The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Monitoring on Pro Tools 9 with a Lucid 8824 Digital Converters
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Monitoring on Pro Tools 9 with a Lucid 8824

So I have a Digi 003 and have just upgraded to Pro Tools 9. I have used my Lucid 8824 with my Digi 003 and am wondering if (and how) to monitor off of just my Lucid converters. I would like to sell my Digi 003 if I don't need it. Can anyone help with this? What's the best way to monitor with Pro Tools 9? ALSO!!....I am using a Mac Book Pro. Figured that would be some good info to know. Thanks
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Maniac

BUMP
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Maniac

No one? .... Ok let me ast this what's the overall best way to monitor from PT9? Would it be from my computers audio out? I find this disturbing.
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Nut

You just use two outputs on your Lucid, and get some sort of monitor controller/attenuator.
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

Because the lucid box is just an AD/DA, not an audio interface, you will always need an audio interface with an ADAT I/O. 003 is probably fine for these purposes.

To monitor only from the lucid converters, you'll need to put a stereo monitor controller between 2 of its outputs and your speakers, as someone else in this thread mentioned. You can go in and edit the I/0 in pro tools so the lucid outputs 1 and 2 are the default, which will make your life much easier!

Seeing as you're looking to monitor from your good converters, it would be wise to look for a monitor controller with a good reputation for transparency. It will be a big step up for you in terms of monitoring avoiding the 003 converters and the monitoring section.
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by NF Audio View Post
Because the lucid box is just an AD/DA, not an audio interface, you will always need an audio interface with an ADAT I/O. 003 is probably fine for these purposes.

To monitor only from the lucid converters, you'll need to put a stereo monitor controller between 2 of its outputs and your speakers, as someone else in this thread mentioned. You can go in and edit the I/0 in pro tools so the lucid outputs 1 and 2 are the default, which will make your life much easier!

Seeing as you're looking to monitor from your good converters, it would be wise to look for a monitor controller with a good reputation for transparency. It will be a big step up for you in terms of monitoring avoiding the 003 converters and the monitoring section.
Thanks much. I started another thread about monitoring in PT9. I am really just starting to understand it outside of the Digi 003. I am already looking at the Presonus Monitoring station. Do you have any recommendations? The only other thing I just got to noticing is how would I connect my Lucid converters up to my Macbook Pro? Maybe I should just keep the 003? Maybe I'm making it too complicated. HAHa
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumstud View Post
Thanks much. I started another thread about monitoring in PT9. I am really just starting to understand it outside of the Digi 003. I am already looking at the Presonus Monitoring station. Do you have any recommendations? The only other thing I just got to noticing is how would I connect my Lucid converters up to my Macbook Pro? Maybe I should just keep the 003? Maybe I'm making it too complicated. HAHa
Well basically (as far as I know, as I've not super familiar with those lucids) you'll always need something between your MacBook Pro and your Lucid converters. Any audio interface that has ADAT inputs and outputs will do... and since you've already got a 003 that's probably as good as anything.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search