The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mogami cables... is it worth it? Condenser Microphones
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Nut

Mogami cables... is it worth it?

Just got me some new recording gear: Blue Bottle Rocket Stage 1 with an ART MP V3 preamp (yes, I know I could do better here with the preamp, and I will one day, but for now, it's all I can afford, especially if I buy me some Mogamis), and I can hear a small hiss in the background still. It's lightyears better than the Audix OM2 I was using before (yes, huuuuuge upgrade just occured), but it's still there, and I'm wondering if cabling is where I need to upgrade.

I'm sure it is, as I"m using whatever cheapo jobs Guitar Center sells on those little rod stand thingies. But there are a lot of choices, and Mogami seems to be on the higher end of the price points, and I just don't want to throw my money away. They have lifetime guarantees, so even if they outperform my preamp, I'm okay with that, because that will be upgraded eventually. Is this a stupid question?

Last edited by orangepegs; 29th December 2010 at 08:44 PM.. Reason: just cuz
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

If for no other reason than piece of mind, I chose Mogami. Does it make a difference? Hell if I know. :p According to some very respected folks (Dave Derr, for one), unless it's complete crap devoid of shielding or damaged/frayed and shorting out, cable brand makes almost no difference at all. As far as hiss, I'd be more suspect of the preamp or mic (and your gain structuring) than the cable. In your instance, my investigation would focus on the preamp. You don't say what computer interface you're using or how you are interfacing with it. It may be the gain structure between your preamp and your AD converter is also in need of review.
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

Paying a lot for a cable is a drag. But once you have it, it's a constant pleasure. Every time I grab my Mogami cable, I feel good about it...quality does that for me...knowing that I will be reaching for it in ten years and having it work and feel just the same.
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Head

It absolutely makes a difference. When our little place upgraded to Mogami, everything opened up:Better top, bottom, and mids. It wasn't subtle at all.
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Nut

I went Mogami Gold. I don't know if they do platinum XLR's, but I don't wanna know if they do.... I hate leaving horsepower on the table so to speak. I don't think the hiss is from the preamp, but I guess we'll see tonight when I hook it all up! And dammit all to hell if I didn't just spend $100 on two XLR cables! oh, and $60 on a pop filter. I'm so poor... now
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Nut

Yes, it makes a difference.

I use Mogami for my XLR mic to preamp connections, my guitar/bass instrument cable, and even cables for my mixer.

I compared it against other brands . . . I did hear the difference - especially with the XLR cables.
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

a big second for building your own, it's really not hard and you'll save a lot of money.
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

Is it a good idea to use good cabling? Yes!

Can I justify paying for mogami ready-made cables at a shop? Well, I can use a soldering iron so... No!
Old 29th December 2010

Mogami? Yes, if you are in a pinch and need to cab it to GC for a cable.

Monster? Absolutely not.

My choice of mic cable? Hand-made Canare Quad with Neutrik gold connectors off ebay for 1/3 the price. The ebay store based out of NYC is highly recommended. Great service and immaculate work.
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Guru

Mogami - thumbsupthumbsup

Canare is also good, and there is certainly other (not monster) cable out there that is fine. I'd look at redco's house brand if you need to save money.

Personally, I'd rather not have to redo things in the future with quality (been there done that) so everything in my studio is Mogami. Yeah, it hurt, but with the price of copper, it's only going to get worse. Do it once, and be done with it.

Oh, and A HUGE thumbsupthumbsup for learning to make your cables yourself. Well worth the effort.
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synæsthesiac View Post
The ebay store based out of NYC is highly recommended. Great service and immaculate work.
..Hey,d'ya have a link for them synaesthesiac?-thanks

F
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Addict

I use to buy Monster until I saw Mogami prices and heard they were just as good or better as monster. I've been using them ever since.
Old 30th December 2010
D K
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
Mogami - thumbsupthumbsup

Canare is also good, and there is certainly other (not monster) cable out there that is fine. I'd look at redco's house brand if you need to save money.

Personally, I'd rather not have to redo things in the future with quality (been there done that) so everything in my studio is Mogami. Yeah, it hurt, but with the price of copper, it's only going to get worse. Do it once, and be done with it.

Oh, and A HUGE thumbsupthumbsup for learning to make your cables yourself. Well worth the effort.
+1

Peace of mind is it for me - I dont worry about it.. hate it when I am at the register though... I need to acquire some soldering skills.. quickly

I just figure if I have good quality connections then that is one less thing I have to troubleshoot when issues arise..
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Maniac

I like a good cable that is reliable and soft, it winds up with ease and is easy to get the kinks out of, some cables have this tougher plastic/rubber which just annoys me, so bear that in mind.
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Nut

making my own cables sounds complicated and scary....
Old 30th December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangepegs View Post
It's actually really simple and using Mogami cable makes it much simpler. Bad cable is actually harder to solder than good cable and Mogami strips and solders very quickly. I'd go to Redco.com and get a bunch of Mogami cable and Neutrik connectors and have at it. If you are anywhere near Boulder, CO, I'd be happy to take a half hour and show you how to do it right. Otherwise, I think there are youtube instructional videos that do a pretty decent job.

If you are any kind of musician who interacts with electronics (ie. home studio, electric guitarist, keyboardist, etc.), knowing how to solder and being able to make your own cables is a very liberating and valuable skill. Plus, you can make a lot of friends!
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangepegs View Post
Mic/instrument cables=piss-easy..really...it'll take you 5 mins to learn.

EDAC/DB25 etc=a bit trickier..
Old 30th December 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanriffic

..Hey,d'ya have a link for them synaesthesiac?-thanks

F
It's NY Pro Audio Cables dot com.

I just looked at their feebay store and they don't sell cables on there any more. Too bad because I believe they were a little cheaper than buying through their site. They are a brick and mortar mom and pop operation and the store and website are closed for the holidays.

I got ten hand-made in the USA 20' green Canare Quads w/Neutriks for about $225 with s&h. Used them on a drum tracking session in a cabin (buncha my friends making an indie record). The cabin's electrical and grounding had seen better days but with some trial and error we managed to get super clean, punchy, and detailed drums with the Canares through 3124 and Great River pres. Blown away to say the least. They come with a fastened velcro tie and they roll up quickly and neatly, never get tangled. The whack colors are way cool because they scream at you when you are about to toss your beer cap on the floor or your bass player's dad starts stomping around with his hunting boots.
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

+1 Mogami cable
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

careful though if you ever intern at a studio. i was interning at a place and about a few weeks in it came up with the owner that i know how to make/fix cables and about an hour later he pulled out crate after crate of cables and snakes. i was going through testing and soldering for about two weeks on the days i was there. although it got my soldering skills even better i'm scared to know how much of that **** i inhaled during that time and i wasn't in the studio at all while doing it which i usually was on my days.

once you know how to make a cable it shouldn't take more than a few minutes though, it's a pretty riducuolusly easy thing to do. try wiring a patchbay, that's a whole other thing!
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Nut

+1 on Mogami. It DOES make a difference
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

I had the same question and after a very long research came with this: get quality raw cable and add the neutrik connectors yourself. So:

1) Belden 1800F, useful for both audio, digital, (powered ) speaker cables, line and mic level, etc, low impedance, good for everything etc etc

Bulk Cable from Rawcable.com

2) Canare star quad, audio only, higher impedance, worse for longer cables due to high frequency roll off, great for short cables, great to filter radio frequency interferences, hum, etc.

Canare Star Quad Black | Sweetwater.com

I got 60 mts of each for less than 300 bucks.

Also bought a 3m vovox xlr cable, just for the sake of comparison. That one was 160 bucks alone.
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

I remember the first hooked up my mpc2500 thru basic cables. Then I bought a pair of mogami cables and the bass.... Oh the bass. There was a huge difference in sound. So I think it's a great idea to invest in or I guess build your own cables.

Typing this on my bribe gift. I bought my wife an iPad for Christmas. Made it so much easier to get my zed r16, summit audio eqp200, Adam a8x pair, 2.93 GHz quad core Mac pro, UAD2 duo, and spl 2381 monitor controller!
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synæsthesiac View Post
It's NY Pro Audio Cables dot com.

I just looked at their feebay store and they don't sell cables on there any more. Too bad because I believe they were a little cheaper than buying through their site. They are a brick and mortar mom and pop operation and the store and website are closed for the holidays.

I got ten hand-made in the USA 20' green Canare Quads w/Neutriks for about $225 with s&h. Used them on a drum tracking session in a cabin (buncha my friends making an indie record). The cabin's electrical and grounding had seen better days but with some trial and error we managed to get super clean, punchy, and detailed drums with the Canares through 3124 and Great River pres. Blown away to say the least. They come with a fastened velcro tie and they roll up quickly and neatly, never get tangled. The whack colors are way cool because they scream at you when you are about to toss your beer cap on the floor or your bass player's dad starts stomping around with his hunting boots.
Cheers S-will check em out.
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Maniac

you saved money on the pre to buy a nice cable?

I think you've got things around the wrong way

And why does every Mogami lover in this thread have low post counts?
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

i use audiospares.com LYNX cable...does the job...not had to replace one seems sturdy enough and at a price to fit my needs...using with neutriks - no problems.
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Ark View Post
you saved money on the pre to buy a nice cable?

I think you've got things around the wrong way
Yes, I saved money on the pre, but not to buy nice cables. Are you telling me if I spent another $100 (the cost for my two 15' cables combined) on a pre and used my existing $12 GC cables, I would be better off? I think you are mistaken my friend. The cables are a lifelong investment. And I plan on spending a whole lot more than $160 when I eventually upgrade the preamp. I did a lot of research and talked to a lot of people about the value of those ART amps, and I came to the conclusion that I'd have to spend 4-5 times as much to get something better. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm convinced this little guy will do fine with my Stage 1 Bottle Rocket until I spring for a Robbie or something like that.

Also, the Mogamis made a world of difference (the hiss is completely gone as far as my k702's are telling me, so thanks everybody for talking me into it! heh

Sounds like I have a new hobby to start up... soldering cables.
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Ark View Post
And why does every Mogami lover in this thread have low post counts?
You mean like 120?? Sorry, couldn't resist...
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Nut

Do you guys recommend using mogami cables with my behringer mixer?
Will the noise dissapear?
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michel View Post
Do you guys recommend using mogami cables with my behringer mixer?
Will the noise dissapear?
No, you need to use Monster Studio Pro cable to do that.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search