The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
SSD VS HDD for studio recording...
Old 29th December 2010
Here for the gear

SSD VS HDD for studio recording...

I am looking to purchase a new computer for music recording and mixing. i am also very much into photography and so i'm considering getting a laptop (for portability). the thing is, i've heard that there are issues with hard drive access in non-solid state hard drives found in many laptops. does anyone have any experience recording in protools on a laptop with a non solid state drive? when you strap on a lot of plugins and have say 32 tracks or more, do you start to experience drive access latency or overall system performance issues? any feedback would be greatly appreciated. thanks!
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Maniac

plugins are dependant on CPU power, the amount of tracks played in any DAW on a standard 7100rpm harddisk depends on the buffersize in the DAW, but can easily exceed 128 tracks. You shouldn't worry about it. It's cool to have a solid-state drive but I think the cost does not outweigh the benefits. There's also the BIG disadvantage that solid state drives have a LOT less writeability before bits start to become corrupted, and if you're planning to record alot, then delete, then record, then delete, etc, then the lifespan of a solid state disk is something to worry about.

This is just from reading alot about SSD, so if someone knows better I'd be happy to be corrected.
Old 19th January 2011
Lives for gear

Maybe more info? please.
Old 25th March 2011
Gear Maniac

@r4uz thank you much for the insight. I'm seriously contemplating getting an SSD for my "project drive" because of their fast read/write abilities. But you've raised an interesting concern. The reason I call it "project drive", is because I only keep whatever current projects I'm working on and have all others on a 1.5TB HDD. I actually like having only 250GB for the project drive. But I do erase and record on it ALOT. So, I'd be interested to know how accurate your statement is. Thanks again!
Old 26th March 2011
Gear Addict
I have a SSD as my System Drive and i love it. Everything happens so fast.
It's great! My working projects run on a 10'000RPM WD Raptor and are,
once completed, stored on a normal SATAII Drive.

But i don't know if it boosts my DAW performance. Haven't had the motivation
to do an A/B test. But it's fast enough for me. Never had any issues.

Running Win7 btw.
Old 26th March 2011
Lives for gear

The "runs out of space" issue mentioned by r4uz was a problem with early ssd's and has been rectified in more current models, afaik. Also the cost is steadily dropping. However, they are more beneficial in situations where many files need to be accessed quickly - in the music world this is samples, rather than streaming tracks. Any decent 7200rpm drive should be able to handle even large track counts (with the accompanying decent CPU and ram). A dedicated hard drive for audio data separate from the "system" drive would do you more good, IMHO, than a single ssd. That said, I'm running two SSDs in my system and they are wicked fast!
Old 26th March 2011
Gear Maniac

SSD

Running my Os plugs and Audio off one SSD works flawless was using a Raptor but it could'nt keep up with the SSD and I started to get lag on loading things as a sessions was running so moved it all to the SSD works fine, boot time is quick same for loading projects really quick. Just expensive compared to regular Drives but so is a Raptor or 10k drive from Hitachi.
Old 22nd June 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Ale View Post
Running my Os plugs and Audio off one SSD works flawless was using a Raptor but it could'nt keep up with the SSD and I started to get lag on loading things as a sessions was running so moved it all to the SSD works fine, boot time is quick same for loading projects really quick. Just expensive compared to regular Drives but so is a Raptor or 10k drive from Hitachi.
what SSD drive are you using, if i may ask?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search