The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
a good mic for my amp Dynamic Microphones
Old 29th December 2010
Here for the gear

a good mic for my amp

Hi everybody!

I need to find a good mic to record my amp. I'm using a Fender Super Reverb and some tonebender pedals.
My pres are 3124 and 1073dpa.

suggestions?

thanks in advance
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

This is an odd question. Those are top end pres but you don't know what mic to slam in front of a Fender amp? Weird. No offense meant but it's odd.

For single mic'ing, you should probably buy you 3-5 dynamics and just test them out. SM57, Audix i5, Senn MD421, Senn e609, Senn e906, SM7B, Heil PR-20, Heil PR-30, Unidyne III....
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

Yeah some type of Newman variant or an ev pl9 or ev raven or an ev 627
Old 29th December 2010
Do yourself a favor and save a ton of money at the same time. Get a Fat Head II ribbon mic. They're only $220.00 and they stack up with the best on amps. It's ridiculous how affordable these are!

Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

SM57.
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

The fastest and best way to get a good tone into your rig (when you're satisfied with the sound in front of the amp) is this:
A) isolation headphones
B) hear what the mic hears
C) move the mic as you listen and you will find the sweet spot in no time

That's actually much more important than what mic you use. I could get a good tone with any of the mics mentioned, no problem.
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trakworx View Post
Do yourself a favor and save a ton of money at the same time. Get a Fat Head II ribbon mic. They're only $220.00 and they stack up with the best on amps. It's ridiculous how affordable these are!

Love the Fathead but if I can only have a single mic on an electric, I'm not opting for a ribbon; I'm going dynamic, baby! :D
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

SM7B
Old 29th December 2010
Here for the gear

Yes...sorry for the odd question.

I own some 57's a Neumann 149 and a couple of KM 184. I've tried with all those mics but I just don't like the results. Too far from what I can hear in the room. I was thinking about ribbon mics but they are very expensive. What about a Neumann TLM 102?
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gio View Post
I was thinking about ribbon mics but they are very expensive. What about a Neumann TLM 102?
Another oddball question. If you want/like Ribbons, as Trakworx said, the Fathead is an awesome mic at a "cheap for how good it is" price. It's $400+ cheaper than the TLM 102 lol

And those are good mics and good pres you have there. I'm just gonna come right out and say it...

It's
not
the
mics
or
the
pres.
It's
you.

I say that half-joking I've been there (and some days still am there *&^#). I'd suggest you do a few things:

1) Track with two mics: a dynamic (the 57) and a ribbon (Fathead, Beyer M160 are both great, cheap ribbons). Try the dynamic slammed up right by the grill and put the ribbon anywhere from 3"-12" out

2) Spend 30-40 hours on mic placement and various "shootouts" of your own

3) Don't worry about solo'ed tracks sounding HUGE - it's how they sound in the mix that matters. I bet 90% of the "I need a new {mic|pre|amp|etc} threads started by people recording guitar are because of this. They think that, just because the guitar doesn't sound like it does in the room when they solo the track, that it sounds bad. Not true. Quit solo'ing the guitar and focus on EQ'ing/etc in the mix. Obviously wouldn't apply if you record acoustic guitar instrumentals...

4) Bonus! The mics pick up "What's coming out of the speaker" for the most part. If you are standing 5 feet from the amp and are at an angle from the speakers, you aren't hearing what the mics are hearing. Get ear level in front of the speakers for a closer version of what the mics hear. A 57, for example, is a cardiod pattern and it's only going to pick up what's right in front of it. It will reject "the room" for the most part but.... your ears will not if you are 5 feet away. You're hearing the room. If it sounds great in the room, consider swapping the ribbon for a large diaphragm condenser and putting it 2-5' from the cab.

5) Double bonus! Move the amp to a new place in the room. You might be getting standing waves or other issues if you are too close to a wall.
Old 29th December 2010
Here for the gear

you're right again! As you can see by yourself I'm still learning a lot of things! I'm a working musician but new to all this recording stuff. I've just built my little home studio. I'll try what you say Scott!
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Nut

Shure SM57 thumbsup
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

Beyer 160 any day. If you don't get the sound you want out of a 57, the 160 is a godsend. If it still does not sound right, it aint the mic.
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Guru

M88
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Nut

I absolutely love my senn e906 with the pres switch in the middle. Sounds almost identical to what your ears hear and is really easy to find the sweet spot with. I record right into my duet with it and get tones that match commercial productions with little to no eq and some compression.
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gio View Post
I own some 57's a Neumann 149 and a couple of KM 184. I've tried with all those mics but I just don't like the results.
U87.
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

in order of preference:
m160
re15
fathead

that said if you can't get a good sound out of a 57 something is wrong.
Old 30th December 2010
definetly a Beyer M88
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Beyerdynamic m201 deserves mention. nice fat tone. Place 1-2 feet on axis pointed straight at the cone.
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear
beyer m201 or sm57(with tab tranny mod)
and a beyer m160
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by frans View Post
The fastest and best way to get a good tone into your rig (when you're satisfied with the sound in front of the amp) is this:
A) isolation headphones
B) hear what the mic hears
C) move the mic as you listen and you will find the sweet spot in no time

That's actually much more important than what mic you use. I could get a good tone with any of the mics mentioned, no problem.
Not only the fastest and best way, but the only way, IMHO. There are a few mics I don't like. But honestly, there's usually some place between the cone and edge within a couple of feet of an amp that I like, no matter what the mic. Clean guitars, in particular, are really easy to find something good. Just stick it in front, and move it until it sparkles.

That said, lately some of my favorites include the M88, e906, M500, SM57 and SM7b. But I guarantee you can get a good sound by randomly picking any one of them and moving it around.
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Before I got my Royer 122 I was using a Nady ribbon mic with great results. I wouldn't hesitate to try out a Fathead II. For me, putting a ribbon in front of a fender equals great (and easy) results. It typically sounds like whats happening in the room. Try the Fathead! Maybe there's some kind of 30 day return policy on them.
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

M160
md421
sm57

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search