check out a Swart Atomic Space Tone.

Dee-Lish-Us!

seriously.
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Addict

Worth trying out a Super Sonic if you haven't already. Versatile clean channel with Vibrolux and Bass Man modes and a great gain channel (best I'v heard on a fender!).
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

A Blackface '66 Vibrolux Reverb is my #1... and a close second is my Vibro Champ.

I use both for studio stuff only, no live gigging, so the loudness of the amps doesn't factor into it for me.

Both amps have a nice clean side and both will bark when pushed a bit.

It's really hard to beat a Vibrolux Reverb (imho).
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Custom shop Vibro King

If you can't find a good clean Vibro champ, or Deluxe Reverb, one of the best amps I ever heard is the newer Fender Custom shop, Vibro King.
It has to be one of the greatest amps I've ever used period.
With 3 Alnico 10's, running at 2 ohms, this is a tone monster, clean or driven.
Amazing amp.
I'm keeping mine!
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

I've had loads of amps over the years but I've always listed after an old deluxe. Just don't think you can beat em. One day I'll do it
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Addict

The new Supersonic 22 is worth checking out. Amazing clean tones and the lead channel is very versatile and usable. In my opinion, the best new amp Fender has made since I've been a player (24 years).
Old 30th December 2010

In the studio I LOVE blackface Princeton reverbs. The first time I did a session here in Nashville I walked into a room with a bunch of vintage amps and plugged into a bf twin that sounded great. I was setting up my tones and the engineer walked in and said "hey, can we try one of these princetons" I reluctantly plugged in, thinking there wouldn't be enough headroom. Oh I was soooooo wrong. It was perfect for recording and I got the best tracks I'd ever recorded.

After a long search and trying out a bunch of duds at GC I almost bought a bf super reverb. GC had two and one sounded awesome ($2000). Then I saw what I had been looking for on Craigslist An old guy found one in his friends attic that hadn't been touched in 40 years. I went over, plugged in and TONE HEAVEN!

I've got some YouTube vids of it too. If you type in Landgraff distortion box they pop up. The blue pedals.

Having said that, a nice vibrolux, vibroverb (drool) or super reverb would be great too.
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empora View Post
Worth trying out a Super Sonic if you haven't already. Versatile clean channel with Vibrolux and Bass Man modes and a great gain channel (best I'v heard on a fender!).
Absolutely, couldn't agree more with you. I do agree with the initial post about the Fender Twins too, they can occasionally blow your face off, the Superonic isn't much like that, it's more of the old Vibro-King kinda thing, a bit less cabinet involvement than the v-k's but that's just because they're a bit smaller. Nevertheless, great amp.
Old 30th December 2010
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

James - I own a blackface bandmaster that I love.. They arent too expensive and they sound great and dont break up too early. Pair that amp with the right guitar and speaker combo..

If you go looking for any type of Fender from that era be sure to have a look at the caps under the hood. Those capacitors tend to start leaking..

Best of luck.
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Maniac
I have a Fender Dual Showman, it's a silverface with the drip edge (which I've been told means it has blackface circuitry... doesn't mean much to me but damn it sounds great) and I love it. Loud as **** and super clean, full sound. Breaks up around 5 or 6 but it's more like a smooth growl. I play it through a vintage 30 loaded cab and it sounds fantastic. I'll sell it for $800 if you want it
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

A good Twin is anything but harsh. Loud, yes. Vibrolux Reverb, Bandmaster Reverb with the needed adjustments, Super Reverb, Bassman head are potentially all great Fender clean sounds.

But fvck it, why play the Fender lottery, buy an Allen Encore or Old Flame and tell David what your looking for and he'll do you right.
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by swafford View Post
A good Twin is anything but harsh. Loud, yes. Vibrolux Reverb, Bandmaster Reverb with the needed adjustments, Super Reverb, Bassman head are potentially all great Fender clean sounds.
Sorry about the mix up, I didn't mean to say they were harsh (although ones in need of a good service can sometimes chew your ears up for brekkie). By "Blow your face off" I did actually mean loud yes...

As for the second half of your post, in full agreement, I am especially partial to good sounding vintage Bandmasters, re-issues, a great amp but like many re-issues, no matter how good they are, an original in good condition will usually be no comparison.

Actually, that could be another point, what's the best and most accurate Re-issue of any amp/guitar/bit of gear that anyone's heard and loved. Maybe I'll try and start a thread...
Old 30th December 2010

We have a super reverb with jensens that's great but I also love me a vintage bandmaster and a tweed bassman.
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Left field recommendation:

Groove Tubes STP-G, if you can find one. Pittman was trying as hard as possible to recreate a Deluxe when he put these together. I love mine. Not terribly expensive at the moment, if you can find them. A new set of tubes (GT, of course), proper biasing, feed it into a nice cabinet, and one of these puppies might be just what you are looking for.
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Maniac

blackface Princeton reverbs and Super reverbs rule.
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

+1 for a 64-67 Super Reverb. I should note that it doubles as a pretty cool retro bass amp (it worked for Carol Kaye).
Old 30th December 2010

Whatcha think?

it won't let me post cl ads, one's a 67 one's a 67

if you want to search they are both super reverbs, one's in san diego one is in orange county, I'd love to get some advice on them.

1965 FENDER SUPER REVERB AMP Original Vintage Blackface. $2,150.

Model AB763 - Production #7 - December 1965 - Serial Number A11713

This Amp is in absolutely amazing condition. The Tone & Response of the amp is incredible!
It is in perfect working condition. All components are original and were recently inspected by a Fender Engineer.
The Amp comes with the original Fender foot-switch & cover and a new Fender cover.

Original 1967 Black Face Fender Super Reverb amplifier in fine working condition. AB-763 circuit board with original 4 x 10" speakers. 6L6 vacuum tubes. 2 channel input - normal /vibrato. Reverb and Vibrato pedal included. Recently serviced and rarely played in last 10 years. Classic tone monster. Must be played to be appreciated!
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Actually the Super Champ XD is great for what you´re asking. I got one in the studio. And the price is awesome!

Check out this YouTube video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ek6PiHd-H2U

Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear
I agree with the Deluxe Reverb choice, either a blackface or silverface. Very versatile amp. The silverface Deluxe Reverbs are about identical to the blackface, so you can save some money there.

If you want to go with a head (using existing speaker cabinets), you might want to consider a blackface Bassman head. They are inexpensive. Since I did not find the "Bright" switch very useful, I modified the Normal input so that the "Bright" switch changes the tone controls to that of the brownface Bassmans, which is what Brian Setzer likes to use. It scoops out the mids and gets a great clean and overdriven tone that isn't available from the amp otherwise.
Old 30th December 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrebes View Post
I agree with the Deluxe Reverb choice, either a blackface or silverface. Very versatile amp. The silverface Deluxe Reverbs are about identical to the blackface, so you can save some money there.
What year era?
Old 30th December 2010
I'm pretty sure all of black sabbath's paranoid was done with a fender champ.
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Just seeing your other questions on amps is making me think an old or new Champ is NOT for you. I have one and like it...but you have to do really low volume recording for cleans, and it is essentially bassless...so you are forced to alter arrangements to get a good "band" sound out of it.

After having a few different Fenders The deluxe reverb is probably perfect for your needs...I alos think the mid-90's Blues Deville 2-12 is a great amp...the distortion is ok, but the cleans are to die for if you can deal with the volume (that sucker is LOUD with a capital deaf). I think from a recording standpouint the Princeton has it all, but would be marginal with a loud drummer.

I'm going back to a Princeton myself, but this time it's a one-off amp I'm building for my own needs.
Old 30th December 2010

Both of those Super Reverbs look good and should be great sounding amps. They're selling em for $2000 at GC here they have about 100 vintage amps so you can compare and contrast (I'm sure they'd have a great selection in LA too) Every vintage amp I've ever tried sounds different so it's important to find "the one".

If you're going for a deluxe reverb then get a blackface. Here's a baseline guide for what i would call fair prices on these beautiful amps.

Black face era 1964-67 in excellent condition.

Princeton reverb $1800
Deluxe reverb $2000
Super Reverb $2000
Vibrolux $2300
Bassman $750 (these are 4 ohms so they will not work with most cabs)

Silver face will be less $ but they're consistently twangier and lack the body and dimension of BF amps to my ears. And they're way less desirable/collectable.
Old 30th December 2010
A lot of sessions guys carry around a Princeton Reverb or Deluxe Reverb. I sometimes see boutique brands, such as Victoria, usually based on the tweed Princeton, Deluxe, or Harvard.

I've always like Princeton Reverb and Vibro Champs in the studio.
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

I like the Deluxe reissue. Mine is ten years old. I know some folks with vintage ones... they didn't change my religion. However, the Deluxe is nice and clean but can also get pretty distorted without having to go to extreme volumes. Anything larger like a Twin, Suoer is never going to break up. Ok, they might but by the time they do you'll be performing for the police.

I like Twin's because they have more bottom, and I like the Matchless DC30 I used this year but the Deluxe is still my favourite.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search