The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Trident 65... What's with it? Consoles
Old 29th December 2010
Here for the gear

Trident 65... What's with it?

Hi,

I've been thinking about acquiring a Trident 65. The size/features are perfect for my needs, I don't need anything bigger. I'm want to use an analogue desk to front a DAW, and for summing also.

I mostly work on rock music, in the large sense of the term, and I'm quite keen to have a desk that doesn't sound perfectly clean and that sounds nice when pushed into the red.

I've looked at many posts on this board concerning this desk, and the vast majority of people seem to be giving it a thumbs down. However I haven't found many people giving specific reasons for this.

OK, lack of headroom seems to be a common complaint.

Are there any people on this board who use one of these desks and love 'em? Warm, dark, crunchy sound: is this the way to go, or is there better in a similar price range?

Thanks a lot!
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Addict

I used mine for almost ten years and was very happy with it. Okay mic pres, very cool eq in a way. Now I sold it and will get an Audient ASP2802 tomorrow - just suits my workflow nowadays a lot better. The 65 is a fine desk however - slightly cloudy, slightly compressed sounding and a tendency towards a little bit of honkiness but it works and gets the job done easily. They are quite noisy though - no problem if you are doing rock n roll, but for more quiet stuff you must be careful as the noisefloor might get in the way. However, I parted with my 65 with a laughing and a crying eye. It's an impressive looking board also and adds alot to the atmosphere in your room. Other options might be a Soundcraft Ghost or the older TS12/TS24 in that price range. I prefered the Trident to the Ghost by quite a bit, though.
Old 29th December 2010
Deleted #157546
Quote:
Originally Posted by SixSix View Post
Hi,

I've been thinking about acquiring a Trident 65. The size/features are perfect for my needs, I don't need anything bigger. I'm want to use an analogue desk to front a DAW, and for summing also.

I mostly work on rock music, in the large sense of the term, and I'm quite keen to have a desk that doesn't sound perfectly clean and that sounds nice when pushed into the red.

I've looked at many posts on this board concerning this desk, and the vast majority of people seem to be giving it a thumbs down. However I haven't found many people giving specific reasons for this.

OK, lack of headroom seems to be a common complaint.

Are there any people on this board who use one of these desks and love 'em? Warm, dark, crunchy sound: is this the way to go, or is there better in a similar price range?

Thanks a lot!

Yes, from either those that don't know how to mix ITB or to others that are fooling themselves. Don't think your going to gain headroom by mixing on a desk. Your converters are going to give you what they are going to give you.

However, if you thinking about mixing on a desk for a particular 'color' or 'sound' or 'feel' then I think your on the right track looking for a desk to mix on, but I personally don't have experience with that desk.
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Guru

At the risk of offending those who own a 65 and make good use of it, I personally hated that board. Looked great, but was noisey, (noisey enough that tape noise meant nothing) had no headroom, and I hated the pre's and EQ's, and everything sounded kind of smeared going thru it. (What's left??) Loved the wood though. But in my opinion, it was not Trident's greatest effort. Eventually I had to end up just monitoring thru it and bypassing at every possible opportunity. And again, that was back in the days of analog. It will be much more noticeably apparent when using with a DAW.

I'd say give it a try where it lives now, or find a local studio that has one and try it out. There are guys that love them, I'm just not one of them. Obviously they hear something I don't, or love something I hate. heh heh

Good luck. Lots of great used consoles for sale out there these days. thumbsup
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

i back bill.
they can be modded and improved.
but no real magic happens.
why bother.
Old 30th December 2010
Here for the gear

Thanks a lot for your opinions...

So, an OK sounding desk if your aiming for something not too clean and clinical?

I have the opportunity of picking one up, refurbished, for just under 3000€...

Maybe something better in a similar price range? The new Toft desks series?...
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search