The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Goofy complex routing technique: moving toms
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Nut

Goofy complex routing technique: moving toms

Alright, I dreamt up this gem a few months ago during a late night mixing session. It's pretty silly.

*THE AMAZING MOVING TOMS*
Okay, so I wanted the Kit image to be pretty tight & natural. I didn't want those ridiculously wide toms banging forward & destroying the sonic picture of a band playing in a room.

BUT, I was really digging some of the bleed from the tom mics. And the bleed sounded best when panned hard. What to do?

So I duped the Tom tracks into two sets, A & B. On set A, I gated the toms pretty hard (-18db or so). I fed the output from set A into the sidechain of set B and hooked up a compressor to duck the poo out of the bleed.

I panned Set A quite narrow & natural, and Set B hard right & left.

I listened to the track.

Turns out that the release times on the Gate of Set A, and the compressor of Set B were nicely matched, but were a bit shorter than the full decay of the toms. So what did I hear? Toms that went Domm----woooohhhh from a narrow to a wide image, each time they were hit.

Kinda cool. I tweaked things until you could hardly hear it happening in the final mix, but I was intrigued by the possibility. And I figured a tiny bit of unrealistic movement like that wouldn't hurt the humanity of the mix
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Nut

Cool idea. Can you post a sound sample of this technique?
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Nut

Yea, I guess I could post something.

I think this could be cooler with other sound sources, as long as the source has enough rhythmic dynamics to trip the gate / comp.
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

i just love the madness of it all
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

Interesting......not done this with drums, but have experimented with similar concepts of inter-channel dynamic panning using parameter modulation in REAPER heh

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search