The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
When do you sleep? Does it affect your productivity? Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

When do you sleep? Does it affect your productivity?

I am around 4 am every night. I am working but still feel like i waste time. Gonna try to go sleep earlier and wake up earlier to get more stuff done. Anyone experience a change in productivity by changing sleep schedules? weird question i know.
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear
Before I had a recent lay off I had a 9-5 and got so much done, but at the end of the day 5pm-till i could hardly think or work another job at my home studio. Late night hours can screw me up also...I have been hitting the bed at 4am saying i will be up at a decent time, but it doesn't happen and the day is gone. The best times for me is getting up at 10ish and going to bed by 2am at the latest. Most calls,scheduling, jobs and meetings come during the day hours, but a lot of bands want to record and work 5pm-till.

haha here it is 5am and i have managers calling me in a few hours to work out recordings for bands.
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Nut

I'm also a 10 to 2er. My girlfriend hates it. But I feel I just can't end the day unless I tinker in the studio. It's quiet and there is no interruptions or phone calls. Very peaceful. Knowone understands it.

However there is always a trade off. I get WAY more done if I get up early. But that would mean 'going to bed early' and that is the hardest thing for me to do. But early for me is 2am :-)
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

I'm up each day at 4:30am. I get a ton done before the phone and the rest of the world wakes up.

I turn into a pumpkin about 10pm.
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

11PM bed and up at 7AM.

High productivity and acute mental sharpness are my secret weapons.

However, I am in my 50s. Younger people often seem tired to me because they can't hit the bed until waaaaayyy after midnite.

Also many don't bathe when they get up. If you smell, you'll be fired here.
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
11PM bed and up at 7AM.
Also many don't bathe when they get up. If you smell, you'll be fired here.
Good business practice. I think i am gonna start the 10-2 plan and hopefully graduate to the 9-1 plan. Seems so hard tho. haha
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

i flipped schedules sometimes a few times a week..ie 10-7 to 7pm to 2 -10 am

[night sessions always stretched]

longest "day" 72 continuous hrs booked

longest week 128 hours billed in 7 days

once you get your 3rd wind it's auto pilot..mixing brain dead is sometimes better ..but tracking and punching can get dodgy on sessions with musicians

liquid crack is your friend [ 64 oz drink mix--- 52 oz diet pepsi + 12 oz black coffee on ice] 2 or 3 of these on a session and you are bugging
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Used to work best at night...up till 2am or so. But now, my best work is done in the morning right after the coffee kicks in. Must be getting older....

Cheers

Kris
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
i flipped schedules sometimes a few times a week..ie 10-7 to 7pm to 2 -10 am

[night sessions always stretched]

longest "day" 72 continuous hrs booked

longest week 128 hours billed in 7 days

once you get your 3rd wind it's auto pilot..mixing brain dead is sometimes better ..but tracking and punching can get dodgy on sessions with musicians

liquid crack is your friend [ 64 oz drink mix--- 52 oz diet pepsi + 12 oz black coffee on ice] 2 or 3 of these on a session and you are bugging
F*** me, I don't know how you still pull that behaviour. I know if I tried that stuff again today it would eat me real quick.......plenty in the past, but now? Naaaahhh...

Tracking and punching can get dodgy....LOL .....
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
F*** me, I don't know how you still pull that behaviour. I know if I tried that stuff again today it would eat me real quick.......plenty in the past, but now? Naaaahhh...

Tracking and punching can get dodgy....LOL .....
nah that was over a decade ago--- i can do 18 hrs today ..i only sleep 4 hours a day working or not ,,never slept more than 6 hrs in my life
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by studiostuff View Post
I'm up each day at 4:30am. I get a ton done before the phone and the rest of the world wakes up.

I turn into a pumpkin about 10pm.
Same here, I'm glad almost all the projects I do now are during day hours.
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
nah that was over a decade ago--- i can do 18 hrs today ..i only sleep 4 hours a day working or not ,,never slept more than 6 hrs in my life
So that was around when you were my age now....respec
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

If the artist is up for it I like to do the following.

Bedtime at 9 30pm

In the studio at 630am.

In my opinion despite these horrifying hours, singer's voices are great around this time.

You just gotta people who are willing to sacrifice all the trappings of the late night scene and who want to work earlier hours.

Feels awesome with a hit song ready for mastering under your belt and its 2pm!!!

And Im about to be 34 this year. Does that make me the oddball? I love going into the studio wicked early. Its like being that last man on earth.

PERFECT for vocal editing sessions lol

Peace
Illumination
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

I hit the sack by 9:00 most every night and get up at 4:30 the next morning to get the day job thing going by 5:30. Quite often, though, I'll get up during the night and spend a few minutes on a mix........I get some crazy ideas in the middle of the night.

I'll be 59 in a couple of weeks and my paying gig is pretty strenuous. I need sleep to be productive.

FWIW.........I save my vocal tracking for early Sunday morning when the house is empty and I am well rested.
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
11PM bed and up at 7AM.

High productivity and acute mental sharpness are my secret weapons.
Yeah, I`m 37 and recently adapted my sleep patterns. In my 20s I thought nothing to be in the studio at 1a or 3a in the morning, only to get about 5 hours of sleep and head back in. With kids and their school schedule, I have had to change my schedule so I can be awake and functioning for them. Now its 11p bed and I get up around 6a. Thats about 7 hours of sleep.

Granted, there are nights when I wake up at 3a and head into the studio for a bit. Music is a disease. What can I say?
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

HA! this is funny. just the other day i was thinking about this. i guess i must be wired differently than the rest of y'all. my productivity went when up when i switched my hours, but i went the other way. it's hard to make it past the 11:00 hump, but then if i stay up till 2 or 3 i feel this incredible creative wave of energy start around 11 or 12, and i get all the best creative ideas at that time. the sun wakes me up, i linger in bed for a bit, and by 9 or 10 i'm working again, well rested and sharp! i notice a lot of musicians experiencing the same thing. the technical people are usually early, and the artistic seem later, just as an over-genralization. really, though i do get the best vocal takes earlier in the day, but not too early, unless the tom waits style gravely voice is being recorded. wait till after a few laughs and some warm-up.
also, i've been reading in a lot of places that drinking coffee will actually lower your productivity over the long run. besides eating heathy and getting some exercise, staying free from any stimulants really increased my energy levels, on an overall, like, month-long period. way more than anything else, actually.
good luck!
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

I only do this for my own creative desire (and as a form of therapy), so I don't have to work around other peoples schedules so much. I do find I like mixing and editing in the afternoon. I used to be a night owl, and I like to track at night, but again, mixing and editing, daytime for sure!
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear
Ha I finally took some of my own advice and actually got up early today to get back on schedule. I can't start mixing until I get my starbucks and cig in of course! When I take a few days off to get the song out of my head I work a lot happier and more invested. Working on the same thing over and over can almost feel destructive and I have to either mix something else or take 2 days off then come back. Also as a musician recording other people for a living or part itme job really does help your own music more than you would think. so to those in the thread who do it for just themselves and have good gear give it a try. It allows you to home in on your mixing skills and tracking when recording other bands and focus more on your own music when you're doing you...I've seen so many home studio musicians with partial songs stacked high due to going off on a mixing tangent every part of the song as they are going and the song disapears into the bin.
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear
The brain works a little differently depending on time of day. Usually after 2am is when the biggest changes occur.

I tend to write a lot of music either around 2-4pm (afternoon sunlight) or late at night 12am-3am. Whenever we are recording, I usually stay up late and when late night kicks around, I feel like I'm taking over exactly where I left off 24 hours prior.
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Damn. I never slept more than six hours until I hit 50. I can still run on just a couple, but I'm pretty cranky and eloquently profane.

My sched. is similar to Unclenny's, but I hit the rack half hour later and get up half hour earlier. My day job is also physically and mentally stressful. And I save vocals for Sunday morning in the quiet. My voice ain't worth a ****, but at least it's quiet.
Old 31st December 2010
Gear Nut

I dont work in a studio, but on days when I am off and have the whole day in my home studio, I have noticed that:

- I need to be up for at least 2 hours until I work efficiently and with good results

- I really start to get down to business after my first cup of coffe

- If I work for more than 8 hours straight stuff turns out crappy and I have to spend an hour or two to fix it next session

- Inspiration always comes when I am away from the studio

As for regular work hours, I have none. I spend every spare second in the studio, which could be any hour of day really.
Old 31st December 2010
Gear Nut

My sleeping schedule is a disaster right now, I currently work my "day job" from about 9pm - 2am. Then I am up tinkering in the studio or vegging out until about 5 am. Go to sleep at 6, then I wake up at 2 and feel like I have wasted a good chunk of the day. Need to turn myself around asap.
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

Typical day ( I have home studios):

7am-Up to help with kids go to school
9am-Check emails/news/phone
10am-Start productions
12pm-Lunch then nap till 3pm
3pm-Listen to morning productions
6pm-10pm-Family Time
10pm-4am-Evening production (most creative time for me)
Old 31st December 2010
Gear Maniac

I remember when two of my friends were going to Full Sail (which has/had a rotating class schedule; one month classes were 8am-4pm, next month classes were midnight to 8am, or something like that), and they told me that they learned to sleep when they got tired, no matter what time of the day it is...

I have a rotating schedule for my day job, some days it's 6a-4p, some days it's 2p-10p, so I just adjust sleep depending on the day, and work with music/production in the in-between. My main client types (demo singer/songwriter's) don't mind at all...

It's very unsettling, which can be good for creative energy. For me at least... But I always get at least 5-6 hours of sleep in...

But no matter what time of day, coffee and a cigg are a must before anything else!!!
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

Like most of you I'm awake for 18-20 hours per day. And I have to say..... Most nights, almost every night when I fall asleep the last thing that goes through my head is.....

"please dear God let me live another day.... give me another breath of air...."

I feel like I won't be waking up the next day.... Its really an unhealthy life style. Playing music, running a studio, having a girlfriend and mortgage is looking like a very dangerous combo.
Old 31st December 2010
I'm another 10 to 2AM type person. No matter what might temporarily change that, I seem to fall right back into that naturally. I work for myself so I can sleep on any schedule I want, but I always revert to this same thing.

These days, I'm sleeping more than I used to though, partly maybe because I don't sleep as well. Every night it's like a movie directed by Oliver Stone on acid, just crazy dreams.

I can certainly understand the attraction of watching the sun rise, I just can't actually do it.
Old 31st December 2010
Gear Addict

I was waking up at 530am and working till 4 and tinkerin' till 1am. maybe on some of the more brutal days (Masonry), especially when it gets colder, I'd catch an hour snooze after I got home from work. I have to be productive to feel content. Funny thing is, in the summer, it's go go go and I have lots of energy, the winter I just drag after I get home from work.

I got my winter layoff and my schedule's all ****ed up now. Last night I went to sleep around 6am and woke up around 830 am. I slept again from 5 - 9pm and I'm probably up til tomorrow night. I create best first thing in the morning. Wake, get my pot of coffee going and start working. I see myself doing that around 4 or 5 this morning.heh

Probably get back on a regular schedule tomorrow night. bed At 1am and up at 6 or 7.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search