The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Coles 4038 OK for side on M/S acoustic guitar? Condenser Microphones
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Nut

Coles 4038 OK for side on M/S acoustic guitar?

I am looking to track a Dylan-esque acoustic guitar to accompany voice only, in a folk song. I have a nice Schoenberg mahogany OM and was going to track a mono LDC back from the bridge 18 to 30 inches. My available LDC is a Rode K2 with NOS Bugle Boy tube.

I have a Coles 4038 which I was thinking of setting up giving me the option of 'side' in M/S with the K2 being 'mid'. I would track through A-Pacifica or Millenia SST - will try both.

I will have also an SM7b which I was going to try instead of K2. The room is large, untreated, but sounds good, and quiet enough after hours.

I'd welcome the input of anyone who has done something similar. The K2 has omni or figure 8, so there are options..

Dave
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveybouy View Post
I
I have a Coles 4038 which I was thinking of setting up giving me the option of 'side' in M/S with the K2 being 'mid'. I would track through A-Pacifica or Millenia SST - will try both.
All I'd say is that in my experience the Coles 4038 needs careful positioning on acoustic guitars: it will give you a lot of bottom end (and possibly exaggerate any boominess in the guitar) without giving you very much upper-mid range or top end.

That's not to say it can't do that though. Putting it on the side of the guitar is a good idea from that point of view. But make sure you listen carefully with headphones and position and re-position before you hit record: it's tricky to get that clear-as-a-bell, plectrum-on-the-string conventional guitar sound with a Coles. That's what I've found, anyway. Depends on the acoustic guitar, of course.
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Coles 4038 OK for side on M/S acoustic guitar?

Hey,
I don't think you are going to get much boominess from the Coles if it is the side mic as the guitar will be off axis. I'd say go for it, sounds like a pretty good setup to me. I use coles for ambience a lot and they sound great.
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

nice room, high gain about a meter in front, blumlein works well
a great EQ can really open up a 4038 nicely
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Listening on isolation headphones while you position the microphones can be very helpful. Then you hear what the mics hear. That takes the guessing about positioning out of the question.
Old 31st December 2010
Gear Nut

Just out of interest.. are there examples of M/S being used for vocals? I'm just getting into M/S now that I have a couple of decent Figure-8's. I wondered if I may as well set up M/S for vocal takes which might provided options later for mixing (ie subtle spatial effects)... Anyone do this?
Old 31st December 2010
Gear Nut

As much as I love the Coles ribbons I would think they (and most other ribbons) might be a bad choice as "side" mics in an M/S configuration as the positive and negative lobes in the mic's pattern aren't close enough sonically for accurate stereo decoding later. In my experience high quality pattern selectable condenser mics set for bi-directional work better as side mics.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search