The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Looking for a sweet Fender amp for recording.
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

Hey Memphis, I know what you mean about that silverface sound. There are times when it's actually the one you need. If I was playing 70's funk or soul, or some types of rock or country, it would be the preferred thing. It's just become iconic for that stuff.

For me, at this point, I find that I can make friends better with a SF amp after it's been changed to a BF amp by a good tech, but I agree, you gain something while you give up something.

But I may be too old too .......

Happy New Year!
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by softwareguy View Post
Hey Memphis, I know what you mean about that silverface sound. There are times when it's actually the one you need. If I was playing 70's funk or soul, or some types of rock or country, it would be the preferred thing. It's just become iconic for that stuff.

For me, at this point, I find that I can make friends better with a SF amp after it's been changed to a BF amp by a good tech, but I agree, you gain something while you give up something.

But I may be too old too .......

Happy New Year!
Exactly, and there's nothing wrong with a BlackFace Fender either, it's also a very good sound, possibly even more versatile than a Silver Face Fender, but, when I'm looking for the "Honey hole" of tone, It's an all or nothing affair, and I am a guilty as HELL for loving 70's FUNK!!
Old 1st January 2011
Gear Guru

Supersonic is killer.
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Guru

As house amps, it wouldn't hurt to have a few choice Fender amps
available for your clients, but once you start shopping vintage,
you begin to realize that finding something like a super clean, quiet
'65 Vibrolux Reverb presents you with as many pitfalls as trying to find
minty '65 Corvette.
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

The circuit is an extremely simple build, you could build your own.
The Fender Amp Field Guide
Column to the right, look under schematics.
pick an amp, and build one that has what you like in it.
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Maniac

I picked up a 1970(?) silverface Vibrolux Reverb not too long ago for $700, did a cap job on it and threw an RCA NOS in v1.

With a strat or tele it has gorgeous three dimensional sparkling spanking clean sounds.

With a les paul and the volume all the way up it gets a magnificent crunch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFTT View Post
My favorite 2 Fender Amps are the Super and The Vibrolux Reverb.

If you go vintage, I would not worry so much about Black
Face or Silver Face, just finding circuit integrity.
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Nut

My two cents- Blackface Deluxe Reverb as a conventional choice but suggest a Tone King Metropolitan as a more dimensional and controllable alternative.
Old 3rd January 2011

Found this 68 Deluxe sounds great but looks strange. Has a gap between amp head and speakers...??

Is it cool?
Attached Thumbnails
Looking for a sweet Fender amp for recording.-img00618-20110103-1103.jpg   Looking for a sweet Fender amp for recording.-img00620-20110103-1104.jpg   Looking for a sweet Fender amp for recording.-img00621-20110103-1104.jpg   Looking for a sweet Fender amp for recording.-img00619-20110103-1104.jpg  
Old 3rd January 2011

My buddy said it's called a 'drip edge' and has the same electronics as a Blackface and he said they are great amps. Thoughts???
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownBox View Post
My two cents- Blackface Deluxe Reverb as a conventional choice but suggest a Tone King Metropolitan as a more dimensional and controllable alternative.
They don't call it Tone King for nothin'

Try it...

Seriously it is in it's own league.

G
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

A Drip-edge Deluxe will probably still have the black-face circuit. I'd be sure to open it up to see that it's still as original as possible. If it's totally original, you will want to replace some of the caps... Maybe take a tech to look at it if you are not familiar with what it should look like under the hood.

The gap you mention shouldn't change the way the amp sounds. I've got a small gap like that in my Vibro-Champ.

Sweet amp if you can get it for a reasonable price.
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by James 'LA' Lugo View Post
My buddy said it's called a 'drip edge' and has the same electronics as a Blackface and he said they are great amps. Thoughts???
If its original and minimally modified, its a great amp. Here are some things to check and make sure.

1. Make sure the transformer dates align to that time period otherwise it may sound great but as a collector item it has less value.
2. Make sure the wood on the inside is a dark brown color or you have a non original cabinet, I see this all the time in supposedly older Fenders. People will grab the amp section and build the case with new wood, then try to sell it as vintage.
3. If you see a lot of orange caps when the amp has been pulled, it may be tonally altered but not always, just replacement caps may be the case, which does lower the value a bit but tonally it may improve the amp.
4. The gap is a concern that the cabinet is not original but it could also be that the grill is not seated right or the baffling which holds the speaker is not original. Hopefully there is one 12 inch speaker in there.

Shots of the back and inside of the amp would help others make the call on its authenticity. The test of a great Deluxe is to put the volume on 8, treble on 5 bass on 4. Just a bit of reverb and turn off the tremolo for now. Now set a telecaster on about 3-4 and slowly push the volume until you get this very nice subtle distortion, kind of splashy on the high end but with really nice sustain. If you don't get this then its one of the harder sounding clean units which is OK for power rhythm chords but not so much a lead guitar amp. This is possible a bias issue which can be rectified if the tone circuit has not been altered.
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Found this 68 Deluxe sounds great but looks strange. Has a gap between amp head and speakers...??

Is it cool?
Are you sure its '68? I thought fender didn't make silver faces until the 70's... I could be wrong though.

The distance between the speaker mesh and amp is something you might be able to adjust if it bothers you, the input section on my fender amp is removeable and I mounted it wrong when trying to fix it, which caused the gap to widen.

I have a 69' twin and a 67' princeton, the princeton is my go to amp for recording, but the twin sounds nice too. I bought a re-issue twin as well and compared to the 69' it sounds like ****, the old twins are about 1/3rd
the volume of the modern ones so can be recorded at moderate levels.

I also have a mic shootout of my princeton in action, with different guitars and distances if you are curious about the sound.
Old 4th January 2011
Lives for gear

I hope they are negotiable on price...$2800? Although it's a killer amp, but the blackface isn't even worth that much. I love the dripedge amps, really the rarest of all the Fenders excluding some brownface's.

It looks good, just $1K too high
Old 4th January 2011
Gear Guru

That's WAY high @ $2800.00

My neighbor sold his upgraded BF 65 DR for $1400.00
The transformer had been beefed up to give the amp 40 watts,
totally reversible mod and there was a minor dent in the face plate.
The amp had the voice on Angels!

A clean Drip Edge is still a Black Face circuit, but so what!

You can have any Silver Face Black Faced for very little.

The local Mom and Pop had a clean BF DR for
$2400.00 and it might still be there 4 years later.

Sounds like they're trying to jam it to you guys out there on
the left coast just because you're in Hollywood.

This is tough because I can see where Vintage Fender Brand Recognition
is going to be important to some clients, but you're not micing the Logo.

When I bought my 2 Ampegs, I had detailed chassis gut photos, ALL
serial numbers, tube chart, type, brands, speaker details original, replacement, re-cone? and we still missed a generic pot for the Reverb
control on the R12R after TRYing to stay as original as possible.

When people ask VINTAGE PRICES, they should be prepared to
detail and document everything with no hassles.

Friedman could take one look at the chassis photos and tell you
if it's been butchered or "preserved".

It looks like the chassis on the drip edge is not aligned properly and that
tells me you want some crisp detailed chassis photos to see what's been
done to it.

Get a shot of the speaker and number code too.
Old 4th January 2011
Lives for gear

Also know that you can pick up a mid 70s Silverface and have it modded to blackface circuit. Very simple upgrade. Doing it this way gets you the tone for half the money, if you're really not in to collecting.
Old 4th January 2011
Lives for gear
Way, way too high. Deluxe Reverbs, Princetons and Champs were barely touched if at all by CBS when they started wrecking Fender amps after they took over; most silverface Deluxe Reverbs can sound as good as a blackface one. You'll just save a lot of money.

If you want, it's easy to buy a silverface and have it modded back to BF specs. Much cheaper than $2800 and you'll know that it's tweaked to your sound preferences. Harbor Music in Redondo knows their Fender amps and has worked on all of mine.

I have a Princeton and a Princeton Reverb (modified with Deluxe Reverb Output Transformer) as well as a '65 Bandmaster head I turned into a 2x12 combo with Weber California 12's. For ultimate clean, the Bandmaster wins hands down. For pushed grit, the Princeton Reverb is great.

Good luck on your tone quest!
Old 4th January 2011
Lives for gear

A guy on CL here in Chicago has one listed for $1400...it's a '76 IIRC.
Old 4th January 2011
Gear Guru

There's a few nice Fenders at the TGP Emporium and more sure to
come heading into the winter months.
Old 4th January 2011
Gear Addict

James, I have a buddy near you selling a late 70's Super Reverb with 4 alnico Jensens in it with anvil case for $900. I've used it on a few records and it sounds killer! It's been regularly maintained by Bob Dixon over at Amphole. Shoot me a PM/email and I'll put you in touch with him.
~Andy Z
Old 6th January 2011
500 series nutjob

the baseman is a great bang for the buck.
a super is always a great amp to have, i personally like the smaller princeton and the like but it sounds like would would not be to you taste.
Old 6th January 2011
Gear Maniac

We have a large selection of Fender amps at our studio. Our stock '67 "Blackface" Bassman with small 2 X 12" Vintage 30 cabinet gets by far the most use of any amp here. Most guitarists who use it look for one on eBay right away.
Old 6th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
I've been playing around some different ones, I'm looking for a really vibrant clean sound but not ice picky. Sometimes the Twins kind of slay me, to harsh. I remember playing an old Vibro King a few years ago and really liking it. Honestly probably looking at getting a vintage amp and may have to trek around to play some and just wanted to get some thoughts before I hit the trail. Maybe an old Deluxe Reverb or Super Reverb? I'm looking for something with some headroom, I want it to overdrive when cracked and played hard but able to be clean at moderate volumes. I have a Victoria 35210, which is a lower wattage Fender Tweed type anp and it sounds gorgeous but gets pretty distorted pretty early, I'm looking for something that holds together longer.

???
If you don't mind vintage, the amp that fits your desires to a T is the Selmer Zodiac Truvoice Twin Thirty "Croc-skin". It's a combination of a Tweed clean with Vox jangle, topped with the warmth and breakup of a JTM45 power section when pushed. Beautiful clean sound with headroom that isn't ice picky, and it loves strats. I found one in a store cheap and despite the fact it is over forty years old, the tech said it needed zero work in regards to caps or tubes. These amps are more common in the UK or Europe - Selmer didn't distributed these amps to the states back in the 60s (they don't have a US110VAC selector and needed a stepdown transformer). They are hard to find in the states but there are rental businesses in LA that will have them.
Old 6th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFTT View Post
That's WAY high @ $2800.00
You can have any Silver Face Black Faced for very little.
Well... not all Silver Face. The master volume Twins with their big ol' transformers are an exception, but certainly, the Deluxes and Supers.
Old 7th January 2011
500 series nutjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTatman View Post
We have a large selection of Fender amps at our studio. Our stock '67 "Blackface" Bassman with small 2 X 12" Vintage 30 cabinet gets by far the most use of any amp here. Most guitarists who use it look for one on eBay right away.
i have a stock 64 and several cabs
these amps will cover a lot of ground: )~
Old 7th January 2011
Gear Guru

I've been reading a related article over at TGP comparing Gries, Allen, Headstrong and Chicken Pickin Amps.

All very good options in both accurate Legacy and modded Fender Circuits.

I'm most interested in a Gries 35 Head with a separate
2X10 loaded with Fane AXA10's or maybe Weber 10F150 and an AXA10
Old 15th July 2011
Here for the gear

Supersonic Twin

Again: Supersonic Twin! Just starting to get to know mine, but damn it's got bundles of tones in it. The winning point for me was the Burn channel, from a little bit of dirt to thick creamy hi-gain with plenty of sustain.

If you are into the Supersonic 22watt version, try the twin and compare them!
I did, and the twin sounded SO much better, there was really no competition.
I don't need 100w, but there is a master volume, and you can actually switch it to 25w. More money, yes, but money was made to spend, right?

My Telecaster Loves this amp!
Old 16th July 2011
Lives for gear

Honestly...while I everything here is opinion...the Fralin model VVT is pretty keen. Now, they're making a head version, too...although, you'll need an open back cab--your Marshall 4x12 box won't do. It's a bit noisy at lower volumes, because they're run the preamp a bit hotter than Fender so it will break a little quicker...but...

Other than that...I kinda think the old Supers are "the Fender rock and roll" sound. Bassman...Super...those are the two--just matters if you want a head or combo...and if you want the spring reverb and trem that the super has. Bassman will always break fastest, but that's honestly not really the quintessential Fender tone, IMO. It's a killer tone. Just not sure that's the cliche. For country, a (good) Deluxe is had to beat because the 6v6s will break VERY differently. FWIW-the Fralin can run 6L6 or 6V6 without rebiasing.
Old 16th July 2011
Lives for gear
Looking for a sweet Fender amp for recording.

I have a drip edge DR that I blackfaced. While you can redo the circuit the cabinet still has the glued in baffle. I keep thinking about getting a replacement vintage cab as I love the sound of a floating baffle. Both the 1-12 and 2-12 I built for my Fuchs from solid pine have floating baffles.
Old 16th July 2011
Gear Guru

The VVT Fralin gets lots of praise as does the Tone King Imperial.
They are not old school hand wired, but very very well built hybrids.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search