The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
electric guitar effect pedals
Old 29th December 2010
  #1
Gear Nut
 

electric guitar effect pedals

Several years ago I bought my first electric guitar and a few accessories that I still use, namely a Zoom effects pedal (if you can call it a pedal). It's been enough to satisfy my needs up to now, but now that I am a better guitar player and interested in actually recording my work, I'm looking for a significant upgrade.

I'd like something with a pedal that increases the degree of the effect relative to how hard it is pressed, and the ability to easily save and recall preset effects; I would like to access these presets quickly enough to make a smooth transition in effects in a live setting.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I don't know how much the better models usually cost, but I have a budget of about 500 dollars. Obviously, the more bang for the buck, the better.

Furthermore, I want something that will stretch the limits of what an electric guitar can even sound like. Ideally, this new hardware will allow me to achieve both clean, obviously guitar-sounding effects as well as abstract, highly-distorted sounds that may not resemble the sound of a guitar whatsoever.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Old 29th December 2010
  #2
This is a tough question to answer without more information.

1) What kind of amp do you have?
2) Do you like the sound of your amp a lot...or are you looking for amp sims?
3) Do you want analog or digital effects?
4) What types of effects do you like the most/least?
5) What style(s) of music do you mostly play?
6) When recording, will it be DI through the effects box, or using an amp?
7) Are you looking for a compact all in one, or individual pedals?

Like you said, it's going to be very difficult to find a quality multi-fx box for your price range.

Also, you have to consider, if you have a really high quality amp, then you might not want to degrade that signal with a bunch of cheapo multi-fx.

If you can hold out and save up about $300, then you can start finding some seriously good multi-fx boxes on the used market.

Everyone and their dog is going to have an opinion on this, so do your own research, and if you can, TRY these effects with your guitar and your rig. The one that sounds best to you is the best one.

Just so that you know my bias, I had single effects for years, and then switched to multi-fx pedals for compactness and convenience...and then I got a great amp and now I'm back to recommending single, high quality effects.
So keep that in mind.

My recommendations:

Multi-FX (if that's what you really want)-
1) If you can save, check out a Boss GT10. You can get one used for around $300. Of multi boxes, this is one of the better units.
2) Basically, look at any of the VOX, line 6 multiFX stuff for under $200. Personally, I've never heard a digitech product that I've liked, but YMMV.

Single pedals (my personal recommendation):

1) I'm a huge EHX fan. They have such unique, quality effects that really have a lot of flexibility. So you could get a combination of say a Metal Muff/Big muff for distortion needs and then get a Worm and a memory boy for weirder stuff. This would cover a surprising amount of ground.

2) For cheap and decent, you cant go wrong with Boss. Yeah, theyre not as exciting (or as quality) as say Toadworks or Diamond...but shoot, you can find some Boss effects on just about any major rock record you can think of.
If it sounds good, it is good. Get a variety of Distortion, Chorus, Phaser, and delay and you'll cover a lot of ground again.


Also, try to test out the 67,876 other opinions that you'll get on this thread, and ultimately, use your ears.
Old 29th December 2010
  #3
Lives for gear
 

The Eventide stomp boxes seem to be wonderful units and are full of tons of different FX options. They are above your budget, but for the quality of the effects, they are totally worth it. I've got the Pitchfactor box Eventide PitchFactor Harmonizer Pedal | Sweetwater.com and it can do fuzz distortion, all sorts of delays, chorusy type stuff, and tons of pitch effects. True bypass and able to be operated at line level as well. Everything from subtle effect sounds to ones that totally change the sound of your instrument. Best of luck. - paul

p.s. - As the previous poster mentioned, more info would help with suggestions.
Old 29th December 2010
  #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by riffmachine View Post
The Eventide stomp boxes seem to be wonderful units and are full of tons of different FX options. They are above your budget, but for the quality of the effects, they are totally worth it. I've got the Pitchfactor box Eventide PitchFactor Harmonizer Pedal | Sweetwater.com and it can do fuzz distortion, all sorts of delays, chorusy type stuff, and tons of pitch effects. True bypass and able to be operated at line level as well. Everything from subtle effect sounds to ones that totally change the sound of your instrument. Best of luck. - paul

p.s. - As the previous poster mentioned, more info would help with suggestions.
Yeah, if he can wait and save up then certainly eventide is amazing. I was trying to suggest things a little closer to his stated budget.
Old 29th December 2010
  #5
Gear Nut
 

Well, let's see if I can systematically answer your questions:

I'm not happy with the amp I use now, its only a 20W Ibanez with internal pre-amp effects (meaning simple overdrive controls like high-mid-low, gain, reverb, etc.). However, I have an Orange 120W Twin Channel Pre-amp, but no cab to attach it to , so when I get a good cab, I'll have more than enough power and a great, clean sound from the Orange pre-amp. As far as amp sims, I don't really know much about them although I understand their function. Not sure about those.

As for analog/digital and multi/single, I'm leaning toward as much versatility and flexibility as possible so I can create a lot of different sounds. I'm still experimenting with my style, and I'd like to be able to create as many sounds as possible. I like effects that are both clean (sounds like a guitar naturally sounds) as well as very highly distorted (sounds nothing like a guitar/ more like another instrument).

I play mostly Blues, but my personal style can be described as progressive and rhythm-heavy.

I plan to record both MIDI and live sound, depending on my goals for that particular project. I would say more often I'll be recording digitally than say XLR inputs from mics (although I will do this fairly often, as well).


As for my budget: I lied heh, I could manage to spend as much as $500 on a pedal, but with so many items on my wishlist, I try to save as much as I can wherever possible. The original stated price range was simply what I expected most pedals to cost, but (of course) they cost much more than what I expected haha
Old 29th December 2010
  #6
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draw the Moral View Post
Yeah, if he can wait and save up then certainly eventide is amazing. I was trying to suggest things a little closer to his stated budget.
Yeah, I know. My suggestion is more than double his budget unfortunately. He's kind of asking for a lot though. If he really wants great sound quality, it's going to be hard to find the all in one box that is cheap. The Line 6 boxes might be worth checking out. I've got the green delay one which is very nice. Still, it's not a jack of all trades box and it's also more than his budget. Maybe he'd be better off with something like a cheap rack unit and using a MIDI pedal to change presets live. Maybe a TC Electronics G Major. They just came out with the 2nd version of this, but the first version is still up for sale at some places. TC Electronic G-Major Guitar Processor - paul
Old 29th December 2010
  #7
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by riffmachine View Post
Yeah, I know. My suggestion is more than double his budget unfortunately. He's kind of asking for a lot though. If he really wants great sound quality, it's going to be hard to find the all in one box that is cheap. The Line 6 boxes might be worth checking out. I've got the green delay one which is very nice. Still, it's not a jack of all trades box and it's also more than his budget. Maybe he'd be better off with something like a cheap rack unit and using a MIDI pedal to change presets live. Maybe a TC Electronics G Major. They just came out with the 2nd version of this, but the first version is still up for sale at some places. TC Electronic G-Major Guitar Processor - paul
Yeah, I'm willing to spend more than my initially stated budget. Didn't realize great pedals cost so much (but what doesn't in the world of pro audio)
Old 29th December 2010
  #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjs View Post
Well, let's see if I can systematically answer your questions:

I'm not happy with the amp I use now, its only a 20W Ibanez with internal pre-amp effects (meaning simple overdrive controls like high-mid-low, gain, reverb, etc.). However, I have an Orange 120W Twin Channel Pre-amp, but no cab to attach it to , so when I get a good cab, I'll have more than enough power and a great, clean sound from the Orange pre-amp. As far as amp sims, I don't really know much about them although I understand their function. Not sure about those.

As for analog/digital and multi/single, I'm leaning toward as much versatility and flexibility as possible so I can create a lot of different sounds. I'm still experimenting with my style, and I'd like to be able to create as many sounds as possible. I like effects that are both clean (sounds like a guitar naturally sounds) as well as very highly distorted (sounds nothing like a guitar/ more like another instrument).

I play mostly Blues, but my personal style can be described as progressive and rhythm-heavy.

I plan to record both MIDI and live sound, depending on my goals for that particular project. I would say more often I'll be recording digitally than say XLR inputs from mics (although I will do this fairly often, as well).


As for my budget: I lied heh, I could manage to spend as much as $500 on a pedal, but with so many items on my wishlist, I try to save as much as I can wherever possible. The original stated price range was simply what I expected most pedals to cost, but (of course) they cost much more than what I expected haha
Well, this is just one man's opinion, so take it with a grain of salt.

I've been playing guitar for 17 years, and 5 of those years professionally.
For the first ten years of my playing I went through cheapo guitars, cheapo amps and cheapo effects. I would buy, get sick of it, sell or trade and repeat process.

Finally, I got to the point where I realized how stupid the cycle was...and I changed my method.

So now, my motto with anything musical is "As much as possible, buy once, buy smart."

So the Orange head is good. If you can stretch to $500, then why not go ahead and get a decent cab? Like this maybe:
Orange 4X12 Cabinet (PPC412) - eBay (item 180605718472 end time Dec-30-10 16:32:20 PST)

You can sell off your 20W, and then you'll have a VERY good amp.

The reason why I say this is because you won't really know what the effects sound like until you are putting them through a quality amp.

Once the guitar (I'm assuming you've already got a decent axe) and the amp are taken care of, THEN you can worry about FX.

Until then, it's just a crap shoot. Your sound is only as good as your weakest link. And if there's a bunch of weak links, then replacing a broken link with a different weak link only muddles the problem even further.

Get your guitar and amp solved, then you can make some good choices about effects.

And honestly, it's less money in the long run. I speak from experience.

YMMV.
Old 29th December 2010
  #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjs View Post
Yeah, I'm willing to spend more than my initially stated budget. Didn't realize great pedals cost so much (but what doesn't in the world of pro audio)
As a general rule with guitar effects, as features go up and price goes down, the quality goes down.

As features get more specific and price goes up, quality goes up.

Of course, there are exceptions and little obscure gems...but the rule generally holds true.

For example, look at the price of an Eventide Time Factor. http://www.eventide.com/AudioDivisio...imeFactor.aspx
That's strictly a delay/reverb pedal.
Then, look at the price of a Boss ME-25 or Line 6 or digitech with 25 on board effects.
Shure, the Boss isn't terrible, but each effect is going to be bare bones, and the overall sound quality isn't something to write home about...and with a great guitar and amp...it will be pretty disappointing.

Compare the boss's delay with the eventide. No contest.

You get what you pay for.
Old 29th December 2010
  #10
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draw the Moral View Post
As a general rule with guitar effects, as features go up and price goes down, the quality goes down.
As features get more specific and price goes up, quality goes up.
Of course, there are exceptions and little obscure gems...but the rule generally holds true.
You get what you pay for.
I totally agree with this. - paul
Old 29th December 2010
  #11
Gear Nut
 

Man, I definitely want the best quality, but with a wishlist that already tops out at $2000 NOT including a new guitar/cab/pedal, it seems like I'm a long way away from getting my hands on this stuff.

Is it really that useful to use an Orange cab with the Orange head? The link you provided had a minimum bid of $600 for the 4x12 Orange cab , and then I'd have to purchase a Boss ME or Eventide for ~$300-500, and at some point I definitely need to upgrade my guitar (still using my first ever, a Mexican Strat).

Is it possible to do tracking through a great pair of cans that are directly hooked up to the Orange head without a cab? Or is the cab necessary to produce sound for the headphones? Sorry if that's a stupid question, I'm only just getting started with taking this hobby in the direction of a professional career.
Old 29th December 2010
  #12
Lives for gear
 
guitarwolle's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjs View Post
I'm only just getting started with taking this hobby in the direction of a professional career.
If these are your questions and you are mixing up amps, preamps, and the like you are still quite far from a professional direction - but asking the questions is a good step into the right direction.

Recording an amp without cabs is possible - normally with gear out of the reach of your budget. For this purpose I use a SPL Transducer, a great piece of gear but quite costly (in Germany € 1.000,--).

I'm sure, once you have used your Orange amp with a decent cab you will never look back. There i a HUGE difference in sound using effects, good amp and a cheap or no cab compared to a good (typically 4x12) cab - always bear in mind that the speakers produce the sound you hear. Once you experience that sound and the dynamic involved (reacting to how hard you play etc) I doubt you want all the effects you are aiming for now. The pure tone is wonderfull - and when you get the money for good effects, beef it up.

I play guitar (Rock, Blues-Rock, non professional) since more than 35 years and have quite some equipment. Since 6 or 7 years I really digged into cabs, speakers etc. - that has improved my sound more than anything I've done before.

I dont play in a band anymore and I could record my stuff without a cab (SPL) but I have 7 different cabs for recording - 3 no. 4x12 with old to very old speakers, 1 no. 2x12, 1 no. 8x10 (great), 1 no. 1x15 and 1 no. 2x15. The difference in sound is dramatic - much much more than you can achieve with modellin stuff or effects.

Always bear in mind:

The speaker makes you hear what you play, thats what makes him more important than anything else.
Old 30th December 2010
  #13
electric guitar effect pedals

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjs
Man, I definitely want the best quality, but with a wishlist that already tops out at $2000 NOT including a new guitar/cab/pedal, it seems like I'm a long way away from getting my hands on this stuff.

Is it really that useful to use an Orange cab with the Orange head? The link you provided had a minimum bid of $600 for the 4x12 Orange cab , and then I'd have to purchase a Boss ME or Eventide for ~$300-500, and at some point I definitely need to upgrade my guitar (still using my first ever, a Mexican Strat).

Is it possible to do tracking through a great pair of cans that are directly hooked up to the Orange head without a cab? Or is the cab necessary to produce sound for the headphones? Sorry if that's a stupid question, I'm only just getting started with taking this hobby in the direction of a professional career.
I don't want to discourage you at all. I DO want you to go into this with eyes open so you can make good decisions with limited resources.

You need to stop at this place right now and clarify some things in your head. Namely the following:

1) This is the most important question you can ask yourself: Do I want to be a great musician, or a great engineer? And realize that the answer to that question should shape your spending.

2) if the answer is musician then get GREAT guitar gear first. Then get Reaper, Propellerhead Record, GarageBand or something else that will let you flesh out ideas easily.
When you want to do a quality recording, find a skilled engineer that you trust and pay them for their expertise.

3) if the answer is great engineer, then prepare to have no money and for a long, frustrating and every so often, rewarding path with little glory.

4) if the answer is both, then just double the time, frustration and lack of money from point 3.

Sent from my iPhone using Gearslutz
Old 30th December 2010
  #14
Gear Nut
 

These are all good suggestions but you may be getting a little ahead of yourself. I would suggest you check out the Vox Tonelab pedals, specifically the discontinued SE model and the more current LE. These sound surprisingly good direct into an interface and have settings for use with an amp as well. The amp models can be completely bypassed if you end up with something like a Mesa or Orange some day. Then you can use the pedal as a full featured FX box that sounds pretty respectable on its own.
Old 30th December 2010
  #15
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbro View Post
These are all good suggestions but you may be getting a little ahead of yourself. I would suggest you check out the Vox Tonelab pedals, specifically the discontinued SE model and the more current LE. These sound surprisingly good direct into an interface and have settings for use with an amp as well. The amp models can be completely bypassed if you end up with something like a Mesa or Orange some day. Then you can use the pedal as a full featured FX box that sounds pretty respectable on its own.
This is intriguing, I really like the idea of being able to record directly into the interface (I'll be using an Mbox 3) as well as using XLR mics to record analog sound from a cabinet that's capable of producing high quality sound.

I'm confused about what you said in the second half, though... I can bypass the pedals that are designed for use with an amp if I get a better amp? Could you clarify that? Or maybe you meant something else.
Old 30th December 2010
  #16
Lives for gear
You NEED a good cab for your great amp. You can buy a 212 from Avatar, sometime with "distressed" or B stock cabs on Ebay, for less than $300. That'd be a great place to start. Or even a used B52 cab (which are surprisingly good plywood) with V30s for a couple of hundred.

Then the tough stuff starts:
1. Are you going to use just the drive from your amp or do you want fuzzes, overdrives and distortions? If you want the pedals to broaden your palette, you've gotta go analog (nothing digital is very good for distortion) at $100 (the Paul C Timmy and anything you build for yourself from BYOC) to $400 each. I'm using a Zendrive and Mosferatu out, for a total of $350.

2. Swirly stuff: standard choruses, flangers and phasers thru weird tremelos, panners and filters. These are a little harder to build well but BYOC is a good place to go. For me, starting out, I'd either get the Boss ME50 or the Line 6 M9 or M13. They both sound good, give you lots of weird stuff to try and can sync all the bizarre stuff.

3. Reverbs and delays: again $100s analog on up. And again, a decent digital box will work here. M9/M13 get my vote. The Vox pedalboards score well here, too.

If I were in your shoes I'd get:
1. Avatar 212 Cab $300
2. Build a couple of distortion boxes $200
3. Line 6 M9 used $300

Total of $800 and you'd be able to recoup your costs if and when you move up.
Old 30th December 2010
  #17
Lives for gear
 

And of course there is another alternative to consider.

A 120 watt tube amp is so over the top for any gig you are likely to play right now I would urge you to consider selling or trading it AND the nasty Ibanez amp on a smaller amp that would be useable in both studio and smaller gigs.
I use an 11 watt Fender Deluxe combo copy I built myself for around $250.

Even that might be too much for studio use but remember live you can always amplify a small amp through the PA for extra volumes, but a cranked smaller amp will generally give better tone than a large amp under run.
Old 30th December 2010
  #18
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
And of course there is another alternative to consider.

A 120 watt tube amp is so over the top for any gig you are likely to play right now I would urge you to consider selling or trading it AND the nasty Ibanez amp on a smaller amp that would be useable in both studio and smaller gigs.
I use an 11 watt Fender Deluxe combo copy I built myself for around $250.

Even that might be too much for studio use but remember live you can always amplify a small amp through the PA for extra volumes, but a cranked smaller amp will generally give better tone than a large amp under run.
Yes, that is certainly a possible course of action, but it seems contrary to logic that a smaller amp cranked would have better sound than a 120W head on a 4x12 cab. I realize you meant a powerful head played on an underpowered cab, but a decent 4x12 is what I would most likely purchase to get the best sound from the Orange head.

For me, it's more about the clarity and depth of sound in a studio environment than loudness or power in a live event.
Old 30th December 2010
  #19
Gear Nut
 

Going back to the idea of individual, rather than multiple, effect pedals... I really like the idea of making my own to save money AND learn another valuable aspect of this craft. But would it be easier to ask someone with experience to make it for me? I know someone who has been an engineer professionally for several years and has even built his own guitar pre-amp with amazing results. Perhaps it would be a good idea to ask him to make some pedals for me based on schematic templates I can find online, and offer to pay him for materials and an hourly rate. How difficult is it to make something like this?

I would be interested in effects like delay, wah, flanger, etc.
Old 30th December 2010
  #20
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjs View Post
Going back to the idea of individual, rather than multiple, effect pedals... I really like the idea of making my own to save money AND learn another valuable aspect of this craft. But would it be easier to ask someone with experience to make it for me? I know someone who has been an engineer professionally for several years and has even built his own guitar pre-amp with amazing results. Perhaps it would be a good idea to ask him to make some pedals for me based on schematic templates I can find online, and offer to pay him for materials and an hourly rate. How difficult is it to make something like this?

I would be interested in effects like delay, wah, flanger, etc.
If you've got someone who is a resource like that, then certainly ask for some lessons. However, I would advise you to at least try it first to make sure it's something you really enjoy.
I know basic troubleshooting and modding...but I really have to be in the mood for it. It's something that I really enjoy all the time.
Old 30th December 2010
  #21
Gear Addict
 
Mr. Wilson's Avatar
 

My short list of reco peds:

1. Cmat Mods Brownie... My go to for solo and even great for dirty rhythm.
2. Fulltone OCD... Great rhythm track dirtier, not as great for solo but YMMV
3. MI Audio Crunch Box or Barber Direct Drive. Both of these do the extreme creamy thing very well
4. a vintage Tube Screamer or a clone. A must have for the locker
5. HAO Rust Driver just because it's really different, and can do a marshell emu with the right amp and git.

i own all these and most of them are in the chain when I 'm working on something. i also have a collecection of other popular Hi and Lo end stuff, that doesn't make the grade, but that's what it takes to separate the wheat from the chaff.
Old 30th December 2010
  #22
Lives for gear
You don't NEED a 412 to sound good. I've got an oversize Avatar 212 with 150w speakers and it sounds good, looks good and is less expensive and easier to carry than a 412. I've got those too, but they mostly stay at home...
Old 30th December 2010
  #23
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjs View Post
Several years ago I bought my first electric guitar and a few accessories that I still use, namely a Zoom effects pedal (if you can call it a pedal). It's been enough to satisfy my needs up to now, but now that I am a better guitar player and interested in actually recording my work, I'm looking for a significant upgrade.

I'd like something with a pedal that increases the degree of the effect relative to how hard it is pressed, and the ability to easily save and recall preset effects; I would like to access these presets quickly enough to make a smooth transition in effects in a live setting.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I don't know how much the better models usually cost, but I have a budget of about 500 dollars. Obviously, the more bang for the buck, the better.

Furthermore, I want something that will stretch the limits of what an electric guitar can even sound like. Ideally, this new hardware will allow me to achieve both clean, obviously guitar-sounding effects as well as abstract, highly-distorted sounds that may not resemble the sound of a guitar whatsoever.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Try to demo the Eventide Modfactor and Pitchfactor pedals
Eventide - Stompboxes

Also, if you can find a Lexicon Vortex (not a pedal) used, it has some "out there" guitar efx.
Old 30th December 2010
  #24
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjs View Post
This is intriguing, I really like the idea of being able to record directly into the interface (I'll be using an Mbox 3) as well as using XLR mics to record analog sound from a cabinet that's capable of producing high quality sound.

I'm confused about what you said in the second half, though... I can bypass the pedals that are designed for use with an amp if I get a better amp? Could you clarify that? Or maybe you meant something else.
What I was saying is that you can bypass just the amp/speaker modeling section of the pedal and get your basic tone from an amp while still using the multi fx (chorus, delay, pitch shifting, reverb) from the Tonelab.

In addition to the analog outs on the two units I specified they also provide you with optical outs so you can connect digitally to your interface.
Old 30th December 2010
  #25
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjs View Post
...it seems contrary to logic that a smaller amp cranked would have better sound than a 120W head on a 4x12 cab. I realize you meant a powerful head played on an underpowered cab, but a decent 4x12 is what I would most likely purchase to get the best sound from the Orange head.

For me, it's more about the clarity and depth of sound in a studio environment than loudness or power in a live event.
There is a balance between too small and too big - for both head and cab. It's not altogether intuitive, but these ideas might help:

1 - big amps are sold for moving lots of air in large venues. They don't necessarily sound good in a small-ish, quiet-ish studio. Remember that you can get huge sounds out of whispered vocals or finger picked acoustic guitar - volume has nothing to do with perceived size in a recording.

2 - perhaps counter-intuitive: low wattage amps are great for big distortion, because they break up easily. 100w amps are great for clean stuff - like country or funk - because you need all the headroom you can get, and you don't want it to break up. There is a logarithmic relationship between watts and decibels - so a 100w amps is NOT 10x louder than a 10w amp. The difference in decibels is not great - and a 10w tube amp is still stinkin' loud in a quiet room like a studio.

3 - the cab physical dimensions make a huge difference - especially to bass response. More so than the size of the speaker driver. Note that 10" drivers are very popular for bass. Size of the driver is more about response to transients, and size of cabinet is what gives you the bass. And whether it is open or closed back or ported etc. There is a world of tone between difference speakers and cab styles - and they aren't too expensive, compared with heads. I would rather have one head and a selection of cabs, than many heads and only one cab. (Pedals can give a huge range of tones too of course).

4 - how much bass do you really need? Often the huge bass heavy "guitar" chugging tones you hear are a mix of bass guitar and relatively thin guitar tones. Too much low end can be a problem ... it's the midrange that defines "huge" guitar tones, and in many cases a single 10" or 12" can deliver a huge recorded tone.

Have fun.

Choice your head carefully after considering
Old 31st December 2010
  #26
If you're after way out effects then get a BOSS unit. Very easy to set up (IMO), very deep effects, you get a controller with pedal which can be assigned to literally control any parameter in any of the effects, oh and they play great, very low latency.

The downside is that Roland/BOSS haven't updated their units in a while (there's rumor of announcement at winter NAMM), and their COSM amp sim stuff in those units is a tad weak and flat, however for just effects they're really the best multifx in your price range and you'll get the most bang for buck out of that.

If amp sims are your cup of tea then the current best option in that price range that's suitable for live would be the Pod HD. The effects are good, but not as in depth as the BOSS stuff, but the sims are much better than any other floor unit or multifx in that price range (VOX Tonelab, BOSS GT series, ZOOM etc). It's also in the controller pedal configuration which is a plus.

If all you want is some generic pedals to add to your existing rig then instead of starting out with a list of brands you should start out with a list of effects you're after, then go in and get them to bring out everything they've got of that effect, no-one else is going to know the specific grail tone that you're after and matches how you play.
Old 8th January 2011
  #27
Here for the gear
 

Personally I prefer using seperate analog pedals like these:

distortion: menatone "king of britians"
delay: strymon "el capistan" or "brigader"
overdrive: any of the "LOVE" pedals
reverb: electro harmonics "Holy grale"

for a good multieffectpedal, try TC electronics Nova system

all this said IMHO

all the best! / dadeln
Old 8th January 2011
  #28
Lives for gear
 
Red 7's Avatar
If I can recommend you some distortion pedals, it would be some of Xotic as BB preamp and RC booster (cleaner sound) and Timmy by Paul Cochrane.
Old 20th February 2011
  #29
Here for the gear
 

2 mixers 2 computers.

you need to go to a music dealer and play with the pedals for an hour at least.

multi effects,..ive got a digitech rp and a boss me 50 , i personally like digitech, not the old digitech stuff. the new digitech stuff sounds great..

but...i have 1 computer set up for my guitar, i run amplitube, overloud, and waves gtr stomp on it.i run it into a usb mixer and then into my amp, where i mic it to another computer,....

this is the way to do it. i dont care what the oldschoolers do.
the possibilities are infinite.nothing can compare to a computer designated to your guitar, (with all the best software)

i like waves gtr the best,...yet none of the distortions sound quite like a stomp box.youll need a boss distortion stomp.

im not talking about amp modeling, just using the base effects then real-amping it..
but youll need 2 mixers.and 2 computers.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
Lek / So Much Gear, So Little Time
3
jplanet / So Much Gear, So Little Time
4
Coldsnow / So Much Gear, So Little Time
4
aio9 / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
0

Forum Jump
Forum Jump