The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How much should I be spending on cables? Modular Synthesizers
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Head

How much should I be spending on cables?

So I'm in need of about 3-4 more xlr cables, and I've heard its a bad idea to skimp out here, so how much would be a acceptable amount to spend on cables?
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

Just buy cables with sturdy plugs that you can open up to fix......Neutrik are good. Don't worry yourself overly about cables, as long as they don't break/short out they will sound good
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Head

Obviously this wouldn't be the best choice, but the price is VERY tempting. Would it be a bad idea to get these? Horizon Standard Lo-Z Microphone Cable - 20' 6-Pack and more Microphone Cables at GuitarCenter.com.
Old 29th December 2010
Vum
Lives for gear

OP -

Depending on your time-frame you should consider making them yourself. Also, 9/10 times a bad cable has been poorly soldered at the connection - grab yourself about a dozen XLR pairs and you can repurpose cheap/inexpensive/broken cables for a pittance.

Plus, if you're not familiar with how they are constructed it is the gateway to being your own tech which will make you a much better engineer down the road.
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

Planet waves! The DB25 snake system is a lifesaver and amazing quality (and great bang for the buck)
Guaranteed for life on their cables

Highly recommended stuff
Old 29th December 2010
member no 666

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieculbert View Post
Obviously this wouldn't be the best choice, but the price is VERY tempting. Would it be a bad idea to get these? Horizon Standard Lo-Z Microphone Cable - 20' 6-Pack and more Microphone Cables at GuitarCenter.com.
24 awg. wire is pretty light. If you can find wire that is at least 22 awg. you'll probably be happier. If you can build the cables you'll be way better off. I usually use Canare L-4e6s for mic lines, Mogami (don't know a model number) is also up to the task... Neutrik connectors are easiest.

If you build them yourself [budget a 1/2 hour per cable] you'll get better quality for lower cost.

Peace.
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:

Good god no. Horizon is the crappiest cable on the market...noisy as an aeroplane.

Get yourself some decent cables without breaking the bank man.

Mogami silver series mic cables are fantastically quiet, with excellent clarity and nice Neutrik connectors that are easy to open up.

Although I usually buy mogami premolded interconnects from REDCO, Musicians Friend is who I go to for the mogami silver series mic stuff. $22 for 25ft. cables. Buy Mogami Silver Series Microphone Cable | Microphone Cables | Musician's Friend

All the mogami stuff I've bought over the years still rocks it for me today. I've got mogami stuff that's still going strong that's 10 yrs. old. Not a single mogami cable has ever crapped out on me.
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Head

Can someone please explain to me or give me a link to an explanation of making your own cables? Is it something that will not work well at my first attempts?
Old 29th December 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Can someone please explain to me or give me a link to an explanation of making your own cables? Is it something that will not work well at my first attempts?
It's like anything: the more you do it, the better you get. Like Fletcher says, you'll get higher quality for a lower cost if you make them yourself. (And you can make them any length you want!)
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles Jackson View Post
It's like anything: the more you do it, the better you get. Like Fletcher says, you'll get higher quality for a lower cost if you make them yourself. (And you can make them any length you want!)
So where would I learn to do such things?
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

I taught myself to build cables. Frustrating at first, but well worth it.

get parts here CHEAP!

Redco Audio - Redco Audio Home Page
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
The interweb

Try doing some searches on youtube and what not...its not really that difficult, you just gotta be handy with a soldering iron.
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Just look around. There's even a few youtube videos out there on basic soldering skills.
All you really need is a soldering iron (NOT a soldering gun), solder, some kind of vice or clamp, and a pocket knife.

Hell, I use the plastic toothpick on my pocket knife to unbraid the shield on my canare wires. It's a relaxing process!
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Head

Thanks to everyone for the replies . I do have all the equipment needed to make my own cables, so I'm going to start doing that eventually, but for now I need some cables quick and easy because I'm busy working on building a room in my basement for recording,so will Livewire cables be alright?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search