The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Work appreciation Condenser Microphones
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Nut

Work appreciation

Hello,

I just want to know your opinions on my job.
I am not a pro, for the moment, I use to work in dubbing, post-production (cartoons) and as a sound/light technician in events, but I'd like work in recording studio.
Anyway, I know the song has been poorly mastered by myself (L2...) and mixed with plug-ins in cubase sx5. I compressed it to much, and I didn't work the stereo space enough, but, just for opinions...

The room where I recorded was not a recording studio, and I was in the room with the performers. The instruments were not great...
I first recorded drums + electric contrabass (poor old fender bass amp) live, and after, the acoustic guitar, then the electric guitar (on a bad transistor marshall amp) and finally the singer.
I had no monitors, only my headphones (beyerdynamic dt770).

The setup was :

Drums :

Kick : at4033
snare : beyerdynamic m69n
Toms : ****ty t-bone microphones
OH : oktava mk-012
hh : akg se391b (but I removed it almost totally, not useful in the mix)

No room mic (not enough inputs)

Electric contrabass : akg se391b

Acoustic guitar : akg se391b stereo set

Electric guitar :

close : peluso r14
ambient : audio technica 4033

Vocals : audio technica 4033

All the mics were plugged into an old D&R dayner, and then in a motu 828 firewire (first version)

Cheap cables.

Mixed with waves, psp and fab filbter plug-ins. (I'd like to mix it with HW, I already worked in interships in studios, with great gear, API, GML, SSL, A-designs, UA... but I can't afford it for the moment, my next purchase will be an overstayer I think)

I mixed it on a hi-fi system, sansui au-d101 integrated amp and rogers LS6 speakers. (but I really enjoy listening music with these

My room is my bedroom, not treated.

I did it for free for friends of mine.

I don't know how to upload sound files on GS, so, here are the links, for wave files.

The first is the raw recording, the second is the final version.

By the way, if you think that my language is weird, it's not because I'm drunk (not too much), I'm French.

Download manchot empereur.wav from Sendspace.com - send big files the easy way
Download Manchot Empereur 0911.wav from Sendspace.com - send big files the easy way

And there are mp3 attached files coming.
Old 29th December 2010
tried to download it, couldn't , I would love to hear it?

The best

DP
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Nut

I just tried the link, and it works, it's the orange one at the bottom of the page
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Nut

Ok, it is easy to attach files...
The first one here is the final version.
Attached Files

Manchot Empereur 0911.mp3 (6.05 MB, 280 views)

manchot empereur.mp3 (6.03 MB, 58 views)

Old 29th December 2010
Here for the gear

This song is awesome.

Great song, great work. What's the name of their band? Manchot Empereur?
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Nut

It's a little French band named Arokaria, but they make a break, the bassist had to move. They are very talented IMO but played just a few months, no website, nothing to find on the internet...
Thanks for the comment !
Old 30th December 2010
That's pretty wild stuff :-) It's almost like Punk Cajun or something.
Old 30th December 2010
Nice sound! Well mixed and recorded!
Very well done, I can hear the cleanness of the D&R board!

DP
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Nut

Thank you ! It is my first and only "work" for a band, that's why I wanted opinions.
It was the first time I used the D&R (and the only one for the moment :/ ) and I'm really happy with it. It's old and has not been serviced but I also think it has a clean sound that is good to work with.
Old 30th December 2010
D&R gets a lot of love around here, and rightfully so. They are the cleanest most open sounding boards on the planet. You're in Europe so you could get easily in touch with the D&R guys in Holland about servicing the board, very good people at D&R . . .

Keep going with the bands, and enjoy the work

DP
Old 5th January 2011
Gear Nut

I don't need to service it now, because I don't use it for the moment (sadly...).
But I bought it without the PSU, D&R sells them approx. 800€ ; but fortunately, I found a used one for 200€, better deal... !

Just another question about the mix, don't you think there's too much reverb on vocals and on the entire song ? I was wondering about that.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search