The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
MassivePassive - UAD vs. Liquid mix Equalizer Plugins
View Poll Results: What audio file sounds better to you?
01.mp3
18 Votes - 75.00%
02.mp3
6 Votes - 25.00%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 29th December 2010
MassivePassive - UAD vs. Liquid mix

Hi there.

Today I made short test of Massive Passive emulation of two great products - UAD and Focusrite Liquid mix.

The setup is:

- Bell boost @ 1 kHz
- Shelf boost @ 3.9 kHz

Matched as close as possible, levels too.

Source material is guitar miced by Blumlein stereopair.

Please vote!!!!

01.mp3 - UAD MassivePassive
02.mp3 - Focusrite Liquid Mix MassivePassive
Attached Files

01.mp3 (1.87 MB, 1997 views)

02.mp3 (1.87 MB, 16008 views)

clean.mp3 (1.87 MB, 1481 views)

Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

I prefer number 2 better. Number 1 sounds a little muddy IMO
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

I hear no noticeable difference.
Old 29th December 2010
Deleted #157546
One seems to have a more noticeable mid-range color to it. I like that one the best.

I guess it depends on what your going for.
Old 30th December 2010
Here for the gear

I agree with jayvo86...more mid range & warmer to my ears.
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Head

one sounds warmer and with more body, two sound a little more sterile.
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

lol, would you believe I think I like #3 best?

So.. that kinda leads me to think that.. at least so far, there's no concession.

I will say that I listened kinda long and hard.. and I felt like certain ones sounded better, or was it just louder? at certain frequency areas.. #3 was the one I didn't feel like like complaining about.. if that quite makes sense.
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

lol, i crack myself up, I'm such a du-face sometime...

Yeah.. man.. I totally don't know how to choose between 1 and 2.. but it's true that neither sound exactly right, to my ears, for the recording... I would keep coming back and forth going "well i think i like that part of the sound here but not that part" and to the other one.. say this.. go back to the first... an feel like my first view.. of what I liked about it.. maybe I liked a little less..

and in the end came out thinking I liked the clean better.. in this instance
Old 30th December 2010
Deleted #157546
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsearles View Post
lol, i crack myself up, I'm such a du-face sometime...

Yeah.. man.. I totally don't know how to choose between 1 and 2.. but it's true that neither sound exactly right, to my ears, for the recording... I would keep coming back and forth going "well i think i like that part of the sound here but not that part" and to the other one.. say this.. go back to the first... an feel like my first view.. of what I liked about it.. maybe I liked a little less..

and in the end came out thinking I liked the clean better.. in this instance
Well, you have to realize that sometimes something may sound good a certain way dry and clean....but when your trying to space it in a mix, you've got to give it something to make it pop. I find myself doing this with electric guitars all the time; I when my speakers sound like I'm staring into the cone of a marshal half stack, but that's not necessarily right for the mix.
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Addict

I prefer #2.
Old 30th December 2010
ska
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayvo86 View Post
One seems to have a more noticeable mid-range color to it. I like that one the best.

I guess it depends on what your going for.
Same here...
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

I also liked #3 the best.
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Nut

#1 UAD
#2 liquid mix

I dislike both.
There should be an answer for that in the poll.heh
Old 30th December 2010
The point is to identify the UAD and LM. The settings is not representing real mixing scenario. Of course #3 is best in this test.
Old 30th December 2010
Deleted #157546
Quote:
Originally Posted by icecubeman View Post
The point is to identify the UAD and LM. The settings is not representing real mixing scenario. Of course #3 is best in this test.

Actually, from you title it appears that we're supposed to identify which one sounds best.
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayvo86 View Post
Well, you have to realize that sometimes something may sound good a certain way dry and clean....but when your trying to space it in a mix, you've got to give it something to make it pop. I find myself doing this with electric guitars all the time; I when my speakers sound like I'm staring into the cone of a marshal half stack, but that's not necessarily right for the mix.
lol, yeah.. I know.. I understand.. trouble is we aren't listening to it in a mix, and aren't thinking about it or judging it in that sense
Old 30th December 2010
Deleted #157546
Quote:
lol, yeah.. I know.. I understand.. trouble is we aren't listening to it in a mix, and aren't thinking about it or judging it in that sense
Fair enough
Old 30th December 2010

not a fan of #2.
Old 30th December 2010
Here for the gear

#2 seems brighter to me... but as a result, the picking sounds hollowed out and irritating to listen to. To me, the picking on #1 wasn't as shrill in comparison.
Old 31st December 2010
OK, 01.mp3 is UAD and 02.mp3 is LM. Most of you can easily identify this.
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecubeman View Post
OK, 01.mp3 is UAD and 02.mp3 is LM. Most of you can easily identify this.
did we really mostly identify that? Are we supposed to assume the UAD or LM is better and then if we pick that one as being better then its as expected? I think one of the trouble spots here is that..

I at least didn't feel like the effect was used in a way that helped the sound of what we were listening to. So to me they both sounded bad.. but.. my feeling is that that's not so much that they do sound bad but just in that instance they sound bad...

So I mean.. I think what I would have liked is one where.. you adjust it to sound good.. and you use the same settings on both bits of audio.. and then we think..

But even then.. you know there's deviations between individual units of the actual hardware.. and there's the question of where these emulations fit in relationship to those deviations.. and that.. ok.. they could be just like emulations of different units, right? And it maybe that they both have pros and cons versus the situation in question.

I mean these are my sorta underlying questions.
Old 31st December 2010
Here for the gear

Narn...I've got an LM 32 & not a UAD. This was fun. Please post more examples.
Old 31st December 2010
Quote:
did we really mostly identify that? Are we supposed to assume the UAD or LM is better and then if we pick that one as being better then its as expected? I think one of the trouble spots here is that..

I at least didn't feel like the effect was used in a way that helped the sound of what we were listening to. So to me they both sounded bad.. but.. my feeling is that that's not so much that they do sound bad but just in that instance they sound bad...

So I mean.. I think what I would have liked is one where.. you adjust it to sound good.. and you use the same settings on both bits of audio.. and then we think..

But even then.. you know there's deviations between individual units of the actual hardware.. and there's the question of where these emulations fit in relationship to those deviations.. and that.. ok.. they could be just like emulations of different units, right? And it maybe that they both have pros and cons versus the situation in question.

I mean these are my sorta underlying questions.
I am not saying UAD is better than LM. I just want to know what sound file you like more.

Everyone posting standard EQ settings in shootout that makes sound better. I just try something else. You can make your shootouts if you want and make it as you want.

And of course, I use same settings on both files.

Next, I bring some Neve comparison.......
Old 31st December 2010
So...Which was which?
I know what i think, but I'd like some validation.
Old 31st December 2010
It is revealed on my first post, check it!
Old 31st December 2010
awesome, thanks.
I love being right.
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

just use Logic Channel strip!
Old 31st December 2010
Gear Nut

You lost frequencies with the LM.
Old 31st December 2010
Here for the gear

_ben please explain.
Old 31st December 2010
Deleted #157546
I've been following the thread pretty closely. I find it interesting after the results were posted...the UAD MP shot way up. They were head to head when I last read the post.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search