The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
pro tools 9 poor performance? DAW Software
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Addict

pro tools 9 poor performance?

I'm using a 2.53 core 2 macbook pro with 8gb ddr3 ram, and I have to say the performance of pro tools 9 is pretty poor, I can't use low buffer settings well at all, anything lower than 512 starts popping etc.

I've done all the recommended tweaks on the avid website.

For mixing 1028 just doesn't seem enough of a max buffer, its a shame there isn't 2048 option..

Logic and cubase seem to handle the same projects much better-more headroom, and also tracking at lower buffers is better.

I'm surprised that protools isn't outperforming cubase at least, as it seems cubase doesn't do well at low latency on a mac,yet is still out performing tools.

any other experiences out there?

M
Old 10th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLOIST101 View Post
I'm using a 2.53 core 2 macbook pro with 8gb ddr3 ram, and I have to say the performance of pro tools 9 is pretty poor, I can't use low buffer settings well at all, anything lower than 512 starts popping etc.

I've done all the recommended tweaks on the avid website.

For mixing 1028 just doesn't seem enough of a max buffer, its a shame there isn't 2048 option..

Logic and cubase seem to handle the same projects much better-more headroom, and also tracking at lower buffers is better.

I'm surprised that protools isn't outperforming cubase at least, as it seems cubase doesn't do well at low latency on a mac,yet is still out performing tools.

any other experiences out there?

M
Have you searched/read the DUC? Lots of people have certain issues and there are lots of different approaches. I had some issues and, until I read up and understood buffer/CPU settings for my situation, I was going out of my mind too lol. Once I began understanding which settings worked for tracking vs. mixing vs. bouncing, then it was fine. It's a bit of a pain having to switch settings based on "the job at hand" but it works.
Old 10th January 2011
Lives for gear

my biggest beef with Pro Tools is that there isn't any good Glockenspiel samples, actually rather devastated tbh...

i think you just gotta keep tweaking settings to find the right ticket... and not necessarily the recommended ones, i so often find i get better results by just going at it for my machine, maybe they end up the same as the recommended but usually its a bit different, sometimes even the least recommended...

i'm using 2048 right now with some bigger sessions for my comp, seems to be working fine, altho when i open up the playback engine it warns me it is unsupported but at the same time gives 2048 as one of the settings i should choose, but whatever, it makes a difference for sure so it's working, i can also use 4096 etc. if i needed to but it creates other issues depending on what im doing...

so far for me pt9 is kicking ass and not even taking names, just kicking lots of ass...
Old 10th January 2011
Lives for gear

is the auto-delay compensation pretty life-changing?!....i am running PT8LE and it's a bit of a bitch when yer trying to mix drums with multiple plugs etc....i will upgrade just for this feature if it really works?!
Old 10th January 2011
Gear Addict

works great yea
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search