The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Pacifica or ??? for OH's Ribbon Microphones
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Addict

Pacifica or ??? for OH's

I tried reading through a few posts but haven't really gotten much info. I'm trying to improve my OH drum sound a bit. My room has a fairly low ceiling and after careful mic placement and exhaustive EQ'ing I'm 90% happy with what I'm getting. I'm running my Shure SM 81's through 2 channels of a Focusrite Red 1 right now. I love the Focusrite Red on Toms (the other 2 channels) but I'm not blown away it on Overheads.

All my other high end pre's are single channels so I'm leaning towards an A-Design Pacifica. I've had them used on OH's quite a few times when Iv'e done drum sessions and when solo'd I have always liked what they picked up and added to the overall drum sound. I can't say there are many other stereo Pre-amps on my list that I've heard really shine on OH's but I am curious about the BLA Auteur (I love what they did on my MOTU stuff). Also heard great things about the OVerstayer Channel Amps of which I get 2 (I adore my Overstayer Comp).

Would love to get some opinions relating pretty much strictly to overheads and adding a bit of 'mojo' from a pre. If anything I'm finding the Red a tad dull in the higher frequencies BTW.
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

Can't go wrong with the Pacifica in my opinion. I've used it on overheads with great results. If you are looking for a smoother OH sound, something NEVE inspired that may round off the transients a tad might be the ticket. I've used my Vintech 272 specifically for that purpose and been very pleased. - paul
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

+1 on Pacifica. Beautiful top end. In a good sounding room, record with the pad engaged! Simply a great preamp, one of many great preamps out there, but this is one of my favorites.
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Head

I use my Pacifica all the time for over heads and I think it is just lovely, however room treatment , if you don't have any, might make a bigger difference. I have a nice big vaulted room, about 18 feet at its peak, and using a set of movable bass traps makes a huge difference.
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Royer sf-12 dominates overheads in my place these days.
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halloween View Post
Royer sf-12 dominates overheads in my place these days.
The PACIFICA is a killer pre, I strongly recommend it---however in this case I hardly think that replacing the RED with a Pacifica is the solution. The SM81's are "okay" mics, but they don't come close to something like Earthworks QTC30's or as this poster suggested, the Royer SF12. I've used the SF12, SF24, and R122's on drums time and time again with the RED and other pres, some that were of lesser quality---THOSE MICS MAKE ALL THE DIFFERENCE IN THE WORLD. Again, buy a Pacifica when you can---but in this case, don't buy it to continue using the SM81's. Seriously, get a Royer SF12 and you'll be more than happy you did. The RED is not dull in the higher frequencies, the SM81's are.
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

As much as I absolutely love my Pacifica and P1's on virtually everything, I have to agree with the other Brad. Upgrade your mics if you want to upgrade your overhead sound.

While the SF12 is lovely on overheads it would not be my choice in an acoustically challenged room or one that has low ceilings. I personally would get some Oktava MC012's and then have them modded at Oktavamod. Those mics (stock or modded) are really darn good in low ceiling rooms. I've actually started using my Oktavas again for overheads and forgot how good they sounded.

Brad
Old 6th January 2011
500 series nutjob

A-Design Pacifica, or a lunchbox and some P-1 or EM-BLUE's

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search