The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Guitar Center bartering
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Head

Guitar Center bartering

Is it true they have stopped with the "give me your best price" thing?
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Head

for me. yes. they said they dont do that anymore because people are getting unfairly treated.
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

Since when?

I know that directly across the street from GC hollywood is Sam Ash, so it's easy enough to walk across the street for a better deal, which I've done before.

At least for GC hollywood, it would be professional suicide to not haggle at that store. Also, musiciansfriend is their web store, so if they don't even attempt to match their own web store price (meaning, no sales tax), then I just buy from musicians friend.
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

What's with GC sending emails with certains deals, for ex.

Get $30 off your next purchase!

I went to order something and shipping wasn't free, and it just so happened that shipping was $30! So I didn't get a deal on anything. While all other stores give you free shipping plus the extra money deal! I am done with GC! This was the final straw for me!
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear
They stopped doing that a couple years back after they got purchased by some large company. Apparently being the largest music retailer in America wasn't enough to keep the stock price pointing up.

It's a lot more formal now and usually requires direct approval by the manager on hand. You can still end up paying less, it just isn't the open ended negotiation it once was. More like 10% (tax) off and whatnot. You can still get a better deal than that, but your sales guy must now run it by the manager, who's "effectiveness/competence" is being quantified by corporate in a slightly different way.

So, you can still offer your best price...it's just there are more hoops that could potentially stop that deal from happening now.
Old 29th December 2010
I have better luck getting them to throw in some other kit instead, stands, cables etc.
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacklion View Post
They stopped doing that a couple years back after they got purchased by some large company. Apparently being the largest music retailer in America wasn't enough to keep the stock price pointing up.

It's a lot more formal now and usually requires direct approval by the manager on hand. You can still end up paying less, it just isn't the open ended negotiation it once was. More like 10% (tax) off and whatnot. You can still get a better deal than that, but your sales guy must now run it by the manager, who's "effectiveness/competence" is being quantified by corporate in a slightly different way.

So, you can still offer your best price...it's just there are more hoops that could potentially stop that deal from happening now.
That is true...

Boston company Bain Capital LLC is who purchased them..
They own AMC Entertainment, Aspen Education Group, Brookstone, Burger King, Burlington Coat Factory, Domino's Pizza, DoubleClick, D&M Holdings, Guitar Center, Hospital Corporation of America (HCA), Sealy, The Sports Authority, Toys R Us, Unisource, Warner Music Group and The Weather Channel.

I didn't know until I looked though one of the partners is Mitt Romney..
I never buy from them anymore. WHen I did work music stores back in the day..It was always cool family owned stores. I have hookups and rep buddies I deal with. I really hate the Corp (Best Buy) type music store shopping.
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

I try to bargain with them every time. Doesn't usually work but I get something for free sometimes warrenty or a drum key it's not much but I only shop at GC when I need something and need it right away. Otherwise I have always been able to find better deals on the net, And sometimes I go in there and there is already a really good deal on something. Not often though.
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

Between used gear on craigslist and ebay, gs, etc, and being able to shop online for stuff, I hardly ever go to GC. The last time was because I had a coupon for $10 off. so I bought a couple mic cables. Before that I went because I had a $50 gift card I got for taking one of the their customer surveys. Other than that, I haven't been in a couple of years.

There are nice things about big music stores, and a lot of locally owned shops have closed in this recession, which sucks. But I still don't dig shopping at GC.
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

My main problem with GC is that is takes absolutely forever to get anything purchased. Ive spend half an hour waiting to buy guitar strings, waited for 25 minutes for someone who said that they would "be right back," etc. Unless Im in a pinch, I always order online, or buy from a smaller music store here in town.

However, I must note that I have only had positive experiences with GC's repair shop, they have always been quite proficient in my experience.
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

i HATE HATE HATE guitar center. The staff doesnt know crap....instead they pretend to know the answer, but give wrong info about 75% of the time. They say the wrong answer with such conviction like they really know what they are talking about.....but sometimes i just want to say "Really?......did those words really just come out of your mouth? dumbass....."

They dont barter with me. They would much more let you walk out of the store without a purchase than bargain with you.

The only thing i go there for is a multi-pack of guitar stings. Most of the time they have a 10-pack of a particular brand for $20, i just go in there.....grab a few boxes to stock up.....and walk out.

That place depresses me now. The atmosphere isnt even fun anymore, with a bunch of douchbag staff wandering around with attitudes and egos.....they may ask you "if you need some help", but they say it like someone is holding a gun to their head....

All my shopping is done online now-a-days.....
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

At my GC

They stopped the guys from doing deals over a year ago. Corporate said it was to "Stop employees from giving all their buddies the best deals". Only the manager could approve it, and the guys at this store hardly ever do. Since then, I only shop there on the big sale days and still only walk out with a fraction of what I used to. It's obviously their call to do all this, but it just makes me go back to the net and buy everything, instead of a local business. I've even had them NOT price match an item that was in stock at an established music web site which, again, is their right. Oh well, back to eBay and geartree I go.
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

Where I am, Sam Ash and another decent sized music store are right up the road and still GC won't barter.

Best you can do is get them to toss in a stand or cables etc.

The staff ignores me as well BTW.
Maybe it's because I'm an old fart and they figure I don't know anything.

I loathe going there and only do it when I need something right away and it's not in stock at the other stores, not that they are that much better.
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Head

Buying new from GC is a no no. However.. Guitar Center used

Best discovery I've ever made. Got a 22" Zildjian K Ride for $90.
Also, although it is a waste of time usually, sometimes if they mess up your order by phone, then you can go complain to the manager at your local one, and they generally will do something nice for you.

I got a mxl 990/991 mic package for $25, complements to john working at guitar center in atlanta :D
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

Hah, guess I just have a good hookup. My GC I get deals all the time from the guy I know. And his manager always approves it.
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

GC used to offer me the best price on everything I bought, usually special order stuff they don't stock. My local small market store doesn't stock much that interests me, but I will buy some things. Strings most of the time. There are a couple of veteran sales guys that I will talk to. They know I know my ****, so they don't BS me. It's all about "if they have it, I'll spend". If not, buy on line.

DaveT

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search