The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Pro or moist pro? Buying gear or renting time in "pro" studio 500 Series Preamps
Old 30th December 2010

if your room sounds bad it will sound bad with a great mic even in tracking acoustics come into play figure in the cost and space required for that or think about tracking mic and guitar in a modest studio
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear
I get pretty great results when I record other people with two high end pre amps and a apogee rosetta 200. When I do my own stuff it is a lot more difficult and takes longer. You do have to ask yourself if you invest such money are you really that interested in recording and want to make that just as important as your own music or band? That's what it really comes down too. No way is a musician or a band going to be 100% driven on a album, go out buy a recording rig put 30% in and have something great..

Most people that I see doing both well as a musician and recording engineer end up in the electronic world in some way or another usually being self sufficent while recording other bands.

Oh guys also keep in mind room matters greatly for mixing but it's so different today with tracking! I see a lot of people di with acoustic electric and mixing as well as other things...I've heard some great results on some all di albums,tracked vocals in a side room and the rest VI with good gear and skill. Midi triggers n drum samples are very common also these days.
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyChris View Post
I'm recording an album (home studio) that will utilize a lot of Virtual Instruments. Someone else will be mixing so I'm just focusing on the actual recording. The only microphone needs will be for male vox and acoustic guitar. 2 simultaneous channels is all I need (and actually 1 channel would be fine). I'm looking for advice on whether I should go to the local "pro studio", utilize their equipment (and expertise), or purchase a reasonably priced "pro quality" mic and pre.

Obviously I could gain knowledge and work on quality gear in the "pro studio" but of course, that money is gone once the session ends. If I purchase, it will still be an asset and can be used on future endeavors.

I have an AT4050 which sound great on acoustic guitar. My mic options I'm looking at purchasing are something in the SoundDeluxe U195 or Peluso range . I was considering an Apogee mini-me (used) or something like the new Focusrite ISA One dig. I'm looking into these b/c they have converters. (obviously an additional 2K for converters pretty much puts the kaibosh on this plan) . I have an EMU 0404 which I assume would be a terrible choice to send the better mic and pre through for it's converters. Is this like getting killed on the last day of the war?

SO:

Are these mic and pre/converter choices "pro" enough? Or am I just getting more expensive pro-sumer gear? (I believe "moist pro" as it was once called). Or should I just save up a little more and get the next level?

I understand the importance of the room, the skill and all the other factors involved. I know that gear WON'T make a recording great. I have been down that path (and lost ). I just want 1 chain/path that I can have confidence in and know that it is "pro".

I appreciate you time and feedback.
Renting a few hours in a proper studio isn't a bad idea, and won't be so expensive that it would preclude you from purchasing gear. Also, there is no better way to try out gear than to rent someone else's and try it yourself. It's your studio time, so if you want to try out every mic pre in the place, you can, and this will give you a basis of understanding that you don't currently have. Plus, if you like the engineer at the studio, you can pick his brain.

You know, I have the ability to record things at my house if I want, but I rarely do, because I LIKE to go to a studio. It gives me more options, I'm guaranteed the isolation I need, and I don't end up doing all the engineering work, which leaves me open to evaluate as a producer.

Lastly, just a bit of trivia for you: Who coined the term "Moist Pro"?

And yes, I know the answer.

Enjoy,

Mixerman
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixerman View Post
You know, I have the ability to record things at my house if I want, but I rarely do, because I LIKE to go to a studio.
This is a very important point.

I love my time in my studio. Love it! Sometimes I think I'm just writing songs to give me something to mix.

If it is a chore for you to be tracking yourself then get thee to a studio.

Oh.....I'll be awaiting the trivia answer.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search