The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Understanding Records by Jay Hodgson - Anyone read it? Plugin Presets/Expansions
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Head

Understanding Records by Jay Hodgson - Anyone read it?

Has anyone read or even flipped though this book? Here's the description:

"Understanding Records explains the musical language of Recording Practice in a way that any interested reader can understand. Drawing on readily available hit records produced since 1945, each section of this book explains a handful of core production and engineering techniques in chronological record-making sequence, elucidating how those techniques work, what they sound like, how they function musically, where listeners can hear those techniques at work in the broader Top 40 soundscape, and where they fit in the broader record-making process at large."

It looks interesting, but I can't find any reviews of it online. It's published by Continuum, who also publish the 33 1/3 series and a bunch of other music-related books that I thought were pretty great. None of them really deal with the technical sides of things, though. I just wonder if there's any real insight in there that couldn't be gleamed from Gearslutz. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 31st December 2010
Gear Maniac

I've read it cover to cover. It's fantastic! thumbsup
Old 31st December 2010
Gear Maniac

Not only have I read it, I wrote it!

I hope you'll find more than you typically do in the forums. It's my attempt at elucidating the actual technical procedures which together comprise Recording Practice — say, something like tweaking the attack time setting on a compressor — as musical communication per se. Often, in commentary, the incredibly important musical decisions that recordists make in crafting recorded musical communications are relegated to a kind of "technical support" for the "true arts" of composition and performance. I'm trying to change that with this book, while at the same time providing sound practical information. It is ultimately designed to be useful for a beginner as a kind of cook-book, albeit a research-minded beginner, but for everyone else as an aesthetic (re)orientation to their craft.

Let me know if I can be of service.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search