The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best Pro Tools Guide?
Old 29th December 2010
Here for the gear

Best Pro Tools Guide?

Any recommendations for a good guide for pro tools 8?
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

There's one by FOCAL PRESS , called the Pro Tools guide .
Check it out at Amazon .

There's also the 101 Pro Tools , but I don't think it's worth ...
Old 29th December 2010
This may sound completely annoying and very unhelpful, but quite honestly, the best way of learning is doing. Any questions you have; Feel free to ask them.

We were all new to x piece of hardware or software at one time, there is zero shame in that.

The majority of the guides I've seen for sale aren't worth the paper that they're printed on.
Old 29th December 2010
Motown legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammy Havoc View Post
...The majority of the guides I've seen for sale aren't worth the paper that they're printed on.
I pretty much agree. I think Pro Tools is a much deeper program than it first appears to be.

You are essentially assembling an optimum mixing console for each project. This has been wonderful for those of us who learned recording using large consoles and patch bays because it lets us patch up the same setups we've always used. The problem is how does one write a guide for people who have never used a console? It's all about signal routing and how to use it to make recording and mixing easier.

I've been using Pro Tools since version 1.0 and still learn something every single time I watch a knowledgeable user work. Just like a console the only real way to learn is working as an assistant.
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

Buy the official courseware. Pro Tools 101. It's an awesome book. Very well laid out and detailed. - paul
Old 29th December 2010
Deleted #157546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammy Havoc View Post
This may sound completely annoying and very unhelpful, but quite honestly, the best way of learning is doing. Any questions you have; Feel free to ask them.

We were all new to x piece of hardware or software at one time, there is zero shame in that.

The majority of the guides I've seen for sale aren't worth the paper that they're printed on.
This post isn't worth the space it takes up.

There a tons of features, key commands, etc..that you would otherwise never discover unless you went to school or had a book.

101 book is good. You can also go with this one.

Pro Tools 8 Power!, Christopher R. Burns, (9781435455771) NOOKbook (eBook) - Barnes & Noble

But look around...all of them are going to give you SOMETHING whether it be review or not.
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by riffmachine View Post
Buy the official courseware. Pro Tools 101. It's an awesome book. Very well laid out and detailed. - paul
Good to know. I just moved to PT9 from Cubase and had the PT9 version of this book saved for purchase once it is released. Thanks!
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search