The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sharing my 1176/6176 settings for pop vocals Dynamics Plugins
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Addict

Sharing my 1176/6176 settings for pop vocals

For modern pop:

Attack at 9:30 o'clock
Release at 2:30 o'clock
Gain reduction using the all-buttons-pressed overdrive setting ('ALL' on a 6176 channel strip)

Most of you doing the same?

I'm told this is the 'Dr. Pepper' setting?

I've previously only used an LA2A optical compressor so this is new to me. I mean I get it, it's not conceptually new, but it's new in my personal studio.
Old 4th March 2011
Gear Addict

I would very rarely use ALL IN setting during tracking for vocals... i keep it 4:1 or 8:1 usually
Old 4th March 2011
Lives for gear

Dr. Pepper mode would be input at 10', output at 2' and ratio at 4:1.
Set attach and release to your liking (a good start is slow attach (knob ccw) and short release (knob cw)
Old 4th March 2011
Gear Maniac

don´t overcompress at tracking, 4:1 is more than enough and release depends on songtempo - or fastest release for in the face vocal style. attack is typically between 10 and 1 o´clock. overdoing things brings up alot of hassle later on (sibilance, breathing and other artifacts get extremely enhanced). input just enough to reduce gain about -9db at the loudest parts and set output just to hit -10db peak at your AD-converter. hope that helps, best regards darc.
Old 4th March 2011
Lives for gear

I wouldn't say don't use the all setting...if it's that kind of distortion you're after then that's where it is...

Because it's such a fast compressor it's really sensitive, so it's not a "set and forget" thing. For light compression you can get away with it, but in my opinion 1176s need to be driven hard to get the best out of their characteristics. I like the vocals sounding mean and spitty, but not harsh and peaky! There's a fine line in getting that right. Volume automation (pre-compression) can really help. Sometimes I'll hammer the peaks with a 2A after to tidy up.

Ratio is just entirely dependent on what you're doing. All buttons in doesn't have to appear to be doing much to make a big difference to the sound.

Attack/Release tend to end up somewhere around slowest attack/fastest release and I tend to go with a 4:1 ratio to avoid major pumping (but only because I set the input pretty high most of the time). I love all buttons in on snare. Doesn't have to be doing much - just enough to bring out some air and a little snap if you get the attack right.

Different types of model sound incredibly different too. I didn't believe the hype until I heard a Urei for the first time...
Old 4th March 2011
Lives for gear

2 & 10 o clock is the way to go imo
Old 31st August 2013
Lives for gear

2 is input and 10 is out put? thebackwardsman?

Ps loved the dr. Pepper settings... why is it called that?

Also if your at 2 in your COMP output... how are you getting levels? turning up level button will clip Pre section... im so confused... is my 6176 broken? lol
Old 31st August 2013
Lives for gear

2 years ago, no idea what I meant. My favourite setting for both hw and software is attack 12 o'clock, fastest release. Input and output dependent on material, normally just leave input at 10 o'clock and adjust the amount of compression by trimming whatever's before the 1176.
Old 31st August 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennaOkoye View Post
2 is input and 10 is out put? thebackwardsman?

Ps loved the dr. Pepper settings... why is it called that?

Also if your at 2 in your COMP output... how are you getting levels? turning up level button will clip Pre section... im so confused... is my 6176 broken? lol
2 and 10 refers to the attack and release not the input/output. I believe that the term "D. Pepper" setting comes from back in the day when the soda company ran commercials advertising that it was good to have Dr. Pepper at 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock (for some reason).
Old 31st August 2013
Lives for gear

Haha that's hilarious ! My next question was to ask that!

One more question any time I turn my comp output past 4 or 5 it introduces some hiss which disappears as I turn the dial to BP. Bad tube? Or is that Normal?
Old 31st August 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Haha that's hilarious ! My next question was to ask that!

One more question any time I turn my comp output past 4 or 5 it introduces some hiss which disappears as I turn the dial to BP. Bad tube? Or is that Normal?
I don't own that unit but I've heard it said that the pre is not especially quite. The amp in the compressor circuit will just amplify any noise coming out of the pre. Gain staging is always important in signal chains like this.

Take a look at this thread: Hiss Through UA 6167 - Pls Help
Old 31st August 2013
Lives for gear

Hah! None of this is relevant without having a spec for the input level.
Old 31st August 2013
i love the ALL setting. Generally I crank the input and set the attack slightly slower than the "transient disappear spot". Release depends: sometimes I look at the meter and set it in a way that it pumps touching the zero, other times i set it real fast to get some breath out from the mic. No need to specify desired Gain Reduction. Ears will suggest it :D
Old 31st August 2013
Gear Head

Mostly record & mix metal/rock.
Somebody mentioned years ago about Johnny Cash "settings" from album produced by Rick Rubin and I found that pretty cool sounding.
I usually link two 1176's together. First one is 8:1 with fastest attack & fastest release and the second one gives edge to vocals 12:1 with attack at 1 o'clock and release at 2 o'clock.
Some might say it's over compressing, I call it 95% ready sound.
And yes, I ride the input gain on the first 1176 if needed.
Old 1st September 2013
Lives for gear

Guys I bypass and turn level all the way up on pre still not as much noise
Old 1st September 2013
Lives for gear

99% of the time I'm setting the 1176 (for vocals) into same position of what I happened to see from a CLA mixing video: Attack @ 10 o'clock and release fastest :D If something sticks out I put something in front of (that is before) it (perhaps an LA-2A to even out general dynamics or a brickwall limiter to kill spikes so the onsets the 1176 is letting through won't get overwhelming). Oh and 4:1 ratio seems to be the best for me.
Old 2nd September 2013
Lives for gear

Even when there is no mic connected
Old 2nd September 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spede View Post
99% of the time I'm setting the 1176 (for vocals) into same position of what I happened to see from a CLA mixing video: Attack @ 10 o'clock and release fastest :D If something sticks out I put something in front of (that is before) it (perhaps an LA-2A to even out general dynamics or a brickwall limiter to kill spikes so the onsets the 1176 is letting through won't get overwhelming). Oh and 4:1 ratio seems to be the best for me.
That's funny because that's exactly how I set it for tracking with 4:1. I never change anything on it except the input gain a bit.
Old 10th September 2013
Lives for gear

yea CLA uses the 10 o'clock attack and fastest release.
To me though, software versions of the 1176 generally sound a little slower compared to HW. Hence the 12 o'clock attack.
Old 12th September 2013
Lives for gear

Hoooldd up!

Is ur 10 and 2 like how the clock actually looks

Or 10 on the actual dial and 2 on then other. So fastest attack and medium release

???
Old 18th September 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hoooldd up!

Is ur 10 and 2 like how the clock actually looks

Or 10 on the actual dial and 2 on then other. So fastest attack and medium release

???

Clock.
Attached Thumbnails
Sharing my 1176/6176 settings for pop vocals-urei1176.jpg  
Old 19th September 2013
Lives for gear

ahh cool but thats not 10 and 2 thnx!
Old 19th September 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
ahh cool but thats not 10 and 2 thnx!
Well, yeah but it would be if it was
Old 19th September 2013
Gear Maniac

For pop vocals, I love using the all buttons in setting, but generally speaking, I will use it in Parallel. Ill usually set the attack around 10', but make minor adjustments based off the specific vocal (so it doesnt get too grabby with my transients but still grabs them enough to be effective). My release is pretty damn near as fast as it gets, obviously adjusting it as well to fit the vocal/track. But in parallel, ill often bury the needle.
I like this method because I can ride the blend on the faders, giving me a more dynamic vocal in the mix.
I also like one particular 1176 of mine over the other for this (they are both the same blackfaces). One just seems to add more character with all buttons in (more likely just adding more distortion). But, its been my go to for parallel processing of vocals for years.
Old 23rd August 2014
Gear Nut
Need your advise. I am not that experienced!

Mostly I record female pop vocals (where the singer don't have great mic technique).

In the record chain I use the 1176 (A=10 o'clock R= 4 o'clock Ratio 4 GR on average 1-3 but on peaks up to 10 or even more)

While mixing I use the sonalksis compressor and I still need to set the attack fast (2 - 3ms) to catch the unpleasant peaks.

I'm just wondering: If the sound material is that peaky a La2A would certainly make no sense because of its slow attack time.

So the Compressor Chain 1176 - LA2A makes only sense for smooth jazz music !??
Old 23rd August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosty View Post
Dr. Pepper mode would be input at 10', output at 2' and ratio at 4:1.
Set attach and release to your liking (a good start is slow attach (knob ccw) and short release (knob cw)
I always thought 10 and 2 were for attack and release settings. No?
Old 23rd August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundgroove View Post
Singer or source dependent.
Old 24th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundgroove View Post
Need your advise. I am not that experienced!

Mostly I record female pop vocals (where the singer don't have great mic technique).

In the record chain I use the 1176 (A=10 o'clock R= 4 o'clock Ratio 4 GR on average 1-3 but on peaks up to 10 or even more)

While mixing I use the sonalksis compressor and I still need to set the attack fast (2 - 3ms) to catch the unpleasant peaks.

I'm just wondering: If the sound material is that peaky a La2A would certainly make no sense because of its slow attack time.

I record prog rock/metal. I combinr the Blueface 1176 (12 : 1 firing on the louder bits only), with the OPTO Buzz SOC 20 compressing a bit more aggresively. Its the best combination I've got so far. So it really depends on the vocalist. It works for me with aggresive music because some of the vocalists are too aggressive. If I use the 1176 alone, I would end up changing the dynamics too much.
Old 24th August 2014
Lives for gear
I never set and forget a compressor on a vocal. The settings change throughout the song.
verse can have one or more setting, so can the chorus, bridge, etc..
Sometimes i will change a setting to suit a single word or 2.

I believe in automating just about everything pretty much constantly. Otherwise it just sounds dead.

I heard Mike Shipley talk about this many years ago, and it changed the game for me.

I have shy'd away from slapping the 1176 on many vocals. Its just so fast and sensative, it can
end up taking more than it gives. Lately i enjoy doing fader rides by hand, then drawing and cleaning them
up and making them just right with the mouse. Then if i need a compressor for color, fine, but i dont
need to squash the life out of it.

There is this disease going on here at GS for a long time. Everybody wants to sound like everybody else.
Try developing your own style, and things come much easier than when you try to mimic other records.
Old 24th August 2014
Gear Nut
Sorry for all the newbie questions but Im trying to understand.

So the idea could be

To use first the 1176 with high ratio (1:12) and very short attack and relativ short release just to catch the peaks.
The attack could be very short since only the peaks are affected for a short time.
The signal will not sound dull!

Afterwards the peak eliminated signal will go though a more moderate compressor for soft compression.

But isn't the LA2A to slow for vocals?
I've read that the attack time is 10 milliseconds.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search