The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
NON-Music related career choices? Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Maniac

NON-Music related career choices?

So I went to audio college straight out of school, done a few gigs here and there since then but am now looking to get into something more realistic and stable.

Im looking for something that requires more of a hands on skill than marketing/sales/people relations/climbing the corporate ladder type careers.

What are some of the more unique higher paying($50,000 and over) careers/trades that people here do or know of?
What would you train in if you were to start again today?
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

I'm a partime freelancer in audio, and my main income comes from ICT consultancy jobs, wich pays rather wel, especially for someone who doesn't have a college degree (not necesairy, if you got the skills). Other freelancers i know work in engineering jobs (wich need a College degree of course) or as lower skilled (high school degree) electric technician.

But anything that you're good at, can be a good career choice, as long as there is demand...
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Guru

The most secure jobs are the one's with all the government funding

IT, specifically network security.

Hands on - Robotics, mechanical engineering.

Utilities, Communications.

You can also go for tour/show support jobs, lighting and sound techs,
acoustical engineering, electrician, that sort of tuff.
Old 30th December 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFTT View Post
Anything health-care related. Stacks of jobs in health in Australia, Allied health is not too hard to get into, you still need a degree but some are short...

I just finished my Masters in audiology after coming to the same realisation about 3 years ago...
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by piemanmusic View Post
Anything health-care related. Stacks of jobs in health in Australia, Allied health is not too hard to get into, you still need a degree but some are short...

I just finished my Masters in audiology after coming to the same realisation about 3 years ago...
I've been looking into health care, mainly on the dental side but its so hard to get in to.

Did you do your Masters at UQ? Im on the Gold Coast.
How hard was it to get into?
How are Audiometrists(Diploma) regarded in this field?
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

well... video production is booming these days. I can make $100/hr pretty easy on contract gigs... and there's a lot of work to be had.

Actually I hear trades.. like carpentry and wood working, plumbing.. all that kinda stuff.. pay really well.

I hear that the medal field aint all its cracked up to be.. i know quite a few over worked under paid people
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsearles View Post

Actually I hear trades.. like carpentry and wood working, plumbing.. all that kinda stuff.. pay really well.
Pay well in theory but around here there's no work in the trades
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The dman View Post
I think there was a story about this in NPR sometime ago.. that fewer people are going into them these days.. that there was a shortage of good people, and it seemed like an area that was insulated from the economy..

but I don't remember the details.. and maybe in varies regionally
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
well... video production is booming these days. I can make $100/hr pretty easy on contract gigs... and there's a lot of work to be had.
If you dont mind me asking, what type of work are you doing for those rates? Pre, Production or Post? Corporate? TV? Film?
Old 30th December 2010
Having some software skills under your belt can never hurt. It's like knowing how to operate the ultimate power tool, which can be applied to a vast array of problems in almost every business (and many non-busiess) endeavor out there, including music.
Old 1st January 2011
Best career for a studio engineer/musician besides music has got to be firefighter. They start at like 40k a year full benefits but here's the kicker. 24hrs on 48hrs off! It also used to be once a motnth you get a kelly day of an extra day off so its like 5 days in a row off once a month. Plus most of the 24 hrs on is in the firehouse where you can play gtr sleep work out whatever. Every firefighter I know has all these side careers and projects too.
Old 1st January 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by camron123 View Post
So I went to audio college straight out of school, done a few gigs here and there since then but am now looking to get into something more realistic and stable.

Im looking for something that requires more of a hands on skill than marketing/sales/people relations/climbing the corporate ladder type careers.
rehab counselor?

Quote:
What are some of the more unique higher paying($50,000 and over) careers/trades that people here do or know of?

What would you train in if you were to start again today?
something doesn't require living in one of only half a dozen major cities around the world if you actually want to make a living...
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:

I hear that the medal field aint all its cracked up to be.. i know quite a few over worked under paid people
Do you think a video editor will become obsolete just like recording engineers have? I was thinking of learning the ropes. My wife works for a major network so I am thinking I could do alright but have no desire to go through what I went through with the collapse of the industry.
Old 1st January 2011
Gear Addict

Computer science seems to be the way to go these days if your going to invest any money into your education. TONS of TONS of programming and software engineering jobs out there right now. stike And those aren't going to dry up anytime fast..
Old 1st January 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
TONS of TONS of programming and software engineering jobs out there right now.
Yeah, if ya wanna work in New Delhi or Bombay making $20K a year.
Old 1st January 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider View Post
Wrong!

Best Jobs in America 2010 - Top 100: Software Architect - Money Magazine on CNNMoney.com
Old 1st January 2011
Gear Addict

I would look at getting a trade.
Old 1st January 2011

I'm doing a military version of Air Traffic Control. Aside from being fast paced, it's actually an extremely interesting job. Many of the properties of Radar, GPS, and HF/VHF/UHF Radio are related to concepts in audio engineering as well.

...and of course the salary ain't too bad. ;-)

Posted via the Gearslutz iPhone app
Old 1st January 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draw the Moral View Post
I'm doing a military version of Air Traffic Control. Aside from being fast paced, it's actually an extremely interesting job. Many of the properties of Radar, GPS, and HF/VHF/UHF Radio are related to concepts in audio engineering as well.

...and of course the salary ain't too bad. ;-)
Wow man thats great, I've always heard that its a very very stressful career. Hope you never make a mistake
Old 1st January 2011
Gear Guru

If I were in my 20's I'd love to get into the up and coming mini UAV
development programs.

These guys are designing remote controlled aircraft the size of
birds and insects.

If you want to get on the government funded gravy train, it's
all about Defense, Homeland Security and Cyber Security for government
and business.

The first step is getting your security clearance.

My oldest friend's son is now 25, earning $89K (GS-13) as a network
security analyst for one of those 3 letter Agencies .
In the last two years, his job has taken him to more than 44 countries.
Old 1st January 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by camron123

Wow man thats great, I've always heard that its a very very stressful career. Hope you never make a mistake
Well it's only stressful if time critical multitasking and thinking quickly on your feet really stress you out.

We have an industry jargon term, "SA", which stands for situational awareness. It means basically amounts to maintaining an up to date mental image of everything going on around you...Aircraft, locations, equipment status (radios, radars, etc), speed/time variables...

Its a lot to remember, but like anything, it becomes second nature after a while.

What I love about it (aside from excitement and pay) is that I can leave work at work. I don't have to bring anything home with me. You do your job, and then youre done.
And again, it's always cool to see the overlap between audio engineering and radio communications.

Sent from my iPhone using Gearslutz
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFTT View Post

IT, specifically network security.

Hands on - Robotics, mechanical engineering.

Utilities, Communications.

You can also go for tour/show support jobs, lighting and sound techs,
acoustical engineering, electrician, that sort of tuff.

BINGO!
This is what I did; my company does audio design and install, IT AV, and lots of network Cat5e and fiber runs.
I would suggest you get into the IT side, instead of the physical infrastructure. I'm busy, but I wish I'd focused on the computer hardware and software layers, cause there's more work there, and higher pay.
Just look at the job listings in craigslist. Computer and network skills are ALWAYS in great demand.
And there are plenty of cross connections with the audio biz. Studios always need repairs, new cabling, maintenance, etc.

BTW, the residential building trades are dead, at least in the US, and until all the weight of unsold homes clears the market, and builders start filing for permits again in large numbers. Commercial electromechanical, electrical, and system controls work seems to be hot, but the residential market for trades in the US is a boneyard. It'll be a decade before that gravy train returns, if it does at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider View Post
This is so off target... IT and networking skills are one of the hottest sectors in the US economy, and one of the few areas still expanding. You think the demand for computer services is going to decrease anytime soon? And the volume of such work that specifically cannot be outsourced
(any hardware /software layer issue) is simply epic.
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear
ez money is in software development, 80-100k+ avg. salary
Old 1st January 2011
If you look at my business (home automation, I have a large software based automation product), it used to be about hooking up lights and a security system. But now so much of it is about setting up the home IT infrastructure and setting up the media management infrastructure to allow them to control their movies and music, whole home audio, etc... There is still a 'wire pulling' aspect to it, but you can always sub-contract that out to someone who specializes in that, and then you do the rest over that.
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

You've got a bunch of options from everyone, and they all sound good.

Here's another note: if you get into some technical field, whether software applications, networking, etc., and are still greedy for a bigger paycheck (I know the feeling) you can get into the technical side of sales. So-called "presales" guys for big-ticket software like Oracle, SAP and the others, who basically do the technical demos, typically gross $200-250k. If that's what you want, and you can tolerate an extremely high level of pressure, you can make enough to support a return to music/audio after a few years.

If you can find something you love that gives you a tolerable paycheck, all the better. What do you love doing?

WW
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

If I were just starting out, I'd look into one of four areas:

>software engineering

>medical field, such as lab workers, technologists, etc.

>telecommunications

>environmental related stuff

All of them require a 4-year degree (more or less) except the medical option can often be achieved through something like a 2-year associates degree. But these four seem to be where all the action is anymore

Please don't become a car salesman. You'll hate it (at least eventually)
Old 1st January 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by The dman View Post
Are you in a different Illinois than I am?

I think trades are a great idea. Something that can't be outsourced. If a home needs to be built, wired, heated and cooled, that just can not be done remotely. Mechanic is another viable option. Computer system instal and upgrade, anything that needs to be done "on site."
Old 1st January 2011
Gear Guru

Commercial, large scale HVAC and energy management has all kinds
possibilities, but residential can be tough and highly competitive.

I can only imagine HVAC guys can do quite well anywhere in the UAE
Old 6th January 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by piemanmusic View Post

I've been looking into health care, mainly on the dental side but its so hard to get in to.

Old 6th January 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:

Did you do your Masters at UQ? Im on the Gold Coast.
How hard was it to get into?
Hey Camron,
Sorry, haven't been on GS in a while.

Yeah I did my Masters at UQ. There are only 5 (ithink) Masters in Audiology programs in the country... The program at UQ is getting harder and harder to get into. There are soooooo many jobs available for Audiologists. One of the senior lecturers at uni said "we can't graduate enough students to fill jobs." That applies to the academic sector as well, the program is getting hundreds of applicants but only has about 30 places. I believe this is because they don't have enough academic staff to expand the program. I got so much more out of the program than i could have anticipated. I may look into medicine next year, so i know all the gab with admissions for dentistry/pharmacy/medicine.

Audiometry still has heaps of job vacancies too. Audiometrists have a much smaller scope of practice that is restricted to the provision of basic hearing assessments and the the provision of hearing aids. The money is still very good but the problem is trying to find a clinic to supervise you. some clinics offer supervision to audiometry students but you'll have to hunt them down. Also check out OTEN tafe. They are the only place that offers the program in audiometry/hearing aid provision.

Due to academic inflation there is a uni somewhere (i dont remember which) that offers a bachelor of audiometry. Google it.

I'm at a private ENT clinic on the gold coast.

In australia we have a "skills shortage" http://www.workingin-australia.com/v...ions-list.aspx Anything on that list has loads of government money thrown at it to encourage people into work. There are incentives for trades-people to take on apprentices and there is no shortage of work (except for air-conditioning instalation over the winter... stupid joke).

Also, i just crushed season 6 of dexter this sunday just gone... now i have another year to wait for my dexter fix.

Last edited by piemanmusic; 6th January 2011 at 08:48 AM.. Reason: edited so i could ramble more...
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search