The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Youtube video and audio settings
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

Youtube video and audio settings

I'm going to be posting my first video on Youtube soon, and I'm doing all the research I can right now to get a few things straight, and could use a few pointers. I've done a number of things relating to Youtube, but I've never actually posted my own video until now.

First off, it's my understanding that they drop everything to 15fps. If this is still true, should I just burn at 15fps, or will result be the same if I upload at 30fps and they convert? Is there no consideration given for drop frame or similar issues?

Second, the audio: Who here has experience that can say definitively how best to deal with the audio? If I drop down to a certain level, can I completely bypass any compression on their end?

My goals:

I don't care about advertising for now... just want as many people as possible to see it and do so as easily as possible without having to wait, etc.

I want a choice of resolutions all on the same page so it clicks off the same counter for views regardless of resolution they choose.

I want quick loads, easy time for embedded players on social media sites linking to Youtube.

I want the best quality I can get THAT DOESN'T INTERFERE with any of the above.

Also possibly interested in other hosting options if they offer a better solution. I don't really know much about vimeo, etc... but certainly willing to learn if there is some sort of blended option I'm missing.
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo Soul View Post
I'm going to be posting my first video on Youtube soon, and I'm doing all the research I can right now to get a few things straight, and could use a few pointers. I've done a number of things relating to Youtube, but I've never actually posted my own video until now.

First off, it's my understanding that they drop everything to 15fps. If this is still true, should I just burn at 15fps, or will result be the same if I upload at 30fps and they convert? Is there no consideration given for drop frame or similar issues?

Second, the audio: Who here has experience that can say definitively how best to deal with the audio? If I drop down to a certain level, can I completely bypass any compression on their end?

My goals:

I don't care about advertising for now... just want as many people as possible to see it and do so as easily as possible without having to wait, etc.

I want a choice of resolutions all on the same page so it clicks off the same counter for views regardless of resolution they choose.

I want quick loads, easy time for embedded players on social media sites linking to Youtube.

I want the best quality I can get THAT DOESN'T INTERFERE with any of the above.

Also possibly interested in other hosting options if they offer a better solution. I don't really know much about vimeo, etc... but certainly willing to learn if there is some sort of blended option I'm missing.
YouTube will compress the data you give them to reduce file size. This is different from compressing audio to reduce dynamic range, but the confusion is wide spread. It doesn't matter how loud or quiet your audio is, it will get transcoded but not reduced in dynamic range.

YouTube will transcode (recompress the data of) anything and everything you give them, so give them the very best you can. They will create versions at different bit rates and the end user can select the version that works best for them, but the default displayed by YouTube is the second from the lowest bit rate.

Finally, YouTube changes their process without much notification, so you cannot simply accept a recipe (beyond "give them the best you've got") to optimize your clips. Currently, you can upload full 1080i AVCHD with PCM audio, a high quality Bluray spec file, and this will give the widest range of playback options and the highest quality playback.

While Vimeo may have had a quality advantage over YouTube last year, I don't see or hear the difference today.

Fran
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Well, the pace is why I'm asking here... I read a few posts from a while ago, and they said nothing about 1080 even being an option, but then I read it on Youtube... missed the part about 1080i, though...

So... should I set my project output for 1080i, or 720p? And... just straight 30fps with no dropframe consderation?

As for audio... does that mean I should get the ME to deliver a 48k version as well for the video?

Also, I see from reading on Youtube today that they automatically generate a 720 version if you upload 1080. Are the other resolutions auto-generated as well? I want people to just be able to click on the same video in the player settings to get whatever resolution they want. I that completely automatic, or is there anything I should be doing?
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo Soul View Post
Well, the pace is why I'm asking here... I read a few posts from a while ago, and they said nothing about 1080 even being an option, but then I read it on Youtube... missed the part about 1080i, though...

So... should I set my project output for 1080i, or 720p? And... just straight 30fps with no dropframe consderation?

As for audio... does that mean I should get the ME to deliver a 48k version as well for the video?

Also, I see from reading on Youtube today that they automatically generate a 720 version if you upload 1080. Are the other resolutions auto-generated as well? I want people to just be able to click on the same video in the player settings to get whatever resolution they want. I that completely automatic, or is there anything I should be doing?
YouTube these days transcodes to the highest resolution you upload, and creates lower resolution files in addition automatically. Here's a file I uploaded as 1080 44.1: YouTube - Haole Hula

I never think about framerate when I deal with YouTube.

What editor are you using to produce the video file? What formats does it output? What formats does it like for input? I would stay with the native resolution of the highest resolution video you have. I would use a 44.1 audio file, but your NLE might like some other format.

Sorry, there just aren't any recipes.

Fran
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

err, I know Alex Linsey of the pixel corps put up 4k red footage on youtube.. and others have to.

I don't really know this stuff as well as I should.. it used to be.. and I probably have it all fowled up.. but if you converted it to H264.. there was a color space advantage... over letting them do it.

Web video will be progressive.. not interlaced.

I'm pretty sure youtube is 30 fps.. 15 is.. well you really kinda notice it.. in its lack of smoothness.

But yeah.. I don't know how much going crazy about optimization really matters at this point.. I just kinda do the best and then upload.

If you were personally going to stream video.. without going through a service like youtube.. that's when I think recipes become important.. and it can be things like.. how you shoot.. and you take advantage of temporal codecs and all that stuff.

I mean,.. if it does turn out that your settings persist.. in terms of how youtube treats the video..

well you probably want to play with things like keyframes in temporal compression...

Final Cut.. for instance... automatically tells compressor to put a key frame where ever there's an edit point.. and if you have a lot of motion going on in a frame.. between edits.. and you want to get anal about it.. you can put a key frame for compressor in the time line around then.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search