The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Multiband compression in acoustic projects : since when ? Dynamics Plugins
Old 29th December 2010
Here for the gear

Multiband compression in acoustic projects : since when ?

Hello,

Since when do studio engineers use "multiband compression" even on acoustic (example : folk guitar + bass + voice) songs ? Since 80s or more recently ?
(maybe they used it before by splitting signal and compressing separately high and low bands ?)

Examlpe : in 2000s pop folk songs, like Beck - Sea Change : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnboZTs0ZXw, do you think multiband comp is used on such acoustic projects ?

How do you use multiband compression on acoustic projects ?
Would you use multiband comp on individual voice, or guitar track ?

Final question : which VST multiband comp are the most used ones ?

See you, jebb
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Addict

exactly at the 23. may 1985, 4:25 pm, multiband-compression took over to be used on acoustic folk projects.

a new era began.

pardon me, you ask this for serious?
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Addict

sorry for that answer, but its still just a tool.

if you gain with what you do with it is better than what you lose, from the crossover-points perhaps, in multibandcompressors, than its worth it.

this is not style dependent, even if its classical music.
but its wise, especially if you're not experienced in a style of music, to think twice and be very careful with it.

best multibandcompressor i've ever used is the one integrated in samplitude.

i use that sometimes like sort of an eq too, because you have control over different bands. (often 3-6 bands)

i use them on the 2bus sometimes.

beside that, they are VERY good tools to just learn and find flaws in your mix when you play around with them, then go back and optimise the mix.

hope thats an answer

ps:there is no chance to HEAR if its used on beck
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pongmaster View Post
hope thats an answer
A pretty good one, actually.

From my own standpoint.......and my stuff leans heavily on acoustic guit, bass and vocals......I haven't pulled out my C4 in a very long time.

As the pongmaster said, it can be fun and enlightening to play around with MB compression, but the next morning you are likely to find that your sparse acoustic mix breathes a lot better without that much intensive processing.
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebb View Post
Hello,

Since when do studio engineers use "multiband compression" even on acoustic (example : folk guitar + bass + voice) songs ? Since 80s or more recently ?
(maybe they used it before by splitting signal and compressing separately high and low bands ?)

Examlpe : in 2000s pop folk songs, like Beck - Sea Change : YouTube - Beck - The Golden Age (Subtitulada), do you think multiband comp is used on such acoustic projects ?

How do you use multiband compression on acoustic projects ?
Would you use multiband comp on individual voice, or guitar track ?

Final question : which VST multiband comp are the most used ones ?

See you, jebb
I don`t know when it started but I use multiband compression on just about every mix I do. Would I use it on a vocal you ask... I did so just last week on a vocal track that had lots of sibilance. The Waves C4 is my tool of choice for such endeavors.
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclenny View Post
A pretty good one, actually.

From my own standpoint.......and my stuff leans heavily on acoustic guit, bass and vocals......I haven't pulled out my C4 in a very long time.

As the pongmaster said, it can be fun and enlightening to play around with MB compression, but the next morning you are likely to find that your sparse acoustic mix breathes a lot better without that much intensive processing.
"Intensive processing" does not have to be mandatory. A lot of times my C4 usage is barely doing anything. I sometimes bypass it in certain bands because its unnecessary. Most of the time the C4 is taming the low end, softening the mids and increasing sustain in the high end.

Considering each band can be treated differently makes it such a useful tool. Adding a C4 across a drum bus can do wonders.
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

That's what I love about these discussions......

I have a tune that is nearing completion. Lots of drums from the ol' Ensoniq synth are about to get on the bus. Think I'll dust off that C4 tonight and look at it in a different light.
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

I have client who is more like a R&R shouter singer, who does this folky acoustic music. Sometimes multiband processing is the only way to control his wild vocal dynamics in the bleed, without shutting down everything else.
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

I use multiband compression on acoustic material, but very sparingly, always being careful to not loose too much of the song dynamics or its unprocessed character.
Some times as an eq in fact.

I have found the UAD Precision Multiband to be very good for that, you can make it sound almost transparent yet musical, given you are careful not to overdo it. As for the C4 I think is not so transparent and not really that good for mostly acoustic material, at least to my ears.

It is very good on Pop/R&B songs though, I find it more punchy than the UAD compressor, more "radio ready" if you know what I mean. Same goes for the UAD Precision Limiter vs the Waves L3.
Old 30th December 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pongmaster View Post
exactly at the 23. may 1985, 4:25 pm, multiband-compression took over to be used on acoustic folk projects.
a new era began.
pardon me, you ask this for serious?
Yes, my question was serious
I love learning about the history of the productions techniques... It's always interesting, isn't it ?

And yes I can notice that sometimes, the introduction of new tools really added something to how people are doing music.

When you learn using mixing tools, I really think it's interesting to know since when (since which decade) these tools are used.

----

About multiband compression, my question was rather : has this technique always been used by studio engineer (by using standard compression units + by splitting signals manually) ?
Or is it a rather new technique only used since 10 or 15 years ?

Which were the first important hardware Multiband compression units commonly used in studios ?

thx in advance
Old 31st December 2010
Here for the gear

Hello,
Would someone have some example of a track BEFORE / AFTER usage of Multiband compression ?

Example : vocal track

It would be very interesting for all of us

Thanks a lot
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

My music is generally pretty sparse guitar-vocal, and I use compression sparingly. However, the iZotope MB comp in Sound Forge has been an eye-opener. You don't have to squash, a massage is much more pleasant.
Old 4th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclenny View Post
Think I'll dust off that C4 tonight and look at it in a different light.
I did just that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebb View Post
Hello,
Would someone have some example of a track BEFORE / AFTER usage of Multiband compression ?

Example : vocal track

It would be very interesting for all of us

Thanks a lot
OK.

First verse of my most recent project......Peluso 22 251--->Trident 4T(w/compression)----->PTLE

Files are not volume matched as I was looking for a little attenuation with the compression. After some further processing this file was used in the final mix.

FWIW
Attached Files

Voxtestclean.mp3 (311.2 KB, 685 views)

VoxtestC4.mp3 (311.2 KB, 682 views)

Old 4th January 2011
I recently demoed the C6 and was so impressed that I purchased it. Besides making my 2 bus mixes sound better, I found it great on acoustic projects. My range many times is only around -3db and like others have said, you don't have to use all the bands. Of course the C4 and C6 allows you to add a little EQ to a track as well, and I found the EQ better sounding than the standard EQ plug in that is in Cubase and Samplitude. The C4 and C6 have a gentle smoothness that is very nice.

For some reason the release presets are way too long and I find myself reducing them down a bit.

I love taking a short break and then doing a A/B comparrison with before and after. Most of the time it sounds better with the multiband on. When it doesn't, usually I solo the band and listen carefully to what is being done and modify the range and attack time. Then when I turn off the solo, the mix sounds great

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search