The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mackie 1604 Love Thread... Go Ahead... You Got a Story... Mixers (Analog)
Old 9th December 2014
Gear Nut
I produced and mixed a single in 1994 on a 1604 that had huge local success. The "BIG" studio in the area had Neve and SSL boards. One day I was chatting with the head engineer of that studio who had just completed sessions with Foster and Gatica and the single that I had produced came up. He asked which SSL had I mixed it on because he "KNOWS" that's an SSL sound.....Obviously he was shocked when I told him the whole thing was done on a 1604 and ADATS..lol
Old 9th December 2014
Gear Guru

I sure put mine through its paces and learned a lot in the process.
Value to performance was really pretty good back then.

It also permitted me to keep everything I used hooked up and ready to go.

Mackie 1604 1st Gen.
Tascam 488
Pioneer duel cassette for dubs and bounces.
Marantz 2252-B receiver for power amp
ART FXR Elite Reverb
Alesis 3630

Ensoniq EPS with on board 8 channel sequencer.
Infinity SM-82's for near fields.

Even though I was flying by the seat of my pants, everything made sense.
Old 9th December 2014
Lives for gear
As far as the question concerning what 90s records were recorded on the old Mackie 1604 VLZ there are supposedly a number of them. Some years ago this issue came up on the now defunked Studio Forums site, and a pretty impressive list was amassed at the time. Anyway, why not? Lots of great recordings have been done with less…
Old 9th December 2014
Gear Guru

Even at early 1604 level, just the experience, grasping the signal path and routing, riding those faders in a complex mix was much more intuitive than screwing with my current M-Audio Project Mix and on screen automation.
Old 9th December 2014
Lives for gear

I cut my teeth at home and on stage with a 1604 while interning at a place that had s beautiful Trident. That very same 1604 did 4 national tours and countless regional as well as two weeks of f***ing burning man, where I obviously had to have it cleaned afterwards. It served as my live and stage rig till only several years ago when I finally needed a higher channel count and picked up an a and h for my live work.
I sold it to someone who probably isn't using it much but considering the legacy its had that's probably best. A track I recorded on it many many years ago still brings in enough revenue to pay several website hosting fees. I have higher end stuff now but that little workhorse caught some real emotion, mixed some pretty amazing bands and artists and had taught a young would be audio engineer a lot about the art of live sound.
I know no behringer pos could have put up with half the abuse that 1604 did and im skeptical of many others as well. So... although I probably will never buy another that little beast served me well.

Last edited by omnialinx; 9th December 2014 at 06:12 PM.. Reason: grammar
Old 9th December 2014
Gear Guru

A power surge took mine out.

I can't speak for later Mackie stuff, but I have to agree, for the time, for the money, I totally got my money's worth out of it.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search