The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What do peole think of Presonus gear? Audio Interfaces
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

What do peole think of Presonus gear?

I was just wondering what peoples thoughts are on Presonus gear, the reason I ask is because, I've got a Presonus interface, the Firestudio. I don't really use it that often, but the thing is, I'm thinking about going freelance, so I want to make sure that I have the best equipment I can afford. I have spent £300 on the bloody thing but I have heard a couple of people on here trash talk Presonus gear. Is that just people being opinionated?

Any feedback (about Presonus gear) would be greatly appreciated
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

I've had lots of driver issues with my Firestudio.
I have 6 Digimax FS for my live rig, and I get great results from them.
Workhorse pieces, insane I/O options, sound respectable, affordable.
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Maniac

As a general rule of thumb, gearslutz looks down on non-botique gear costing less than 2K.

To gain gearslutz cred you need to do one of the following:

- Buy a big ben or antelope external clock for the presonus
- Replace all of the opamps and capacitors in the presonus
- Use the presonus as an interface only and buy new converters and preamps

None of these options will actually make your music sound better but you can feel good that your fellow slutz will approve.
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

You can do perfectly acceptable recordings with presonus gear. Depending on what other gear you surround it with you can do awesome recordings. Despite what others say you can have a weak link in the chain and make great recordings. If it is your best piece of gear or on par with everything else you own you may have some issue's.
Old 28th December 2010
Deleted #157546
Personally, I wouldn't use Presonus as an interface...but I run PTHD.

However, I am going to be picking up a faderport and I own a HP-6.

I also feel like some of the other rack gear is decent for the price too.
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

My firebox was horrible. noisy and lots of compatibility problems

their support sucks. Emailed multiple times and NEVER got a reply. I'll never own a presonus piece again
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Never had a problem with my Firestudio. Update the drivers when necessary. The preamps do their job well enough. It's not an Apogee or Lynx priced piece so why compare it to those? I say get started with what you have.

I remember seeing a site online (I think it was about 4 years ago and wish I could find it again) where a studio recorded a band and split everything off to 2 seperate systems... one was all high end: preamps, converters, etc. (The mics were all typical studio fare split to each system) the other was done with the cheapest on the market including behringer converters. The results were as such: Both recordings sounded great, because the performance was great and it was recorded in an appropriate room, miced up correctly. Was there a BIG difference between the 2? No. Was there a difference? Yes. The recording done with the nice gear (to my untrained ears) sounded fuller. Not by alot. If I'd heard one recording one day and the other the next, I wouldn't have noticed a difference. Would an experienced engineer have noticed? Probably. I doubt they would've scoffed in any way at either of the recordings though.
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Addict

Maybe check out the steinberg mr816x. I use one to record my bands rehearsals/demos and I'm constantly surprised by how good it can sound, even with crappy samson mics in an untreated room. Very easy FireWire into logic/computer. Never have any issues
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcleardaze View Post
The preamps do their job well enough. It's not an Apogee or Lynx priced piece so why compare it to those? I say get started with what you have.
Exactly.

I owned two of their 8-ch Digimax 96k at one point, and I thought for the price ($160/ch) it was a pretty decent unit. 24 simultaneous outputs, 8 limiters, converters. Not bad.

I'd throw the important tracks on 8 high-end pres into a Digi 002 via ADAT, and the other 8 would go through the 96k and into the 002 line inputs.

Everything was nice and neat on the rack and it sounded better than the 002 pres with more headroom and less noise.

I'd rate their customer support as excellent. thumbsup

I had two of the converter channels crap out and they repaired it no questions asked (still under warranty). No problems ever again after the repair.

Then, I sent them a "can't hurt to ask" friendly email about the big red LED on the power supply that died of old age. I got a reply saying they'd get back to me asap. Within a few days I received a shiny new knob w/LED on a 7 year old discontinued unit.

-Bruno
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Thanks for all the replies so far guys I must admit, I have been having problems with my interface. The problem I have is that whenever I have some MIDI drums playing and try to record audio over the top, there is a latency in the cans. I tried lowering the buffers, and I managed to get the latency down, but not low enough so that it went away (I am fully aware that it is IMPOSSIBLE to get zero latency, but you know what I mean). I had turned off the outputs as well. Any ideas?
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhero View Post
As a general rule of thumb, gearslutz looks down on non-botique gear costing less than 2K.

To gain gearslutz cred you need to do one of the following:

- Buy a big ben or antelope external clock for the presonus
- Replace all of the opamps and capacitors in the presonus
- Use the presonus as an interface only and buy new converters and preamps

None of these options will actually make your music sound better but you can feel good that your fellow slutz will approve.
Lol heh

By the way, I'm downloading the latest drivers for the firestudio as we speak
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDaMan View Post
Thanks for all the replies so far guys I must admit, I have been having problems with my interface. The problem I have is that whenever I have some MIDI drums playing and try to record audio over the top, there is a latency in the cans. I tried lowering the buffers, and I managed to get the latency down, but not low enough so that it went away (I am fully aware that it is IMPOSSIBLE to get zero latency, but you know what I mean). I had turned off the outputs as well. Any ideas?
Do you have any other effects running? Try bypassing any compressors or reverbs etc and see if that helps with latency.

I have the firestudio 2626, I really like it and have no issues with it. I do a lot of tracking with an API A2D but I wouldn't hesitate to use the on-board Pre's and Converters.
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathawkes View Post
Do you have any other effects running? Try bypassing any compressors or reverbs etc and see if that helps with latency.
Nope, I have no other effects on any tracks or busses so I don't think it could be that.
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

There's a studio I use on a regular basis that has one of those presonus central station monitor controllers. I don't think it's a super transparent controller, but I do like some of the features. The way you can quickly send an ipod signal to the cue send so the band can here part of a demo or a song quickly is super handy.

I'd say it 'does the job'.
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Head

I've used Presonus gear in the past before. Windows drivers are crappy. Mac drivers are much more stable.

While I don't think it sounds bad, I just think that Echo, being at similar price range, is much, much better.
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

Well I am using it on a Mac, so I'm glad to hear that the Mac drivers are more stable than windows.
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Head

Yeah, Presonus isn't bad, really. I did my first home demo on a Presonus, one cheap AKG condenser, and an ART preamp. I've kept none of the above but I think I did pretty well.
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Firestudio is a totally respectable interface. It's a good solid start, and your money might be better spent on other things (you didn't say what mics you have/etc..) for now.

I never had any driver problems, and I thought their tech support was great. Just my experience....
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Guru

The gear is not pro audio by any means.
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LimeMusic View Post
Firestudio is a totally respectable interface. It's a good solid start, and your money might be better spent on other things (you didn't say what mics you have/etc..) for now.

I never had any driver problems, and I thought their tech support was great. Just my experience....
So far the only mics I have are an SM57 and a sE Electronics mic (can't remember the model off the top of my head), and also have access to an SM58. I am thinking about getting more mics, but I'm not sure which ones yet, but anyway, that is irrelevant.
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Head

I have a Presonus MP20 preamp, Jensen transformers and Burr-Brown op amps that I was about to sell, but used it on guitars over the weekend and damn... it's one of the few preamps I have that I notice sounding "good" (the other one is a Neve). Decided to keep it. I think they made an 8-channel version of it at one point that my friend used to love on drums (MP80?). Anyway, you were probably asking about interfaces but my experience with the preamp has all been positive.
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllAboutTone View Post
The gear is not pro audio by any means.
What makes gear "pro audio"?
Old 29th December 2010
Here for the gear

Presonus Monitor Controller.

I own a presonus monitor controller, It does everything i want it to do and more. I love the number of inputs, the dim button and the meter on it. My only gripe is that after only having owned it for a year the big volume knob is starting to produce static when being turned. Now I bought the presonus controller as i believe it is meant to be more transparent than a mackie big knob but this static thing is bugging me. Indeed it seems to be something common to presonus gear. I always assumed the presonus gear at school made static noises like this when knobs are turned due to overuse but now Im begging to think its something that takes place on all their gear. I must admit i get a bit of a sinking feeling everytime it happens and i hear that nasty crackle.
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDaMan View Post
Nope, I have no other effects on any tracks or busses so I don't think it could be that.
With a firewire interface, asking for software monitoring (since you're using software drums - not to be confused w/ near-zero-latency monitoring from the DSP mixer), you're always going to have latency. Usually, it will be "unacceptably high" latency, at least based on my standards. PCI-E or similar interfaces do not have the same problem, and can usually provide acceptably low latencies even when software monitoring, and even when not using DSP-driven monitor mixes.

I had a Firebox as my first interface - it is okay, for the pricepoint. Although I don't think it's so much better than its $99 brethren, so maybe not worth the price. I found it was noisy, I also had driver issues as mentioned above.

I did have a couple of issues with it where Presonus customer care performed excellently. No complaints about their customer service.

I've also used their bluetube preamps, and was not impressed. I've never used their "high-end" pieces, what's-it, the ADL, something like that...

Budget gear is just that, I don't expect miracles....
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhero View Post
What makes gear "pro audio"?
Mainly gear that you can rely on for starts, quality and other things follows. There stuff is cheap made, I should know I have had many issues with it in the past, firewire ports blow at nothing.
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

For the price their gear is good. I use a Digimax LT for remote drum tracking all the time with very good results considering. It's built like a tank!
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Maniac

What do peole think of Presonus gear?

+1 on the Digimax FS
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Light View Post
Maybe check out the steinberg mr816x. I use one to record my bands rehearsals/demos and I'm constantly surprised by how good it can sound, even with crappy samson mics in an untreated room. Very easy FireWire into logic/computer. Never have any issues
I sold my MR816 and purchased a Presonus Firestudio and have never been happier. They sound the same to my ears, but I had nothing but a year of dropouts and other problems with the MR816.

Also, I own a Presonus Eureka preamp and it sounds great.
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

I have an Eureka and so far am very impressed with it!
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Nut

I have a Eureka, and 4 X central stations. (one in each of our studios)

The central stations are a cool idea, and fairly well thought out.... but,
We have had a lot of issues with reliability... they are not a well built piece of kit IMO. The only word I can use to describe the sound of the Eureka is digital. It lacks any depth or warmth, and the EQ is non-musical and boring..
It's the only pre i have used that makes my ISA 828 sound decent... (again just IMHO)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search