The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Is the word and term "ripping a cd" going to vanish?
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Addict

Here's a fun little question...

Do people think that the term "ripping a cd" and more specifically the word "ripping" itself used in that way, is going to vanish? I myself think there is a good chance it might. For years it was an established word and term. Putting data from your computer on a cd was called "burning" and taking data from a cd and putting it on your computer was called "ripping." The thing is, Apple with their Itunes software calls the ripping process "importing" and they've named it so for more than 5 years now. And I'd have to guess that more than 80% of the people out there, at least in the U.S., use Itunes and have used it for years.

So yeah, do you think Apple's Itunes term "importing" that has been fed to the masses is going to wipe out completely the use of "ripping" as a word and term for taking data off a cd and putting it on a computer?
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Addict

I still use the word "rip" for importing.
Old 6th January 2011
Gear Addict

wow, one reply to this fun question. I hope that everybody here is familiar with the term ripping at all...
Old 6th January 2011
Gear Nut

Well, when I'm recording vinyl through a tube pre so I can carry around 320 mp3s and get a little old school vibe on the ipod, I prefer to use the term "ripping." "Importing" a record? Sounds like I'd have to pay a customs duty or something....
Old 6th January 2011

I always assumed (and I could be very wrong about this) that "ripping" was a derivation of the term "rip-off" or "ripping off" which implies stealing.
Kinda ironic if it is.
Old 6th January 2011
Lives for gear

I was using the IMPORT feature in Wavelab to import CDs onto my hard drive 5 years before iTunes existed.
Old 6th January 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatsby View Post
So yeah, do you think Apple's Itunes term "importing" that has been fed to the masses ...
we're rebels, we rip CDs, we're not going to let The Man tell us we're just "importing" them.
Old 6th January 2011

maybe we could use "dripping"?
Old 6th January 2011
It may well just get shortened to 'ipping.
Old 6th January 2011
Gear Maniac

I thought thats what the British were always saying

to 'ip o' no' to 'ip aye mate
Old 6th January 2011
Lives for gear

It will never stop being called rip. Windows Media Player always did and still does have an icon called rip. This is what was done long before itunes came along and Apple became the fad it is today.
Old 6th January 2011
Lives for gear

Rip and burn man, rip and burn.
Old 11th January 2011
Gear Addict

ah some opinions, finally... humor is much welcomed...
Old 11th January 2011
Lives for gear
'Ripping' will probably last about as long as 'home taping'
Old 11th January 2011
Gear Nut

Sometimes when I'm on the toilet exporting, I feel like my ass is "importing" (a word invented by the designers at Apple).

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search