The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Why aren't most CDs these days mixed in mono? Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Nut

Just like AM radio or SD TVs its old and only people afraid of change would want to use it. Progression is a good thing!
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horking My Lunch View Post
I feel like you can get a really powerful mixes in mono. Take The Beatles or The Beach Boys, the mono mixes (imho) sound WAY better than the stereo. They feel a lot less vacant.

Has anybody made mono recordings in recent years?
I would agree about most of the Beatles mixes, the Beach Boys sounded better in stereo to me. Try the Pet Sounds remaster with both on it. I couldn't imagine giving up stereo these days. I could definitely do a period piece in mono someday though............. I actually started out mixing in mono decades ago in my early live mixer days.
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Goat View Post
Okay, as I've pointed out before, I'm just a dumb folksinger. Isn't one mic on one source mono? So, isn't two mics on two sources, say guitar and vocals, two mono tracks? If you have one mic on every noise in the room, ain't that a bunch of mono tracks? Even if you have two different mics at different placements on a cab, ain't that two mono tracks?

I wait with baited breath...
When you listen to those instruments in a room -> Stereo

When all of those mics are panned to simulate the placement of those instruments in that room -> Stereo
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

If God had wanted us to use stereo, he'd have given us two ears.
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

and of course, mono on two speakers is stereo.
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentvangogo View Post
i always think that about surround... love surround on movies, hate it for music.

maybe a surgical procedure... or a human mutation could have surround capabiliies..
one big ear in your forehead, 2 on the buttocks... and the subwoofer channel... well, you can figure it out....hehhehhehheh
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwittman View Post
The Beatles sound "better" in mono because they put all their EFFORT into making the mono mixes, and considered the stereo the afterthought (leaving aside those tracks released from two track, non reduced, taps that weren't intended to be stereo at all), not because of the intrinsic 'magic' of mono
Exactly! I heard that they spent about 3 hours on the mono mixes and half an hour on stereo.
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
I feel like you can get a really powerful mixes in mono. Take The Beatles or The Beach Boys, the mono mixes (imho) sound WAY better than the stereo. They feel a lot less vacant.

Has anybody made mono recordings in recent years?
I think when you say mono you might be meaning to say stereo.
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I always mix in mono and then pan to taste. I'm trying to finish recording an ep, I might just make it mono to SHAKE THINGS UP A BIT.

So I take it there hasn't been any recent albums solely in mono ?
Too late...
Charlie Hunter Has 'Neglected To Inform You' : NPR
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeYoo View Post
God gave us two ears. Why not use both of them.
I use both my ears when I listen to mono records, don't you?
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by taturana View Post
i always think that about surround... love surround on movies, hate it for music.

maybe a surgical procedure... or a human mutation could have surround capabiliies..
one big ear in your forehead, 2 on the buttocks... and the subwoofer channel... well, you can figure it out....hehhehhehheh
actually the seemingly-arbitrary folds in the pinna of your ear already perform this function. They redirect sounds coming from different directions. Your brain can decode the minute timing differences and calculate where sounds are coming from, even without the addition of a Third Ear. You can tell when a sound is behind you, you can tell when a sound is raised or lowered in the 3rd dimension, too.

The very fact that we can already appreciate and enjoy sound coming from 5 speakers with our two ears is proof that we don't really need more ears.

Just more speakers.
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigfried Chicken View Post
They sound better only because the early albums were recorded on early multitracks that did not allow for more than 3 or 4 tracks. As a result, everything got panned hard left, right and center. This did not sound natural.
Countless giant hits to this very day are panned in such a manner. Thousands of 'em. Not to mention millions of songs that never made it as hits. It remains a very popular way to pan. We just don't put the drums hard left and the vocals hard right.
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

I often wish more bands would make more creative use of stereo/mono. One of the best examples I know of would be Aenima by Tool where the drums are stereo, but the guitars and vocals are largely mono with parts/fx spread into stereo for effect on different songs.
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheebs Goat View Post
Countless giant hits to this very day are panned in such a manner. Thousands of 'em. Not to mention millions of songs that never made it as hits. It remains a very popular way to pan. We just don't put the drums hard left and the vocals hard right.

but back in the days when songs were tracked to 4 track decks, with the intention to mix into mono, they had no choice come stereo time

Their 4 tracks might be allocated like this:
1- live band -guitars and drums
2- lead vocals
3-backing vocals
4- bass

Pan that LCR so it sounds 'natural' and includes a relatively equal balance of volume on both speakers. You will end up with the vocals panned hard right.
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

I'm not disputing their methods or their results.

Sigfried Chicken blamed the odd placement found in early stereo recordings on the hard pan limitations. I was just saying that many recordings today are still made using only 100% hard pans and that Sigfried probably didn't notice because the drums and vox are not off to either side.
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentvangogo View Post
hehhehhehhehheh
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwittman View Post
The Beatles sound "better" in mono because they put all their EFFORT into making the mono mixes, and considered the stereo the afterthought (leaving aside those tracks released from two track, non reduced, taps that weren't intended to be stereo at all), not because of the intrinsic 'magic' of mono

mono can be great; you'll never get the kind of depth in a stereo mic you can in mono

but the obvious bottom line answer is that everyone making records (Phil Spector notably excepted) preferred making them in stereo, thought stereo sounded better on the whole, and started to do just that.

judging by how adventurous and experimental they were, it's hard to believe an active Beatles today wouldn't be doing everything in surround; and thereby, singlehandedly, forcing everyone to go buy surround playback to not be left out of appreciating it.
+1000000000000 William! Truer words were never spoken!

An early Happy New Year to you!
Old 31st December 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheebs Goat View Post
I'm not disputing their methods or their results.

Sigfried Chicken blamed the odd placement found in early stereo recordings on the hard pan limitations.
As I read his post, he blamed it primarily on the few numbers of tracks.

Even with 'soft' panning, where could you put the 4 tracks as outlined above?
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeYoo View Post
Old Goat is right.

People that use mono tracks can never make a true stereo recording.

Old Goat must hear a binaural recording.

Try Wiki.
Other than a few Classical music recordings I've heard in binaural, other genres just don't sound good that way. Except maybe Bluegrass, etc.
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

I bet that if all current pop music was released in mono no one would even notice.

I have never seen a generation of consumers with less concern for audio fidelity.

If mp3's are "good enough" for music, then stereo is probably too good for them anyway.

Just turn that cell phone/music player up (the one that's blasting your "jams") and let that tinny, compressed, mosquito buzz of a sound finish off what's left of your brain cells... heh

I'd rather listen to AM radio static...
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

Isn't there some music that sounds BETTER in mono? I already mentioned "Ticket to Ride"... if you don't believe me, DL the mono version and crank it -- it's far more MASSIVE in mono than wimpy stereo. Of course, some music MUST be heard in glorious stereo. But I can think of quite a few bands that might sound better in mono than stereo. Against Me comes to mind.
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by T'Mershi Duween View Post
I bet that if all current pop music was released in mono no one would even notice.

I have never seen a generation of consumers with less concern for audio fidelity.

If mp3's are "good enough" for music, then stereo is probably too good for them anyway.

Just turn that cell phone/music player up (the one that's blasting your "jams") and let that tinny, compressed, mosquito buzz of a sound finish off what's left of your brain cells... heh

I'd rather listen to AM radio static...
Most of todays music is so limiter crushed, that they are pretty close to mono, my friend!
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

Why aren't most CDs these days mixed in mono?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq

As I read his post, he blamed it primarily on the few numbers of tracks.

Even with 'soft' panning, where could you put the 4 tracks as outlined above?
For a lesson in 'soft' panning a 4 track master listen to the instrumental stereo mixes off the Pet Sounds boxset. Mark Linett did an amazing job on that.
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by T'Mershi Duween View Post
I think a return to mono would be very apropos for the current popular musical climate.

How many clueless fu#ks are walking around with just one earbud in or listening to their moronic "music" on a cellphone speaker?

Hell, I think it's the perfect time for mono! No one but me and a few other peeps even care about such esoteric things like surround sound... and since stereo is really only good for spatial dimension, artistic panning of instruments and depth of field in recording, maybe we have too much concern for quality in audio playback...

I say take the current crop of over compressed, auto-tuned, everything mixed to maximum volume drivel and feed it back to the peasents in a way that even they can understand. Treat the human ear(s) like a singular butt-like orifice to the brain!

One man, one speaker!

It's the new thing! YEAH!

heh

/thread
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

I actully prefer mono as well. Most records I've heard that have been mixed in stereo, haven't really utilized the stereo spectrum much anyway. Lotsa people have playback equipment that is either mono or stereo with the speakers really close to each other anyway, so I don't think most Joe Normal's would even think about it if the next Gaga song was in mono. I would quite like that actually. Mono Gaga, all instruments panned hard right and left.
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug hazelrigg View Post
Other than a few Classical music recordings I've heard in binaural, other genres just don't sound good that way. Except maybe Bluegrass, etc.
I disagree. I've done binaural mixes for ambient/chillout music and it sounds OK. heh
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDaMan View Post
I disagree. I've done binaural mixes for ambient/chillout music and it sounds OK. heh
Right -- that IS a genre that could sound great in binaural. To be honest, I'm not sure I've actually heard a binaural recording, except for a couple Classical recordings that emphasized the fact, and possibly a couple radio dramas that were done this way. For example, the radio dramatization of Star Wars that was done in the early 80's (it was either PBS or Canadian Public Radio that produced it) was recorded this way -- it sounds good over loudspeakers but amazing using headphones
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search