The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What do peole think of Presonus gear? Audio Interfaces
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

I've spent a little more time with my Presonus Eureka and did some comparisons to my GAP PRE73 and M-Audio DMP3 and found that the Eureka is the quietest of these! When the input gain was turned up to 54db with my Rode NT-1a there was no hiss at all! Even with the output turned up to max there was still virtually no hiss!!

The more I use this preamp the more I like it! Apparently it also responds well to opamp upgrades. The opamps are socketed for easy swapping. I've got some free TI OPA 1611's coming and will try and get some OPA 627BP samples aswell.

From what I've been reading using Linear Tech LT1357 opamps in the Eureka reduce the noise even more and the OPA 627's improve the frequency response.

There was also a Hotrod version of the Eureka a while back which had a transformer upgrade to a Jensen + a few other mods.

I picked mine up for £100 which is a complete bargain! Am pretty interested in hearing what the opamp upgrades do.
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by 79strat View Post
I have a Presonus MP20 preamp, Jensen transformers and Burr-Brown op amps that I was about to sell, but used it on guitars over the weekend and damn... it's one of the few preamps I have that I notice sounding "good" (the other one is a Neve). Decided to keep it. I think they made an 8-channel version of it at one point that my friend used to love on drums (MP80?). Anyway, you were probably asking about interfaces but my experience with the preamp has all been positive.

+1 on that; I have a few "big name" preamps (Great River, Ward-Beck, Sony Urei Custom made, ADK AP1, and others) however, my MP 20 runs with all of them and is actually better sounding than some of these.....!
Old 1st January 2011
Gear Maniac

I won't ever buy presonus gear again. I had a firestudio with lots of driver problems.

Recently my central station meters quit working so I contacted support. They said they would not fix the meters for free even though if you google the problem it's a common issue. They lost my business forever.
Old 1st January 2011
Deleted #157546
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdvmi View Post
I won't ever buy presonus gear again. I had a firestudio with lots of driver problems.

Recently my central station meters quit working so I contacted support. They said they would not fix the meters for free even though if you google the problem it's a common issue. They lost my business forever.
Well I won't be buying a central station now!
Old 1st January 2011
Gear Nut

Presonus always seems decent enough and functional until you hear something better. I replaced my Firecorn (well, firepod technically) with a Apogee Ensemble, and I wouldn't use Presonus again unless I had to. And if I had to, I wouldn't bitch about it, I'd just do the project.
Old 1st January 2011
Gear Addict

I use a Faderport. When I got it new it was very buggy and I contacted support about it. Support was very bad! The guy just played dumb until

I gave up. They slowly improved the driver and now it´s pretty solid. There are still some things not working (after years!) like the footswitch jack.

Gives a bad impression of the company. I´d buy the Faderport again as theres not much competition and the price is great. I´d never buy an interface from them!
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

This just gets better and better.........
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

I've always been under the belief that if you can't make an acceptable sounding recording using presonus gear, it ain't the gears fault.

I've made plenty of suitable recordings using only a firebox or firestudio project. (If you'd like to hear a few let me know)

Its great gear to start and learn with. Its not the highest quality equipment, but if you take care of it and focus on proper recording technique you'll be good to go.
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SynthLine09 View Post
I've always been under the belief that if you can't make an acceptable sounding recording using presonus gear, it ain't the gears fault.

I've made plenty of suitable recordings using only a firebox or firestudio project. (If you'd like to hear a few let me know)

Its great gear to start and learn with. Its not the highest quality equipment, but if you take care of it and focus on proper recording technique you'll be good to go.
True, true. I personally have made some "OK" sounding recordings with it too.
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDaMan View Post
True, true. I personally have made some "OK" sounding recordings with it too.
My recordings sound absolutely terrible.... believe me, though, it's not the gear. hehheh
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcleardaze View Post
My recordings sound absolutely terrible.... believe me, though, it's not the gear. hehheh
Could it be mic placement???
Old 1st January 2011
PDC
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcleardaze View Post
Wow, if you couldn't figure out what I meant by my statement, then you have more problems than gear, my man. Or are you just trying to pick at nits and create an argument via semantics for no other reason than some strange superiority complex?

Ok, ok, I'll assume you really aren't capable of getting my point and need FURTHER clarification. The Firestudio is no Chandler TG run through an Apogee AD-16-X/DA-16-X or Lynx Aurora... nope, wait a second... you might not understand this example either, since the Chandler is not actually a part of either of these units, and I'm gonna have to guess that for the sake of argument that we're probably only aloud to compare similarly outfitted units to create a proper FOUNDATION for the sake of true clarification. Here you go. I'll simplify and summarize my statement just for you, PDC, even thought the message wasn't meant for you: Don't worry about what everyone else is saying about the gear you have, get out there and use it.

Geez. I take a long break from Gearslutz and the first few days I get back on I already have some jack-wagon trying to make issues out of nothing. I'm beginning to remember why I quit stopping by.

PS. Uh...PDC? In the words of , well, yourself, "Ok, this is what is wrong with the world...and religion. People are taking some words out of context and not looking at the spirit of the message."
I guess I completely missed it. I re-read it and I still don't get it. Maybe I am slow. Sorry if it bent you out of shape.

Maybe manufacturers and store owners should put disclaimers on all of this budget crap that has to work with software. It should say something like, "You don't REALLY expect this $99 interface to work do you?" I see the manufacturing side of it. People's expectations are inversely proportional to their budget sometimes. However, I see the dealer and consumer's side of things. Don't sell something that will not work.

The bulk of Presonus business comes from the church market. Church music people are generally not power users. The average tenure for a church music leader is less than 5 years. The average church in the USA has under 250 people, has less than 2% of the people giving 75% of the money on average. These are averages here. So, until the church market bails, becomes more professional/demanding, I doubt they will change much. They cannot defy the laws of physics and economics.
Old 1st January 2011
Gear Addict

My impression of Presonus gear is that the designs are very well thought out, but that the price-point they are aiming for necessitates a lot of compromises on the components/manufacturing side.

For example, the Central Station is extremely functional, but many users report reliability issues and the cosmetics are admittedly rather prosumerish. And while the Faderport is a very useful device, its stiff buttons do feel cheapish.

I think it's decent gear to get started with though, because the next step up in quality is often wayyy higher in price.
Old 1st January 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by SynthLine09 View Post

My issue with them has always been quality and horrible support.
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdvmi View Post
My issue with them has always been quality and horrible support.
I had gotten my nerve up with a lot of the positive opinions here, regarding Presonus. I went ahead and bought a Studio Live 16. This was a big purchase for a very small church.

No phone support???? Are you freaking kidding me?? Really????
I should have checked their support ability first.

I have an I7 Laptop... Top of the Line Toshiba and can't even record ONE
channel of audio. This is ridiculous. In a session of troubleshooting, I was
given a long list of mods to make to my system to solve the problem.

Really????? It's my laptop????? Perhaps the board should have a higher level
of compatibility.... maybe????

I truly believe they are good people trying to produce good products but at this
point I feel burned and stuck. I think I'd rather have purchased a Mackie or a
nicer analog board.
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Addict

The thing is with Presonus is that they make good gear with good features at a price point that is appealing to a beginner wanting to get into audio. Now here we are with our Laptop or Desktop computer that we purchased with or without the intention of using it to record music, assuming that we can buy this specialized device designed to do a very specialized task and expecting it to work flawlessly out of the box. I'm sorry but this is ridiculous. You need to do the research to make sure that every component is going to be compatible, that your software is going to be stable(not cracked), proper drivers etc etc... Sometimes you get lucky but for the most part there's some work getting it to the point where it will work reliably. So here's the problem, Presonus is really sticking their necks out making gear that can yield professional results and making it available to beginners who then turn around and write posts about how they can't get it to work with their out of the box laptop and giving these companies bad names as a result.
Anyone see where I'm coming from?
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhero View Post
What makes gear "pro audio"?
the sound quality
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhero View Post
As a general rule of thumb, gearslutz looks down on non-botique gear costing less than 2K.
2k per channel heh
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Maniac

The Presonus ADL 600 is a top-notch preamp, especially if you equip it with some high-grade NOS tubes. It would be very hard to beat at any price then.
Old 4th January 2011
Gear Addict

For better or worse, I think this is right. I'm VERY impressed by the sound of the Studiolive. Given the price, however, I don't think you can count on it sounding good AND being bulletproof; corners have to be cut somewhere to make the price point. If you pay a LOT more money, you can get something that sounds as good (if not better) and is probably more robust. If you've got that money, it's worth making the purchase of that boutique gear to get that reliability (which is important); if you're on a budget, you might as well start with the Presonus if you don't want to wait. You might not have any problems and, if you do, hopefully you've been banking your earnings.

To heartfelt: I'm wondering if your issues was firewire related; I know there's a real disconnect (no pun intended) between current firewire chipsets in commercial computers and the firewire chipsets audio manufacturers have been building toward in the last few years. I don't know that there's an easy solution; good luck! -E

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZFire View Post
My impression of Presonus gear is that the designs are very well thought out, but that the price-point they are aiming for necessitates a lot of compromises on the components/manufacturing side.

For example, the Central Station is extremely functional, but many users report reliability issues and the cosmetics are admittedly rather prosumerish. And while the Faderport is a very useful device, its stiff buttons do feel cheapish.

I think it's decent gear to get started with though, because the next step up in quality is often wayyy higher in price.
Old 4th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshSkweez
Funny this thread should come up. I just got home from an FOH gig where I had a rack with usual suspects - 160as, 166s, Klarks and an ACP88 with tape across one of the channels to signify its disfunctionality. And I started thinking I've seen A LOT of those ACP88s with tape across a channel or two. That's my impression of Presonus gear. ;-)
HAHA, I wasn't even thinking about it that it's presonus when I posted earlier but one of the clubs I work at has an ACP88 and two channels are taped over! Funny thing is when other engineers come in no one seems suprised by that.
Old 5th January 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by paultools View Post
I've had lots of driver issues with my Firestudio.
I agree, the drivers are a PIA and I hate the support or lack of. I have started replacing my Presonus gear piece by piece. My mobile rig will probably stay Presonus for a while for many reasons (one of which is I own them already)

Studio:
Firestudio - replaced with RME Fireface 800
Monitor Station - replaced with Central Station (now use monitor station for live recordings - headphones and talkback between engineers)
Central Station - replace with Dangerous Monitor ST

Mobile Rig:
Lightpipe - replaced w/ 2 - Firestudios
1 Digimax FS
3 Digimax D8 - replaced with 3 more Digimax FS (4 total)
Old 5th January 2011
Lives for gear

I have a Firestudio Mobile that sounds better than My Apogee Duet. I have no qualms about Running my Great River Pre into it and recording. I'm on a Mac so never any driver issues.
Old 5th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostintime View Post
The Presonus ADL 600 is a top-notch preamp, especially if you equip it with some high-grade NOS tubes. It would be very hard to beat at any price then.
Considering the price tag it comes with it should sound phenomenal right out of the box. It's like saying Manley VariMu is a decent comp if you switch out the tubes ;-) Obviously no offense intended.

Unfortunately ADL600 is not very indicative of Presonus gear. It does sound great IMHO too.
Old 5th January 2011
Wouldn't it make sense to comparing Presonus to a similar company and checking out the competition e.g. focurite , m audio, motu etc. I've only use the fire studio and I wasn't that impressed with the preamps.
Old 5th January 2011
Lives for gear

Presonus Eureka is a very nice channel strip. On a bang for buck basis, it's on par with FMR Audio products (ie the Eureka is very good value for money). And it's nice and solid (heavy even) - good iron in there. There's a few mods around the place also.

And the ADL 600 is a great preamp.

Sean
Old 5th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sim View Post
Wouldn't it make sense to comparing Presonus to a similar company and checking out the competition e.g. focurite , m audio, motu etc. I've only use the fire studio and I wasn't that impressed with the preamps.
I've compared the Eureka to my Focusrite ISA One, PRE73 and DMP3 and would say its certainly on a par with my ISA One! I found it to be a little quieter than the PRE73 and DMP3 though these are already very quiet pres.

One thing I did notice was the Eureka was far more tolerant of different mics than the PRE73 and DMP3. I was trying these with an active ribbon mic and there was clearly at LOT more noise with the PRE73 and DMP3 compared to the Eureka!

I also owned a Focusrite Trakmaster Pro, ART MPA Gold (with NOS Telefunken tubes and Studio Projects VTB1). I would say the Eureka is a clear step up from these!
Old 5th January 2011
Lives for gear

I've worked with all the Digi O'[email protected] interfaces in the past, the 001, 002R, 003, etc, no BLA mods, just stock.
One was worst than the other chronologically.
I then worked with an Apogee Ensemble when I switched from PT to Logic a few years ago. Sadly, it had to go.

Last summer, I was on a very tight budget and needed something decent for the home studio. I bought a Presonus Firestudio Mobile and had nothing but problems with intermittent audio dropouts, and after a couple of months of trying to figure out the problem and posting the issue on this and the Presonus forums, I was ready to sell it. One of their reps chimed in and presented me a walkthrough process to isolate the problem and bingo, it's been running great since then. Turns out I had some old files on my Macbook that needed to be deleted as they were conflicting with the FSM drivers.
So a B+ for customer support. It took them a while, but they got it resolved.

For the price, I think it's a great little interface and pretty much stomps all over the Digi interfaces I've had. I think one needs to keep their expectations in check when purchasing any gear. What kind of recordings are you trying to accomplish (?) and go from there. If you just want a more-than-decent little firewire box with a couple of mic and DI inputs for sketching out ideas-cum-professional sounding productions (read: as a result of decent mics and placement, proper gain staging, monitoring, mixing, a good song and arrangement, etc.), then I say go for it. If pristine sound quality and the psychology of gear name and reputation is a factor while you are writing and recording, then perhaps you simply need to spend more money and get some boutique-this-is-gonna-churn-out-the-most-amazing-music-because-I-spent-$_____thousands of dollars on it.

We live in an age where the mind can play a lot of tricks when it comes to the gear we use. Try one, use your ears, and decide for yourself if it's the right piece of kit for your needs.
Old 6th January 2011
500 series nutjob

i have a few of their headphone amps and they meet my expectations and have preform great for years.
i think PreSonus would be a good place to start if you are on a budget.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search