The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What has been the most stable DAW on the Mac platform? DAW Software
Old 29th December 2010
Deleted User
We use Cubase 5.5 and I've never known it to crash, 4 never either.
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

lol mac
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by squatski View Post
lol mac
lol irrelevant, unproductive trollish comments.
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by enroper View Post
lol irrelevant, unproductive trollish comments.
Sorry I meant... Macs??? Stable??? - LOL
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
LOL!
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Nut

[QUOTE=rcb4t2;6158783]The "peak" of USB2.0 is faster, but the sustained transfer rates are generally faster on FW400. Also, the "overhead" of the USB protocol is more than on FW, so in practice the FW is still faster.

+1

FW400 always runs at 400mb/s while Usb2 varies from 1mb/s to 480mb/s....but in my experience, usb 2 is NEVER running full speed.

In practice, FW400 is stable and WAY faster than usb2.

For the OP. Try to remember the steps that causes your crashes, try to bypass those steps. (like try opening a window in a diff wa if thats what causes the crashes...)

For example, i am aware of a crash on Nuendo 5 that i can reproduce anytime... there is 4-5 steps that leads to a crash of the software. Now i know how to get around it no prob...
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Addict

No software is perfect. Also, so much relies on each person's configuration. But FWIW, of the DAWs I own, I would put Reaper up there on the top of the list for stability. On the rare occasion that I've ever gotten a crash, it never wrecks anything and recovers perfectly.

As mentioned, things like a Logitech driver, etc. when combined with something else on a user's system, can be problematic. Also, some of the earlier iMacs had FW issues with the brand of chip used (Lucent, I believe) and I think I remember hearing there were some problems. Apparently the new iMacs are once again using the Texas Instruments ones which are better. But don't give up on Reaper just yet. More stable and responsive for me than Logic, and I used Logic for 10 years.

Separate audio drive is important, IMO. Also, if your interface is a firewire one. because using a FW drive and interface, could be bottlenecking, because they share. Could also be a touchy interface driver. I had huge problems years ago when I used an M-Audio driver. Once I got rid of that, my issues stopped.
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

Ive been using Cubase 5 on a Mac Pro with the Steinberg MR816 and its been solid as a rock.
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

Hmm. I'm going to try making a 'recording' profile and logging in under that, and also trying the USB 2.0 drive. I emailed echo to see if they recommended chaining a firewire drive off of the audiofire or not.

I'd like to keep reaper around, I really would. I hope its something simple and not the DAW itself.
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

Logic runs stable as all get out on my older MBP, even when I was using my internal drive for storage. Now I have a new 500Gig external usb2.0 drive, and that seems to be doing fine as well.

I don't tax my system with much else, and I keep around 10gigs free on the internal drive.

Audacity is similarly stable for me, though I use it less often. Not much reason to, when Logic does so well.

I wish my windows machine had the same stability and reliability. Even when I baby it, I have to reinstall os every 6 months or so as it starts to ossify.
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

Logic Pro 9 on Snow Leopard is rock solid for me.
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Hmm. I'm going to try making a 'recording' profile and logging in under that,
That'll be a good idea to try to narrow down any culprits.

Quote:
I'd like to keep reaper around, I really would. I hope its something simple and not the DAW itself.
I think it's something other than the DAW. I never feel I have to baby Reaper when I run it, it's always been solid.
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmuse View Post
That'll be a good idea to try to narrow down any culprits.

I think it's something other than the DAW. I never feel I have to baby Reaper when I run it, it's always been solid.
I suspect it might be an errant plugin. Since all times I crashed was when I went to open the FX windows. I think it might be the SonEQ plugin, as that's a new one I've been trying. I'm going to look at the other crash logs, if that plugin was running during the other crashes, then that would be the trigger. Which would suck cause that plugin does sound good!
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

The internal drives on current imacs are 7200 rpm and if you have a properly tuned system and a solid interface/drivers, I can say without any hesitation (as long as you're not stream a boatload of samples while tracking, the imacs' internal drive is NOT the problem in your case.

Sure having separate drives is best, but it will not be a problem until you really push things.

I have a metric halo 2882 that works flawlessly with reaper using the exact same imac as you are. I use it as a smaller location rig when the Radar is overkill and it has worked great. I did an in depth test with my rig when I set it up. 16 tracks of 500hz sine waves @ 24/44.1 simultaneously for 2 hours straight to the internal drive. All files were imported into wavelab and analyzed for errors - ZERO.

I would start by looking at incompatible, buggy plugins and then once you've ruled that out, try a different interface.
Good luck...

Z
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
As if pc's are...******
I agree that you are a troll
For the OP, Logic works great...
Old 29th December 2010
Our PTHD rig (accel 3, v7.3 on a PPC G5) is quite reliable.
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue element View Post
Digital Performer is my favorite DAW. Had never problems and is running rugged
Been on DP for 10+ years through 3 Macs. I recall, maybe, 3 or 4 crashes in all that time. Very stable for me.

About 7 years @ 4-5 days a week w/ clients. Last few years, 1-3 days.
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Ugh, well I hate to single out somebody making a cool freeware plug, but the only 3 crash reports I have from REAPER, all had SonEQ running during the crash. And all 3 crashes happened on a write function of showing the VST window.

I emailed the developer, hopefully he can fix it

Guess I may have dissed REAPER prematurely. I'll continue using it and hopefully I don't have to switch DAWs

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search