The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Pro Tools outboard gear question Audio Interfaces
Old 30th December 2010
Pro Tools outboard gear question

So I found an Akai 4000DS MK2 in my basement. Its in perfect condition EXCEPT the record function isnt working (so my father and I are working on this). If get this working it could be used as my first piece of outboard equipment. Problem is...Im not sure how, or if its even possible to hook it up to pro tools. I know nothing about this sort of setup because I've only ever worked with plugins. I have a fast track ultra 8r and pro tools 9. I would like to be able to send my final mixes through it (just like a pro tools plugin) and back into pro tools for real tape saturation or for real tape delay.

Tape Deck Picture: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5129928/akai%204000ds.jpg

Interface manual: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5129928/FTU8R_UG_EN.pdf.zip

I'm a complete beginner with anything that isn't a software plugin so if anyone knows if this setup could work, it would be greatly appreciated if that person could help me...Thanks

P.S...it has 2 inserts, but I'm guessing that this is meant prior to pro tools because it says it inserts it between the a/d converter and the preamp....but im looking to record everything the same (straight into to pro tools) and send my stereo and mono mixes out through it and back into pro tools
Old 30th December 2010
ALS
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_04_04 View Post
So I found an Akai 4000DS MK2 in my basement. Its in perfect condition EXCEPT the record function isnt working (so my father and I are working on this). If get this working it could be used as my first piece of outboard equipment. Problem is...Im not sure how, or if its even possible to hook it up to pro tools. I know nothing about this sort of setup because I've only ever worked with plugins. I have a fast track ultra 8r and pro tools 9. I would like to be able to send my final mixes through it (just like a pro tools plugin) and back into pro tools for real tape saturation or for real tape delay.

Tape Deck Picture: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5129928/akai%204000ds.jpg

Interface manual: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5129928/FTU8R_UG_EN.pdf.zip

I'm a complete beginner with anything that isn't a software plugin so if anyone knows if this setup could work, it would be greatly appreciated if that person could help me...Thanks

P.S...it has 2 inserts, but I'm guessing that this is meant prior to pro tools because it says it inserts it between the a/d converter and the preamp....but im looking to record everything the same (straight into to pro tools) and send my stereo and mono mixes out through it and back into pro tools
this is a pretty simple task. you can do this in a number of ways. one being connect a couple of the outputs(lets say outs 3&4) on your interface to the inputs on the tape machine and then the outputs of the tape machine into line inputs 3&4 on the interface. assign the master bus to output 3&4 record to tape machine. once recorded to tape create a new audio track assigning the input to 3&4. press record in pt9 and play on tape machine.
Old 30th December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALS View Post
this is a pretty simple task. you can do this in a number of ways. one being connect a couple of the outputs(lets say outs 3&4) on your interface to the inputs on the tape machine and then the outputs of the tape machine into line inputs 3&4 on the interface. assign the master bus to output 3&4 record to tape machine. once recorded to tape create a new audio track assigning the input to 3&4. press record in pt9 and play on tape machine.
I thought about that...but wouldn't this mean I would have to adjust the gain on the inputs? If so, that could lead to a few annoying problems like having to adjust the left and right channel perfectly so that they come out balanced the same way the came in?

Would you be willingly to list any of the other ways of doing it? Ill probably try them all and stick to the best solution.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search