The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
After about two months of searching for the right gear...
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Head

After about two months of searching for the right gear...

I have learned a few things from you guys.

The first thing is that just about every piece of gear I look at is awesome and sucks. Everything is worth every penny and more but is actually way overpriced. Just about every mic is the next best thing but is bright sibilant and thin or dark and muffled, pretty much every preamp is too noisy, too muddy, or clean but lacks any warmth. You should try not to compress anything on the way in but definitely don't forget to run everything through some compression before it hits the box/tape. Converters are the most important part of the chain but they really don't matter at all, a PC is better than a Mac on Tuesday through Friday, etc etc.

The second thing is that a negative opinion is a hundred times more powerful than a positive one. One bad review will stick in my head for two weeks after I read it even after reading a hundred good ones. Which is my own fault without a doubt, but for some reason a bad review is like a song that gets stuck in your head. And I've come to realize that pretty much every piece of gear is going to get some bad reviews no matter what it sounds like/does. I thought about creating a fake piece of gear, building a website, and then hyping it up just to see if I could draw a review out of someone that could not have possible used it.

Ok, I'm done...I'm just getting frustrated trying to find my own gear! I guess the most important words on this site are "use your own ears." When I first took a dive into this I thought those words were kind of useless to me because I didn't know what I was listening for. I sort of get it now because without using your own ears everything is worthless and junk before it even has a chance to impress you.

I would like to say thank you to everyone who takes time to post a review, ask or answer a question, or conduct a shootout. Despite what I said above, this site has been extremely helpful and a priceless tool to me. I guess sometimes I just get agitated at myself for analyzing every single statement. My advice to anyone new to this site or just browsing around would be to not lose sight of the fact that every opinion on here is subjective and your own opinion will be the one that matters the most. Don't drive yourself crazy like I am!

Thank you all,

Ridgeway
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

The old thing about "opinions", everybody thinks he/she needs an opinion about anything. Don't take it serious.

Hey, there are a few go-to pieces of gear - like the Sennheiser MD 441, that's never wrong. You can stick it on anything, it will work.
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Maniac

I would recommend this to anyone who feel kinda lost in the jungle.
Should put everything in the right perspective.
Old 29th December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridgeway View Post
... a negative opinion is a hundred times more powerful than a positive one...
This is true in almost every sphere, so long as there's a shred of truth encapsulated in the criticism... a cutting comment is more dramatic, more entertaining, and feeds a natural human need to peel away this gloss of boosterism that's epidemic and fraudulent and inherently suspect... but it has to resonate at least a little with people's experience. I guess when you're talking about a totally unknown quantity, a diss can carry some weight right out of the blue, but in order for it to last at all, it needs to connect to something at least partially real.

Gear is funny though... I think all of these wildly divergent opinions are so scattered because they come out of wildly divergent contexts... so that what works excellently for someone is pitifully inadequate to someone else.

As the great Warren Dent has pointed out, many times... just about everything made these days is wonderfully fine. Competition is brutal that way-- if something really was awful, it would never make enough headway to even get anyone's attention.
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Head

Your frustration is understandable. There are tons of gear at your disposal. Recording gear are simply tools...you can base some gear purchases on some of the old reliable standbys' reputation. Make what you have work for YOU...PLEASE, just continue to make music . . . Dogbreath

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search