The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Your biggest revelation/game-changer/purchase in 2010?
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Hardware - Focal twin 6be - helped me take my mixes to another level

Software - Wave CLA compressors - Finally ITB compressors that I never tire of
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

best tip: turning down volume when mixing
best product: Slate Trigger
Old 30th December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by solo-bration View Post
What was one technique/trick/tip/solution you learned this year that felt like an epiphany or game-changer to your work?
Keep as much dynamics in your electronic drums transients as possible. This way your mixes start sounding much more pro than before, because other sounds have much more room to breathe.

Quote:
What was one piece of gear that made the most noticeable difference in your sound/workflow this year?
2 x Genelec 8250A.

Those made the mentioned dynamics thing possible, since now I actually could hear clearly what I was doing. (I also treated my room acoustically)
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Best gear purchase: Sound Skulptor STS tape simulator kit. Enabled me to mix FOH at a nice and low 97dB rms, but it sounds almost like 105dB. Good to save your ears a bit sometimes, and yes it sounds pretty awesome on the master of our digital console. Everytime i turn it off, i immediately turn it back on. Subtle sometimes, but very nice.
Old 30th December 2010
Quote:

What was one piece of gear that made the most noticeable difference in your sound/workflow this year?
Great British Spring reverb... finally found a reverb in my price range that I absolutely love the sound of

Duesenberg Imperial guitar... plays like a dream, looks fantastic, is remarkably versatile... the finest guitar I've ever owned and I picked it up new for less than 50% of the RRP...
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Addict

Hummm.... biggest game changer??. That might be a non recording gear thing but still studio related. A couple old Japanese toms I got off Craigslist. Best recording drums I've ever owned, period!!

For more recording gear/software related stuff, that would be some new BOOTSY plugs. They have been game changing as far my mixes go.
Last year it was the FRM RNLA..... funny, the big game changers for me have been either really cheap, or free heh

Revelations..... One BIG one was that, an old SM7 can get great lead vocs as well as any fancy LDC.....better in some casesheh
Old 30th December 2010
Game changing???..a hard drive
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

UAD A800
Xdesk
Europa Sequencer
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Hardware: Westlakes BBSM 12, U-47, Studer Desk 692
Software: Slate FG-X,

Happy New Year !!!heh
Old 31st December 2010
Best tip? Turning off the computer screen and using my ears.

THERE YA GO.
Old 31st December 2010
Gear Maniac

- Moog Voyager + a bunch of moogerfoogers & the Big Briar Theremin. Oh man..

- Custom Arius Blaze delay and some other weird FX-boxes just keep on giving that extra edge when needed, couldn't live without them now.

- A pile of RMG SM900 tapes for the Studer C37. I'm never mixing down to HD again.
Old 31st December 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waltz Mastering View Post
Game changing???..a hard drive

this made me chuckle
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

My biggest revelation?

Yesterday I listened to some old songs I wrote and recorded back in the mid 90s. This was before I knew about the existence of compression.

Back then, I recorded everything straight into my Aardvark Q10, careful to watch the levels and make sure I didn't clip. I mixed to get the basic balance and then went track by track and drew in automation here and there when various tracks got too loud or too low relative to my basic mix. I didn't know any better so that's how I thought it was done.

No mix bus compression. No track compression.

These songs randomly came up in my ipod on shuffle and I noticed how big, open and clear my songs were then compared to now!

I just realized that using high end compressors and compressing on the way in, compressing tracks and compressing the bus have made my recordings sound worse now then when I just recorded straight in and drew automation.
And I was using a relatively low end converter compared to what we have these days.

I need to seriously rethink everything and try remixing some of my current stuff my old way and compare the results...

Regards,
Frank
Old 31st December 2010
Gear Guru

Trying a Fane AXA12 with my '65 Gemini I
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

What was one technique/trick/tip/solution you learned this year that felt like an epiphany or game-changer to your work?

a CD

...no, not a Compact Disc, I mean a Certificate Of Deposit! Short-term vehicles for saving cash so that when I have a windfall I don't blow it on more gear, but rather have it available for fallow times. It was like a lightbulb going off: "Duh! You mean I don't have to starve in 6 months, or sell off that awesome mic preamp that I just bought last Thursday?"

Having all of my guitars and basses setup by a pro.
Old 6th January 2011
Just thought of another revelation I've had this past year... I needed to stop gutting all the low-mids from my mixes. tutt
Old 6th January 2011
Lives for gear

moving from ptLE to PTHD2, tossing the oo2 and getting an aurora 16ch ad>da, and getting the UAD2 quad omni card with 35 plug ins.....

those 3 things changed everything here at our studio this year.

mixing ITB is a dream now, and it sounds bad ass, huge noticeable audio improvement over the old pt converters and LE.

now that we have HD there are a few producers/engineers in town anxious to come up here and book some time!
Old 11th January 2011
Gear Addict

Best gear purchase...that's easy. Barefoot MM27s. Mixes suddenly did not need a "morning after" listen. They leave with confidence.

Technique? Mixing at lower levels. Amazing!!!
Old 11th January 2011
Gear Nut

Harbeth Monitor 30s. Suddenly, I can hear EXACTLY what the hell is actually going on in that darn 80-250 Hz area for the first time.

PT9. Yeah I know, but finally free at last to use PT with my Metric Halo gear at higher sample rates without that awful 002. A Godsend!
Old 11th January 2011
Gear Maniac

Best techniques:

Gain staging ITB

parallel compression

output lead voc to a bus, put all effects on the bus and ride the vocal fader into the bus' compresser instead of automating after the compressor

Best purchase: Focusrite Saffire Pro 40
Old 11th January 2011
Lives for gear

Things I learned that improved my production in 2010.

- Using a mono overhead. Still pan spot mics, and use stereo rooms, but this really opened up the sides for high end from guitars and vocals and percussion.

- Understanding my mics more so I can get the most out of my limited means.

- Finally using EQ during tracking seemed to make this sound less processed than ITB eq.

- Learning to use compression to make things pop, not flatten.
Old 11th January 2011
Lives for gear

Re-doing my studio's acoustic--dry, diffuse, good RFZ, controlled bass. It's like I can hear for the first time.

-R
Old 12th January 2011
Here for the gear

2010 Epiphany:

No amount of gear is as good as ....(drum roll).............. a good room! always knew it was important but 2010 showed me the hard way that it outweighs just about everything when recording & mixing.

(sorry not really what gearslutz like to hear, myself included )
Old 12th January 2011
Lives for gear

^^^

Agreed. Finally got around to treating my bands jam space, and the first time we demoed my drums had never sounded better. All I had on the kit was kick, snare, and recorder man sdc's! Sweet revelation
Old 12th January 2011
Ableton Suite

Soundtoys

a very good year....

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search