The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mogami cables... is it worth it? Condenser Microphones
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Nut

Are they really so much better then the mogami gold ones?
Also should i take the 1/4" jacks or the mini jacks with adapter?
The bigger ones have better shielding right is this correct?
I am a little confused because i read in the high end section of this forum that using mini jacks with adapter is better..
Old 30th December 2010
y'all are tripping .. go bluetooth.
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Well????

About 10 years ago the head tech at one of the biggest commercial studios here in Nashville and I decided to test several cables and connectors. We were not testing by listening but by using his test equipment. I can't remember exactly ALL the things he tested but I know he put them through a ton of tests.

We had several different cables in the mix:Mogami, Horizon, Belden etc. They were all 50 feet in length.

We also tested several different XLR connectors like Neutrik, Switchcraft, and a cheap solderless connector.

The bottom line............they all tested exactly the same. No differences at all.

For what its worth........
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodium glow View Post
About 10 years ago the head tech at one of the biggest commercial studios here in Nashville and I decided to test several cables and connectors. We were not testing by listening but by using his test equipment. I can't remember exactly ALL the things he tested but I know he put them through a ton of tests.

We had several different cables in the mix:Mogami, Horizon, Belden etc. They were all 50 feet in length.

We also tested several different XLR connectors like Neutrik, Switchcraft, and a cheap solderless connector.

The bottom line............they all tested exactly the same. No differences at all.

Heretic! Stone him!
Old 31st December 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by lord preset View Post
No, you need to use Monster Studio Pro cable to do that.
Sarcastic? You're the first gearslut to support Monster that I've read anyway... haha
Old 31st December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by junior View Post
You mean like 120?? Sorry, couldn't resist...

I'm saying this thread is an ad for mogami.
Old 31st December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangepegs View Post
Also, the Mogamis made a world of difference (the hiss is completely gone as far as my k702's are telling me, so thanks everybody for talking me into it! heh
maybe your original cables were terrible and any cable would have gotten rid of the hiss
Old 31st December 2010

Mogami cables... is it worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodium glow

OK, fair enough, but next time use the cables for what they were intended for and ask your ears to do the tests.
Old 31st December 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michel
Do you guys recommend using mogami cables with my behringer mixer?
Will the noise dissapear?
No, because it's most likely what is inside the Behringer that is noisy or vulnerable to outside interference.

Good cables should prevent additional noise if used properly but the Behringer will most likely be the weakest link.
Old 31st December 2010
Gear Nut

Thanks for the answer but i really was being sarcastic there..
Old 31st December 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michel
Thanks for the answer but i really was being sarcastic there..
If I hadn't missed Lord Preset's last post I would have caught on ; )
Old 31st December 2010
D K
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Ark View Post

wonder why that is?
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
you saved money on the pre to buy a nice cable?

I think you've got things around the wrong way

And why does every Mogami lover in this thread have low post counts?
I would use them if I performed live again, not in my studio just for the much higher price and the seldom use of my studio...
IMHO
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodium glow View Post

Exactly! The differences between well made cables are much much smaller than the placebo effect. As a person, you cannot effectively evaluate the minute differences in performance. However, that means you can like one more than another! And if it makes you feel better, why not?

This does not apply to ****ty wire - that you can hear clear as day
Old 1st January 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Just got me some new recording gear: Blue Bottle Rocket Stage 1 with an ART MP V3 preamp (yes, I know I could do better here with the preamp, and I will one day, but for now, it's all I can afford, especially if I buy me some Mogamis), and I can hear a small hiss in the background still. It's lightyears better than the Audix OM2 I was using before (yes, huuuuuge upgrade just occured), but it's still there, and I'm wondering if cabling is where I need to upgrade.

I'm sure it is, as I"m using whatever cheapo jobs Guitar Center sells on those little rod stand thingies. But there are a lot of choices, and Mogami seems to be on the higher end of the price points, and I just don't want to throw my money away. They have lifetime guarantees, so even if they outperform my preamp, I'm okay with that, because that will be upgraded eventually. Is this a stupid question?
I just bought a Mogomi Gold and compared it to my Monster "Rock" cable, and the Monster sounded quite a bit better. (guitar cable) I then picked up a Mogami "Platinum" and it soundes better than the Monster "Rock". I had a Monster Studio which was my favorite cable ever, but I can not compare it to the Mogami. I would say you cant go wrong with either a Mogami Platinum, or a Monster Studio pro. Both cables are EXCELLENT.
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

Didn't see this thread, sorry.

Cables...
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Head

Hiss versus cables...

I have read this thread with interest. Hiss is caused by noisy devices, not generally by cable. If you wish to reduce the hiss, get a better preamp. Look carefully at the 'equivalent input noise'. It is usually rated for an input resistance of 200 ohms; i.e. normal mic impedance. chose the highest figure. The best noise figures are in the region of -127 dBu to -129.5 dBu with a bandwidth of 20Hz to 22kHz. the best commercial preamp I know of is the Millennia. It scored the best currently available one in tests I was involved with a few years ago. Other factors would be harmonic distortion, overload and bandwidth.
Having said all that, I use Mogami cable almost all of the time. As has been said, it is easy to use, sounds good and, most important for balanced cables, has a good balance factor! (i.e. it does not reduce the common mode rejection of the preamp too much). Also it does not go hard and coils easily. Happy recording all and a very prosperous new year. Clive.
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Addict

I get canare fom haveinc.com for good prices. Nice things cost money
Old 4th January 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
maybe your original cables were terrible and any cable would have gotten rid of the hiss
I suppose that's possible, Star. I tried several combinations and several different cables when trying to eliminate the hiss. They all produced, pulled in, caused, or allowed a significant amount of noise. I was actually about to accept that I just don't have the right hardware, because I know some of it needs upgrading in a bad way (my mic preamp being the main thing), and I was able to deduce that a tiny percentage of that was being produced by my Berringer headphone amp, sure...

But when I swapped the cabling for Mogami Gold, everything outside of the headphone amp noise disappeared. Of course, I was replacing generic GC cabling for the most part during this upgrade (although I did test a few cables that had name brands on them... I don't remember what they were), and I started this thread trying to find out if everything I've read online was just a bunch of marketing hooey and I could get cables just as good for half the price or not. Obviously, anything is going to be better than those guitar center cables, but since I was upgrading regardless, I wanted to ensure I was getting the best bang for my diminishing bank account. And I don't want to spend money to replace them in a few year. And I honestly think my money was well spent. I actually ended up finding a Mogami gold that belonged to a friend of mine and somehow ended up in a pile of cables in my garage. I plugged it in, and it sounded just as good as what I bought a week ago. Part of what makes me satisfied with this purchase is the duribility. None of those other cables in the rats nest i discovered could hold a candle to the MG's. I think that's why they cost so much.

Anyhow, I'm happy with what I bought, and I think the impact it made was the best for how much money I had to part with, and I avoided a lot of future frustration from buying better equipment only to have the quality limited based on something as stupid as a cable.
Old 4th January 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
fuuck

I think you are a negative McNegativesalot, and you're just looking to spread your poison! If you follow my thread statistics, newbie or not, you'll see that I've been upgrading my studio quite a bit lately, and I come here for advice, not to spread propaganda. And I think you just think you know it all, because you don't listen. You just speak.

Quote:
This does not apply to ****ty wire - that you can hear clear as day
- Spice House, so, how does one tell the ****ty wire from the quality stuff when looking at packaging and the pricetags, and whatnot? This statement is just ridiculous! lol, that was the whole point of starting this thread.

Last edited by orangepegs; 4th January 2011 at 11:13 PM.. Reason: just cuz
Old 4th January 2011
Lives for gear
I just upgraded my interface --> monitor cables from Hosa balanced to Mogami balanced with Neutrik connectors. There is absolutely no sound difference.

Buying nice cable, to me, is about longevity more than sound. I didn't expect the Mogami to improve my sound, but I went from a 3 ft desk to an 8 ft desk, needed new cables, and never want to buy those cables again. Buy once, cry once... and never underestimate the power of resale value. I just sold a Mac Mini for 90% of its original cost and it was 2 years old. To me, that's the only argument you need for Mac vs. PC!
Old 5th January 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
fuuck

I think you are a negative McNegativesalot, and you're just looking to spread your poison! If you follow my thread statistics, newbie or not, you'll see that I've been upgrading my studio quite a bit lately, and I come here for advice, not to spread propaganda. And I think you just think you know it all, because you don't listen. You just speak.

- Spice House, so, how does one tell the ****ty wire from the quality stuff when looking at packaging and the pricetags, and whatnot? This statement is just ridiculous! lol, that was the whole point of starting this thread.
Realistic and negative are often confused. Cables can only detract from a sound source, no cable is adding to a sound source. Your cables are not eqing your signal, maybe terrible cables are taking away, but expensive cables are not giving you tighter bass, stronger mids blah, blah, blah. You have purchased some expensive cables that will most likely work longer than my cheaper ones.
Old 5th January 2011

want the noise lower iso transformer box done
Old 5th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
fuuck

if your looking at packages and price tags for wire quality you have already lost the war lol. Star Ark hit the nail on the head - you just want something capable of transmitting your data with minimal loss, cables don't add anything like pipes don't improve your water. Just don't use lead pipes (radio shack wire)
Old 9th January 2011
I went from HOSA snakes and guitar center freebie cables to home made mogami. I had a friend make me a 4 channel snake from mogami cable and neutrik connectors, for my birthday. I heard a phenomenal difference in quality, and depth. I was sold and have been exclusively making MOGAMI snakes and cables ever since. If you have Behringer gear, is brings out the clarity of the hiss, pops, and clicks of the devices. You can actually hear the moment before the capacitors snap!
Old 9th January 2011
Lives for gear

Mogami cable is easier to work with, wiremen work faster with it.

We have about 10 rows of patch to wire in, thats around 3000 points to solder!

Mogami all the way!
Old 9th January 2011
Here for the gear

I've heard the advantages of mogami vs entry level cabling. Not subtle at all.

The quest for audio greatness is never ending and every link in the chain needs to be good. You might not be able to afford a 1073 to use with those mogami's - but at least when you do upgrade any of your rig the mogami's won't be holding you back. You may need more, but you'll never need better.
Old 10th January 2011
Gear Maniac

soooo worth it. as I know most people will say, just buy them, and dont look back.

My first mic cable came free with my first mic... that thing stopped working properly after 4 days. Thats when the guitar center guru gave me a lecture on "every piece of gear counts."

yeah, i walked home with my tail between my legs. i hate getting lessons from guitar center nobodies.
Anyway! That was a very long time ago. I own about 5 mogami cables, and I don't regret a single purchase.
totally worth it.
Old 10th January 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synæsthesiac View Post
Mogami? Yes, if you are in a pinch and need to cab it to GC for a cable.

Monster? Absolutely not.

My choice of mic cable? Hand-made Canare Quad with Neutrik gold connectors off ebay for 1/3 the price. The ebay store based out of NYC is highly recommended. Great service and immaculate work.
yep,

+1
Old 10th January 2011
Lives for gear

why buy cheap, ****ty mogami cables when you can buy the BEST!?

Pear Cable Audio Cables - Home Audio - Anjou Speaker Cable

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search