The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Looking for a sweet Fender amp for recording.
Old 16th July 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllAboutTone View Post
Supersonic is killer.
+1

Off the top off my head, I can't think of another non-modelling amp that has the wide range of tonal possibilities the Supersonic does. My favorite amp
Old 16th July 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
The VVT Fralin gets lots of praise as does the Tone King Imperial.
They are not old school hand wired, but very very well built hybrids.
The VVT is absolutely hand wired P2P...
Old 16th July 2011
Lives for gear

Hi James,

I apologize if I am covering old ground but I have not read the whole thread.

Anyway, I have been playing almost exclusively thru Fender amps since I was a kid some forty years ago. I suggest you try out as many amps as you can cause they all sound different even tho they may be the same model. I have heard some 65 Deluxe Reverbs that did not sound that great. Also, I always felt the amps without the reverb sounded a bit better as if power that went to the reverb was now going to the amp, there just seemed to be a little more focus and bite when I needed it.

At one time I had fourteen amps (all Fender and one Benson). None of them had reverb (except the Benson). I had a tube reverb and that was actually an improvement to the tone as it softly overdrives in a warm LA2A kind of way.

The night you heard my cover duo I was playing thru my small club rig. An early 90's Pro Jr and a 58 tweed Deluxe both together in stereo. I probably played about a thousand bar gigs with those two amps, If you remember the sound I got that night it might help steer you in the right direction. I think we were playing Bitter Sweet Symphony and you were about to leave but you hung around a little longer.

Anyway, as I recall you have a lot of speaker cabs. I suggest you get an old Bassman brain (w presence knob). I use to have one and I ran it thru a Marshall basket weave 4/12. Possibly the best solid Rock tone I ever had. I could go from Pretenders to Sabbath depending on how I attacked the strings. You can't go wrong with that head (unless you blow it up thru a 2 ohm cab or something). They sound great and keep going up in value. I wish I still had mine but I traded it for a 72 Tele Bass.

The one Fender amp I had that I did not like was the twin reverb. Hard ice pick tone, no mojo and too heavy to gig with and too loud for my style anyway. Just not the way to go unless you specifically want that tone.

I have an old Bassman 4/10 two input that sounds great with a Les Paul direct without any pedals. Perfect sustain like a Pete Townsend power chord or Thin Lizzy type tone. Bold but still beautiful.

Tweed Deluxe is great but may not have enough midrange for you. Great lows and Sweet highs tho (at least mine is like that).

Pro Jr. All midrange with nice sustain. That's why I pair it up with the tweed Deluxe above. Note: Most Pro Jr's do not sound right. You gotta get a good one. BTW, Jeff Beck has a load of em on stage when he tours.

Well, those are probably my favorite Fenders. vintage Bassman head, vintage Bassman 4/10, tweed Deluxe and Pro Jr.

Oh yeh, stay away from the Fender amps from the 90's with a ton of knobs on them. I forget what they are called but they sound awful. Maybe Blues Deville or something like that.

Stay cool brother.

PS. James thanks for coming to the gig back then and please let me know if you are gigging up here in San Fran.
Old 16th July 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by toneguru View Post
I suggest you try out as many amps as you can cause they all sound different even tho they may be the same model..

+1

alsoFWIW I love built in reverb just as much if not more than the outboard type-sometimes I use both.

I have 3 tweeds,4 BF, 4 silvers and a pro jr.99% of the time its my tweed DeLuxe on a gig. Recording, I use 'em all not to mention Magnatone,Ampegs and a drip leg model 16 Leslie.

Good luck and enjoy!!
Old 16th July 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by popmann View Post
The VVT is absolutely hand wired P2P...
I could be wrong without seeing a clear gut shot, but I was under the impression that the VVT Fralin uses
some proprietary board sections that are hand wired into place?

The same for the Suhr Badgers and the Tone Kings, all excellent
aircraft spec work.
Old 20th July 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by James 'LA' Lugo View Post
I've been playing around some different ones, I'm looking for a really vibrant clean sound but not ice picky. Sometimes the Twins kind of slay me, to harsh. I remember playing an old Vibro King a few years ago and really liking it. Honestly probably looking at getting a vintage amp and may have to trek around to play some and just wanted to get some thoughts before I hit the trail. Maybe an old Deluxe Reverb or Super Reverb? I'm looking for something with some headroom, I want it to overdrive when cracked and played hard but able to be clean at moderate volumes. I have a Victoria 35210, which is a lower wattage Fender Tweed type anp and it sounds gorgeous but gets pretty distorted pretty early, I'm looking for something that holds together longer.

???
Super Reverb - mod back to AB763 specs, try Gerald Weber's Black Frame 10" speakers and you're set.

Deluxe Reverb - great, for recording I'd also look at the Princeton Reverb. Mine is set up to get crunchy at around 4, which is more than enough for recording.

Get some Brown in there - the vibrato is unique to the browns and sounds great, less breakup than tweed but not as clean as blonde/blackface. Brown Pro, Deluxe, etc.

Might be worth a trip over to True Tone in Santa Monica to at least try some out.

I tend to rescue abused amps and bring them back - my Bandmaster was one , as was my Princeton Reverb. Just bought a 65 Showman head that needs some mods removed (pull boost? Line out?) but has original transformers and choke. Feels good to get these back into their original specs.

I've also found for my 3 Fenders that Mike Kropotkin at KCA NOS tubes has some great recommendations depending on your tonal goals.

KCA NOS Tubes. Audio tubes for guitar amplifiers and audiophile equipment. 12AX7, 6L6GC, 12ay7, el34, el84, Fender amplifier,5AR4, 5U4GB, cv4004, 6SN7, 8417, 7027, gz34, Mullard, EF86, 6ca7, 6bq5, 7025, 12at7 | kcanostubes.com |
Old 20th July 2011
Here for the gear

First of all, I think the Black faces do sound better than the silver. If you aren't too afraid, check each speaker for sound quality. Always mic both speakers if there are two(or 4) because they won't all sound the same.

Second of all, my favorite amp is the Super Reverb. I think the Ten inch speakers in the old ones sound tighter and more clear. After the Super, I have to go with the Twin.
FYI Stevie Ray Vaughn played through two Super Reverbs most of the time. That tone is killer...
Old 20th July 2011
Here for the gear

Also, if you're looking new, I had a great experience with a reissue deluxe reverb the other day, but you need to play them to death when you buy them to tame the initial brightness..

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search