The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Anyone know of a vocal re-pitching service on the web?
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Nut

Anyone know of a vocal re-pitching service on the web?

Hi folks

Does anybody know anyone whom offers a vocal fixing service for recorded tracks?

I have a song which I realise would do better if it was a key lower. Just the feel of song works better a key down. I also just cant seem to do justice to the vocal track when I resing it in a lower key and would love to use the existing vocal track I recorded and comped. For some reason this take just seems better to me.

I also have another slight issue that I eq'ed a bit too much during tracking (I know, noices like me should never do this) and its a little too midrange nasal sounding.

When I tried to melodyne a semitone lower for the lower key it goes chipmunk like.

So I am after somone that could:

1) drop the vocal tack by one semitone without chipmunking the sound
2) perhaps eq the vocal again to compensate for some of the nasal vocal?

Anyone know such a service where I could email the track and get it back fixed? I tried "vocaltuning.com" but I never heard back form them. Also tried gearslut user "kkulesh" but he said he no longer does it.

Any help would be so appreciated.
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear
are you saying you can't sing the song as well when it's set 'a semitone' lower? As in moving from A to Ab?

If I'm understanding correctly, you've already reworked the track to a lower key. If it's really a semitone, I don't see how vocal tuning would in any way be better than tracking another performance.

As a vocalist myself, I understand that sometimes you finish tracking something only to realize it isn't right and you really don't want to do it again. However, that's just the name of the game isn't it?

I've never actually tuned my vocal tracks, though I may try it this year...I just did takes until I got what I wanted. Not always fun, but that's music sometimes. I'm not against it for minor corrections and whatnot, but why not just give it a good go if it's just a semi-tone.

If it's a whole key or two, then it may be that you want a different style performance, and not just vocal tuning. If I had to choose, I'd rather rely on the human vs. the code on this one. Either way, hope you get it figured out....and maybe I'm officially 'old'?
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

I agree with above, but I'll add....

You could try pitch-based time change... aka slowing the track down to where it's a semi-tone lower. Provided the slower tempo doesn't ruin things lol... but it's worth a shot. Beyond that you have to just rerecord it - it'll never sound right autotuned or melodyned... you said you want to preserve the original performance, tuning it is not the way to achieve that. Also, if there's a bad EQ problem with it that can be very hard to correct after the fact (although often not...).

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search