The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Have identical gear, but can't come close to the sound. Dynamic Microphones
Old 29th December 2010
Here for the gear

Have identical gear, but can't come close to the sound.

Hey guys,

I'm new to the forum but the specific reason why I joined was to get some guidance into an area of music making that I'm still fresh at.

First and foremost I'm a guitar player (dime a dozen, I know) and also a beat boxer who has been compiling the pieces to set up a mobile recording studio. I've got many a inspiration off of YouTube and therefore have tried to customize my setup by colouring it with various gear that my favorite YouTube artists have.

I am working off of a Macbook Pro and using GarageBand as my only source of recording software. The rest of my gear includes:

- Rode NT1A
- Shure SM57 & 58
- Presonus Firestudio Mobile
- Boss RC-20XL Loop Pedal
- Martin 000 acoustic/electric guitar
- and a pair of Sony MDR-7506 headphones (for live monitoring).

That being said I've tried to create multitrack recordings on garageband but they always seem to come out lackluster compared with the sound that I heard though my headphones that are connected directly to the Firestudio. As a side note I am only using two inputs on the Firestudio. The first is dedicated to the Rode condenser mic and the 2nd input on the front is from the output on my Looper Pedal which has the SM58 and my guitar plugged into it.

These are some examples of the people/videos that have inspired me and also act as a gauge for sound quality that I would like to achieve with my home recording material:

Gabe Bondoc - YouTube - gabebondoc's Channel

Ebrahiem - YouTube - eebsofresh's Channel

I want to build and record a song live with my loop pedal, similar to what is done in the second video, which i will later sync with video.

In the first video I paid special attention to where the mic was positioned and tried to replicate this in my own setup because every attempt failed miserably with getting sound quality even close to the one in his video.

I guess the question that im posing is how I will be able to achieve the same, more practically similar, sound quality that these artists develop?

I'm hoping it's something as easy as a tweak or a button press in Garageband but expecting the worst and I'm open to suggestions and directions (feel free to write point form directions)

PS. If I posted this in an incorrect section please let me know and i'll move it!

Cheers + Thanks in advance,
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

You'll get a lot of assistance/suggestions if you post a clip of your work for comparison.
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

This has got to be a wind up.

Surely nobody believes that all you have to do to paint a picture like Picasso is buy the same brand of paintbrushes and paint?
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Nut

yup, you should definately post some of your work.

For example, it's hard to know what you mean by "sound quality". Is it your mix that you are worried about, or the actual quality of the audio? As stated, post some clips and help will be on its way
Old 29th December 2010

i think your missing talent im guessing
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

Try getting your stuff professionally mastered. There are guys right in the Mastering Forum Section here that will give you free samples/snippets of their work.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search