The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
NI Voucher, Logic 9.1.3, etc... Dynamics Plugins
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Addict

NI Voucher, Logic 9.1.3, etc...

Hello!

- I have 85 $ left for a NI product to expand Komplete 7. Which product to go for? What have been the latest additions to the NI universe?
I'm into modern Rock, Pop and R 'n' B.

Alicia's Keys, AB 70s/80s/Modern Drums, Session Strings... anything else to look at?

I have Ivory, all Addictive Drums and Superior 2. Should I still consider Alicia's Keys, or the Abbey Road Drums? Is Session Strings recommended for I have no quality string sounds atm? Or would you rather go with LASS, Hollywood or some VSL stuff for getting natural, organic string sounds in rock ballads and radio pop/rock??

Please give me some insight.

- Moreover...I'm on Logic 9.1.1 still... Has the core distribution problem been solved with logic 9.1.3? I have a new iMac i7 Quad, I remember that with Logic 9.1.2. you had to do a certain trick with a command line to make use of all 4 (8 virtual) cores...still the case with 9.1.3?? What was the command again?

- Last but not least...I tell you what I have in my DAW, you tell me what is missing...

Sequencer: Logic 9
Reverb: Altiverb
Limiter: PSP Xenon, Flux Limiter, Paul Frindle DSM, Airwindows NC17, 3DClip
Compressor: Cytomic The Glue, Softube CL1B, Stillwell Rocket, PSP OldTimer
Bass Synth: Trilian
Piano: Ivory 2
Synth/Sampler: Komplete 7
Drums: Addictive Drums and Add-Ons, Superior 2 and Add-Ons, Hit Kit V3
FX (Delay, Chorus etc..):
Saturation: Vintage Warmer
EQ: DMG EQuality, PSP sQuad

When producing, I have the feeling that I'm missing a up-to-date tape emulations and/or saturation ... Besides, I feel I need a nice Delay, Chorus, Fx package that sounds analog...and I miss an EQ that has nice smooth, analog highs (6-15 kHz) to actually emphasize certain high freqs 3-6 dB without making them sound harsh or digital...
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Addict

NI Voucher, Logic 9.1.3, etc...

Bump
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

1. If you're not having problems in Logic, I wouldn't update.

2. The two or three things I see that you're "missing," right off the bat would be:

Slate Digital Virtual Console Collection--IMO "the" emulation plug for subtle analog saturation--this will be officially released soon. You missed the public beta.

Soundtoys Decapitor for not so subtle saturation to heavy distortion--actually, you should buy the whole soundtoys bundle for the other fx you mentioned...

Sonimus SonEQ--a new donationware EQ that is amazingly sweet in the high end, sounds good all around, and has a few saturation tricks up it's sleeve.

Alternately, you could demo "Desk" and "Buss Colours" from Airwindows--may be as effective as VCC--I haven't messed with them that much as I
already have and love VCC. Mellowmuse has a saturation plug too you could demo. Oh, god, I almost forgot:

Magnetic from Nomad Factory--loving this! It's tape/tube/whatever but it has lots of vibe and was only $50, not sure if that's still the case. There are whole threads devoted to each of these...
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Addict

Okay. Guess I really need that SoundToys package...Thanks for the eq tip.

It's so hard to decide concerning tape/saturation...
- Nomad Magnetic
- McDSP Analog Channel
- Slate VCC
- SoundToys Decapitator/Juice
- Airwindows IronOxide

They do different things...but which one does the tape thing best? Above all...which of the tape sims is best in actually squeezing the transients in a tape like way? (and getting better rms) Which one does have the most analog non linear and complex harmonics?

Hmm.

Can anyone tell me that Logic 4 core command line for all quad users??
Or has the problem been solved on logic 9.1.3.?
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

I don't know that any of them "really," do the "tape," thing, and only Mag and IO from that list are intended to.

If you get the Soundtoys, you'll have Decapitator--that will take care of your medium to extreme saturation/eq/tone-shaping.

I have decap, slate, and magnetic. I demoed AC and didn't feel like it did anything more/better than what I have. To be fair, it wasn't in the budget, so I didn't really dig, and I didn't put it across all/multiple channels. I have demoed it as RTAS and liked the results, but I'm not sure that I couldn't get the same results now with Magnetic, and better results with the Slate/Mag combos.

I don't think any other plug out now does what Slate does in the dept. of "analoging," a mix--putting it across all tracks makes a very tangible difference in depth, punch, and cohesion for me previously unattainable.

So for me, Slate, Mag, and Decap are very different, and each very useful in it's own way. My $.02

Oh, and I tried IronOxide briefly, but same sitch as AC--I already have the others, as well as Virsyn Tape, and Massey medium, which I felt it was somewhat similar to, but also wasn't looking to buy something else. For $50, I'm sure it would find it's place, but I can't really comment on that one. Drive2 is a cool free one from Chris to check out, and Density 2.
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

I know it's not utilizing your NI Credit note but I would seriously consider getting the Sound Toys Native Bundle.

That would take care of your effects (Echoboy? Enough said.) AND give you the downright indispensable (in my view) Decapitator.

And pretty sure 9.1.3 took care of the multicore situation as well. Might wanna double-check over on the Logic Benchmark thread. Think it was discussed over there?

R.
Old 31st December 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noise Commander View Post
Can anyone tell me that Logic 4 core command line for all quad users??
Or has the problem been solved on logic 9.1.3.?
Solved.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search