The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
My first "real" pre; DAV BG-1U Condenser Microphones
Old 28th December 2010
Here for the gear

My first "real" pre; DAV BG-1U

Hello -

Christmas included enough of a wife allowance to purchase my first decent pre. Wanted good value, clean transparent sound, versatile, stacks well, etc. A quality, multi purpose, workhorse pre.

Previously was using a Presonus MP 20 to power mics (KSM 32, SM81, SM7b, 58's, 57's, OM2 and i5 into Yamaha aw16g or aw2816 (I have both). Tested it by close micing acoustic guitar with a single sm57, "Babe I'm Gonna Leave You", first with MP20 the with the BG-1u.

The difference was truly remarkable. I expected an improvement, but was surprised at just how big an improvement it was. My wife could even easily discern the difference between the two tracks, and she's not into recording. Through the bg-1u, I would swear the sm57 sounded as clear and clean as KSM 32 though the MP20.

Have not experienced how tracks will stack together yet, just recorded that one track for now. Acoustic guitar is what I promarily do tough. Have not tried my 32 yet either, or any of the other mics, but I'll post after a few weeks probably, when I have had some time to experieemnt with it. Initial impressions are very positive though,, pleasently surprised at the difference in fidelity. Preamps really do matter! It was like going to HD after watching standard definition. Very significant inprovement in clarity, detail, headroom, level.

Thanks to the slutz here - decision was largely based on a lot of research here. Nice pre it seems, for less than half that of API, Great River, A designs Pacifica, etc.

Matt in Baltimore
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Addict

Enjoy. It's a nice pre at a nice price point.

Reg
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Guru

My BG-1 and my AT4050 were both purchased after me pestering a lot
of really knowledgeable and helpful people when I first joined here.

Both solid built great sounding all around work horses.

If you have not already received the notice, you'll see a Customs
fee come in for about 10% of the purchase price if you bought it direct
from the U.K.
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Did you level match both clips and compare them blind?
The difference should only be very subtle at best. AFAIK DAV pres are transformerless and are driven by opamps. They should be clean and nuetral much like your mp 20 (with the idss off). If the differences are readily noticeable under blind conditions I would say it's likely you had a faulty mp 20.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search