The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Reel to Reel
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Head

Reel to Reel

Ok I'm a young pup and have never had any experience with reel to reel recording. I was wondering if there would be an affordable used reel to reel recorder to use in my studio. I was wondering if it would be possible to run a mix out of my computer, onto tape, and then back to digital to get an analog sound. It may not work, but I've heard of it being done in mastering.
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Maniac

I have never tried what you are looking to do... If you are looking for an affordable machine... you might not notice anything, except for the signal to get noisier. (I'm thinking of the Teac models) However if you were looking into some nicer machines like Ampex or Studer... you might see some flavor coming into the DAW...

What many people do it track initially to tape, then ship it to the DAW.

Anyone else to this DAW to tape to DAW.

There was a recent thread about someone providing a service that will do exactly what you speak of. If I remember, the company or guy had a Otari MTR something that he would run digital mixes through and send them back.
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

IMHO, any machine that you can afford with a couple of weeks wages (think TEAC/TASCAM 16 tracks) won't necessarily get the sound you're after... you might need to think bigger.

I'd recommend looking for a reasonably professional 2-track, which you could use to send tracks to as an effect. You could hit the track harder or less hard for subtle or less subtle compression/distortion. You could also use it for sending entire mixes to.

Either way, welcome to the world of tape... there are countless hours of aligning and calibrating the machine, replacing parts, troubleshooting, buying new tape, relapping/replacing heads and inhaling isopropyl alcohol all day. Don't let that put you off though! It's great!
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

in the time it took me to post, someone said basically what I said.
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by NF Audio View Post
in the time it took me to post, someone said basically what I said.

speed typing
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
Thanks, boss.
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzarkRoots View Post
Ok I'm a young pup and have never had any experience with reel to reel recording. I was wondering if there would be an affordable used reel to reel recorder to use in my studio. I was wondering if it would be possible to run a mix out of my computer, onto tape, and then back to digital to get an analog sound. It may not work, but I've heard of it being done in mastering.
+1 on the 2-track idea. Send the tapes to mastering.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search