The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Duet Latency Problem Audio Interfaces
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Nut

Duet Latency Problem

I use logic 9 with a duet. It's worked fine for over a year but lately has been having a lot of latency which is messing vocalists up. Sometimes when I restart my computer it goes away but not always. I have the buffer on 64 and have messed with it a lot but isn't helping. Idk if anyone else has had this problem or knows anything I can do?
Old 29th December 2010
This may seem like a complete 'idiot' question, but what is the condition of your current HDD? I find that the majority of latency issues are caused by aging HDDs in most cases. Try to replace once every 12 months. You say that you've been using it with Logic for a year already; It's probably time for a replacement.
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Head

What is HDD? Newbie here
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Nut

HDD is hard drive disk. The latency went away today but my HDD did act up this afternoon and randomly shut off. I probably need to replace it but the only thing is I had the same problem when I tried my other HDD and my internal one. The duet is still working fine as of now but I'm worried its going to start acting up again and it's unacceptable when someones paying me to record them.
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear
check your fw cable and try lowering the buffer as well. I can track vox at 192/256 with no issues.
Old 4th January 2011
Replacing HDDs is a necessary part of computers in general, not just when it comes to audio and computers.
Consider looking into Time Machine; Then you can just restore from your Time Machine backup when you put the new HDD in so it's as if nothing ever happened. Of course, there are much better solutions available, but Time Machine keeps it simple for those who aren't tech savvy.
Old 4th January 2011
Lives for gear

Duet Latency Problem

Replacing a hard drive every year seems kind of extreme but everyone on OSX should use time machine or an alternative backup solution just in case the worst happens.
Old 4th January 2011
Duet Latency Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacklion
check your fw cable and try lowering the buffer as well. I can track vox at 192/256 with no issues.
Did you mean 96Khz?

Sent from my iPhone using Gearslutz
Old 4th January 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draw the Moral View Post
Did you mean 96Khz?

Sent from my iPhone using Gearslutz
No, I meant as a buffer setting.
Old 7th January 2011
Gear Nut

I had the buffer set at 64 recording at 44.1. I record everything to an external and have another external hooked up that I constantly click save copy to. I'm not having the problems right now but I'm still very curious why it happened since I had the same problem recording to both externals and the internal.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search