The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What gear do I need to do this?
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Head

What gear do I need to do this?

Hi guys, I searched but couldn't find an answer to this exact question.

My band is going to start using some backing tracks from an ipod. I have the tracks mixed so that the right channel is the music and the left channel is the click for the drummer. Right now we just have a little adapter that plugs into the ipod and gives us two outputs: one (left) for the drummer's headphones and one (right) for the PA. But we get a little bleed of the click into the right channel and it'd be nice for the drummer to be able to adjust the level of the click in his headphones.

Without getting into a discussion about the morality of using backing tracks, what's the simplest "legit"way to do this? Thanks in advance!
Old 28th December 2010
Bring L and R into the mixer on 2 mono channels, give the drummer 2 auxes for his foldback rather than one (one for L and one for R), then put them into a small mixer beside him for his headphone mix, then he can easily adjust the headphone mix.

This way you can send all the musicians the backing track easily heh
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adlen View Post
Bring L and R into the mixer on 2 mono channels, give the drummer 2 auxes for his foldback rather than one (one for L and one for R), then put them into a small mixer beside him for his headphone mix, then he can easily adjust the headphone mix.
Thanks for the quick response. So something like this?
Old 28th December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by campersand View Post
Thanks for the quick response. So something like this?
That oughtta do it
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adlen View Post
That oughtta do it
Okay, so I got that mixer and a 3.5mm to dual 1/4" mono cable, ran each mono channel into my powered mixer and sent them each to the small mixer. Everything works well except I'm only getting signal in the left side of my headphones from the small mixer since both of the channels are mono. Any way to fix this?
Old 31st December 2010

Can't put it in stereo if you're only using mono, but you could just double up the mono. I'm pretty sure there is a jack converter from stereo to mono, which you could just use backwards. Sounds stupid but it just might work! also might half your levels...
Old 31st December 2010
Gear Head

solution!

I got a stereo female to mono male adapter and put in on the headphones, worked perfectly!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search