The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Starting a mix studio for $4-5k? Studio Monitors
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Before doing it.

Just my two cents here!!

Before you start offering your service to clients don't be so naive like I was and think a mix is mix, and mixing should not be too difficult.tutt

Mixing is an art and knowing how to do it right is like learning to play an instrument.

I stooped mixing for clients because it takes me some more time to become more professional ...
This is the 6th year and I see many wholes in my know-how and in my room- treatment.
I guess it will take me another twelve months before I can say I am satisfied with my mixes and they step over the rating "FAIR".

I dont say my mixes are bad per-se, but they are also far away from professional and they are just fair mixes which translate OK!!

I think 4 to 6 years training is a good start before offering it to clients.
Before offering mixing- doing clinics; asking professionals how to train tracking and mixing is a good start.

BTW-
I think most GS overrate gear instead of know how and experience.
But know how and experience is what the clients pay for. And everything you learn in theory (books) must be practiced in real.

Choose know how- it will last longer than gear.
Happy new 2011 - Holmy!!
Old 30th December 2010
Starting a mix studio for $4-5k?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefy
I would get on ebay and spend every cent of it on a nice recording console. If your going to record to daw I would get buy the best converts available then save up till I had about 4 to 5 grand again and get on ebay and spend every cent of it on a nice recording console.
That's a terrible idea.

He's talking about a mix studio not a tracking studio. No point in a console with no outboard.
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

monitors + room (acoustics and ergonomics)!!!

maybe better converters/interface & monitor controller... but please follow everything therealbigd said if you have already the skills to take it seriously!
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
That's a terrible idea.

He's talking about a mix studio not a tracking studio. No point in a console with no outboard.
Its not that bad an idea (but I reckon not the best option). You can do compression and other processing as plug-ins, and use the console for some EQ, mixing with faders and summing. I've done it like this before, and I found it a pretty good workflow, aside from the fact that recall is not very convenient.
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by beebay007 View Post
Its not that bad an idea (but I reckon not the best option). You can do compression and other processing as plug-ins, and use the console for some EQ, mixing with faders and summing. I've done it like this before, and I found it a pretty good workflow, aside from the fact that recall is not very convenient.
But you're shelling out a lot of money on mic pres that you'll never use, so that you can use a $4-5k desk EQ (not gonna get far with that), when for $800 you could emulate digitally 48 channels of SSL channel strips which would cost you $100,000+ second hand.

As for summing, that's a bit of a myth. On a nice Manley summing mixer, maybe. But putting faders to 0 on an average console vs ITB mix is not a change worthy of buying a bloody great lump of metal to stick in the middle of the room.
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HOLMES View Post
Just my two cents here!!

Before you start offering your service to clients don't be so naive like I was and think a mix is mix, and mixing should not be too difficult.tutt

Mixing is an art and knowing how to do it right is like learning to play an instrument.

I stooped mixing for clients because it takes me some more time to become more professional ...
This is the 6th year and I see many wholes in my know-how and in my room- treatment.
I guess it will take me another twelve months before I can say I am satisfied with my mixes and they step over the rating "FAIR".

I dont say my mixes are bad per-se, but they are also far away from professional and they are just fair mixes which translate OK!!

I think 4 to 6 years training is a good start before offering it to clients.
Before offering mixing- doing clinics; asking professionals how to train tracking and mixing is a good start.

BTW-
I think most GS overrate gear instead of know how and experience.
But know how and experience is what the clients pay for. And everything you learn in theory (books) must be practiced in real.

Choose know how- it will last longer than gear.
Happy new 2011 - Holmy!!
A great post, but unfortunately nobody will listen.

This site is primarily for people who think gear is the answer to everything. As I've said a lot of times...

If it doesn't sound good, throw money at it!
Old 31st December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by fataltone View Post
going itb is probably your best bet for the money
start off with
some better monitors $2,500 pair
Auralex SpeakerDude HD

Isolation Pads for Speakers, Computers, or Other Home Electronic $80.00 4for a pair

and a dangerous d-box good for the great d/a converters,summing possiblies, and monitoring $1,400

use stock plugs and
Waves Renaissance Maxx TDM Renaissance Maxx Bundle Including 7 Audio Processing Plug-Ins - TDM $600

make money off your business then buy UAD Omni package

now pro tools do this

Digidesign Mbox 2 Micro $250.00

USB Audio Interface with Pro Tools LE Software - 24-bit/48kHz USB Playback Interface

The Digidesign Mbox 2 Micro answers the demands of Pro Tools users worldwide by offering a way to edit and mix with Pro Tools LE anywhere you go! That's right, this USB device that's about the same size as a common jump drive allows you to take your Pro Tools Sessions on the road — record on your HD or LE rig and use the Mbox 2 Micro to mix on a laptop while riding in a plane, in the park... anywhere you want. The Mbox 2 Micro is portable Pro Tools power!
you'll be able to mix pt sessions without investing heavy into the pro tools world!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

that's around $4,800 once shipping/cords etc...

$200 for making your room more comfortable

add outboard gear as money comes
I don't have anything to suggest besides a colored compressor
after reading your second post.. you have all the plugs you need...
so I stand by this suggestion

some more accurate monitors

the acoustic pads to go under your monitors

dangerous d-box 4 summing and monitoring the d/a is amazing

get ear training(not saying your not good at mixing) but we can all use this

get that Pro Tool Micro too

outboard compressor(for flavor and character)
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2bonoman View Post
How would one (one being me) go about doing this? How would you spend $4-5k appropriately for starting a mixing studio? Already have the computer, as well as Sonar, but I'm sure I'd need to get an LE version of Pro Tools before I'd get clients. Already have a treated room as well.
$2.5k on mixing lessons from the best in your area

$2.5k on monitors, a Mackie onyx blackjack (good cheap DAC) and some plug ins.

People telling you to spend money on external signal processors are insane.

All you need is a good monitoring chain, and knowledge of how to use various plug ins and digital FX to achieve the sound you want. Knowing what this sound is beforehand is half the battle, attaining it efficiently is the other half.

The actual tools you use matters maybe about 1%. Waves, UAD, Voxengo, they all accomplish the same things in the right hands and ears. Its not about the gear, its how you use it. Biggest secret on gearslutz, trust me Ive been here since 2003.
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

WOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealbigd View Post
A great post, but unfortunately nobody will listen.

This site is primarily for people who think gear is the answer to everything. As I've said a lot of times...

If it doesn't sound good, throw money at it!
How can gear be the answer to get a great balanced mix?

If I cant balance the mix ITB- I also cant balance it on an SSL 4 K console with 200K $ Outboard.
(I am sure I would fail 100% on the board as with ITB!!! = Lack of experience OTB, special SSL!!- SMILE)

Its just the lack that I cant do it yet, but I can learn it.

Thats it - gear cant replace experience to me!!!
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HOLMES View Post
How can gear be the answer to get a great balanced mix?

If I cant balance the mix ITB- I also cant balance it on an SSL 4 K console with 200K $ Outboard.
(I am sure I would fail 100% on the board as with ITB!!! = Lack of experience OTB, special SSL!!- SMILE)

Its just the lack that I cant do it yet, but I can learn it.

Thats it - gear cant replace experience to me!!!
You are correct.

My 'If it doesn't sound good, throw money at it' thing is my sarcastic GS answer not my real answer. Unfortunately GS isn't about talking sense it's about adding more gear to your chain to further mess things up.
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealbigd View Post
You are correct.

My 'If it doesn't sound good, throw money at it' thing is my sarcastic GS answer not my real answer. Unfortunately GS isn't about talking sense it's about adding more gear to your chain to further mess things up.
Thats the reason why I ask for years for a sub forum where not gear- but experience can be discussed.

May one day my call for it will be heard.heh
Old 31st December 2010
Vum
Lives for gear

1. an accountant
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
But you're shelling out a lot of money on mic pres that you'll never use, so that you can use a $4-5k desk EQ (not gonna get far with that), when for $800 you could emulate digitally 48 channels of SSL channel strips which would cost you $100,000+ second hand.
????? There practically giving away great consoles on ebay you can get a neotek for about What it should cost to ship them. You can get mci 16 channels for like 3000 dollars. How is a Great mixing consule not a better option to mix with? You going to tell me that's not going to sound better than your mbox and protools? A good computer recording set up that actually sounds good will probably cost way more than 100,000
Old 31st December 2010
Gear Addict

I think a console would be crazy in that price range because you would need to have enough DA convertors to use it. I would get the best speakers you can afford with a decent 2 channel DA convertor if that doesn't blow your budget. Stay ITB and maybe try the Steven Slate console emulation plug when it comes out. I can't remember what plugs you have but maybe consider Soundtoys and/or Altiverb if there are any lacks with the verbs and delays that come with WAves Gold.

All the business stuff mentioned above is good advice as well if that is the direction you want to go. I can't remember if you were wanting to make a commercial or a more private mix studio.
Old 31st December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by emfrank72 View Post
I think a console would be crazy in that price range because you would need to have enough DA convertors to use it. I would get the best speakers you can afford with a decent 2 channel DA convertor if that doesn't blow your budget. Stay ITB and maybe try the Steven Slate console emulation plug when it comes out. I can't remember what plugs you have but maybe consider Soundtoys and/or Altiverb if there are any lacks with the verbs and delays that come with WAves Gold.

All the business stuff mentioned above is good advice as well if that is the direction you want to go. I can't remember if you were wanting to make a commercial or a more private mix studio.

1.exactly monitors and monitoring system
2.exactly d/a converter

now dangerous d-box will give you a excellcent d/a converter and monitoring system(and Summing possiblies)
and he was worrying about if he needed protools that's why I said get the Pro Tools Micro.. where you can mix and edit ppl's session just using a flash drive
and I suggested taking ear training
to understand what you hear

and I also suggested a outboard compressor which yeah can come much later.....
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefy View Post
????? There practically giving away great consoles on ebay you can get a neotek for about What it should cost to ship them. You can get mci 16 channels for like 3000 dollars. How is a Great mixing consule not a better option to mix with? You going to tell me that's not going to sound better than your mbox and protools? A good computer recording set up that actually sounds good will probably cost way more than 100,000
Yes because all you need to mix on a desk is the desk itself.

MCI for $3000 leaves $1.5k to get it serviced, buy outboard, buy speakers, amps, and all the stuff I mentioned in part one. Not going to work is it?

Get over it, it's sad but the modern low-budget mix studio has to be DAW based. $100,000 you say? I have a fine sounding computer-based setup costing less than $10,000.
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor View Post
Hire the best publicist or agent you can that has connections with the majors for that money. Offer them a cut off every mixing job they bring you.

No amount of gear or plug ins is going to bring in the clients with the songs that really matter for breaking a mix engineers career. You need those connects or you will be another one of thousands offering their mixing services on Craiglist that no one really pays attention to or cares about unfortunately.
yup. exactly.

best

jchristopherhughes

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search