The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What do peole think of Presonus gear? Audio Interfaces
Old 29th December 2010
  #31
Lives for gear
 
waxx's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllAboutTone View Post
The gear is not pro audio by any means.
That's why the VRT and RTBF (Belgian national radio/tv) use Digimax's everywhere in their remote trucks... It's not that it's top hi end, but it ain't trash neighter

Not everything is as good as the Digimax, but most is decent low end. And a 3 digimax's connected to an m-audio Profire Lightbridge make a rather cheap (2K) but decent 24 I/O setup for a smaller studio...
Old 29th December 2010
  #32
Gear Head
 

I have a Presonus FP10 and at first it was great, but shortly after purchase it died and I had to send it back for repair. First off Presonus customer service is horrible, it took me a couple days of non stop calling to finally reach someone (I'm talking about waiting 20 plus minutes on hold before hearing a human voice), so it took a month to get approved for the return and another 5 months to get the unit back, it was a nightmare. In the meantime I bought a MOTU 8 PRE, and haven't used the FP10 since. It only gets used when I need to track more than 8 tracks of drums.

Drivers are a pain in the ass, but the pre's aren't half bad. When it works, it's fine, when it doesn't, you end up buying something else. Hope that helps!
Old 29th December 2010
  #33
Gear Addict
 
Bruno B's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall View Post
how about the stuff like their 1/2 space 2 channel compressors and Blue tube I think they call them pre-amps? they claim it's all awrd winning stuff.. but we've heard that before
I tried the Blue Tube preamps when they first came out and the hiss/noise was not acceptable imo. I think the Digimax 96k I owned was great for the price and nothing like the BlueTubes. Much better build-quality and sound.

The truth is I've sold all my Presonus stuff because I only need 8 channels and already own some nice pres/converters.

The difference between the presonus and some 'nicer' pres like API, Great River, etc is especially noticeable in the deep lows/bass and when pushed with louder signals. API+GR sounds thicker, fatter, punchier with better depth. They sound better 95% of the time. The only time they did not sound better was when a scratch presonus track had the magic from the initial take that couldn't be reproduced later on even with better gear.

That showed me that you can use presonus to get good results, but relying on them for tracking everything will be much more difficult than if you have some $1000/ch pres available to you.

-Bruno
Old 29th December 2010
  #34
Lives for gear
 
DanDaMan's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDaMan View Post
Thanks for all the replies so far guys I must admit, I have been having problems with my interface. The problem I have is that whenever I have some MIDI drums playing and try to record audio over the top, there is a latency in the cans. I tried lowering the buffers, and I managed to get the latency down, but not low enough so that it went away (I am fully aware that it is IMPOSSIBLE to get zero latency, but you know what I mean). I had turned off the outputs as well. Any ideas?

Sorry, I made a mistake. The MIDI drums were bounced to audio. And I Still get latency.
Old 29th December 2010
  #35
Gear Head
 

I have a StudioLive 2442 and its a really great and good sounding product!
Old 29th December 2010
  #36
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhono1 View Post
I own a presonus monitor controller, It does everything i want it to do and more. I love the number of inputs, the dim button and the meter on it. My only gripe is that after only having owned it for a year the big volume knob is starting to produce static when being turned. Now I bought the presonus controller as i believe it is meant to be more transparent than a mackie big knob but this static thing is bugging me. Indeed it seems to be something common to presonus gear. I always assumed the presonus gear at school made static noises like this when knobs are turned due to overuse but now Im begging to think its something that takes place on all their gear. I must admit i get a bit of a sinking feeling everytime it happens and i hear that nasty crackle.
Hit me up on email and I'll get your unit fixed for you: bmullens(at)presonus.com

Best,
BM
Old 29th December 2010
  #37
Gear Addict
 
Jonathawkes's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDaMan View Post
Another thing I must say about my interface, I need to use a LOT of gain to get an acceptable signal out of my SM57. Would this be a fault with the mic or the interface? I must be using +40-50 dB of gain. Is this normal?
depends on your source material. If you're trying to record something really quiet with a 57 you're going to need a lot of gain. Guitar amps, snares, percussion... you'll have no problem.
Old 29th December 2010
  #38
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDaMan View Post
I was just wondering what peoples thoughts are on Presonus gear, the reason I ask is because, I've got a Presonus interface, the Firestudio I think it's called. I don't really use it that often, but the thing is, I'm thinking about going freelance, so I want to make sure that I have the best equipment I can afford. I must have spent £300 on the bloody thing but I have heard a couple of people on here trash talk Presonus gear. Is that just people being opinionated?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated
Perhaps you can come up with your own feedback. What would you say to a person who's going to offer his services for hire, and

1. He can't remember the name of his audio interface.
(Also seems to not remember what it cost.)

2. He has two microphones and can't remember what one of them is.

3. He has know idea of typical gain amounts required by a 57.

Would you think that person is worth of hire?
Old 29th December 2010
  #39
Gear Head
 

Everything sounds the same..

Its all 16bit 44khz.. If its more then that they cant hear the difference in a blind test.


Really all the interfaces and all the stuff is fine. Even the micrphone..

a $40 pevey mic sounds the same as a $2000 microphone.

Engineers only play with the faders.. there is only a very limited amount they can do..

Thats why they think its all to do with magic gear to getting a good sound. because they dont understand about composition..



and besides nowadays (thankfully!) the big big budget clean sound is going out of fashion i think.. it sound s boring to people..

they dont want to hear sterile perfection.

they want the mix to live.. and the best way for this to happen is let some musical person mix it..

not some lil tape worm who huddles over pro tools quantizing guitar parts, for 17 year old grammar school children in bands.. that have no right to be making music in the 1st place, and should be on a tube train going to work in an office somewhere..


ok hope that helps!
Old 29th December 2010
  #40
Lives for gear
 
NF Audio's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbobeats View Post
Everything sounds the same..

Its all 16bit 44khz.. If its more then that they cant hear the difference in a blind test.


Really all the interfaces and all the stuff is fine. Even the micrphone..

a $40 pevey mic sounds the same as a $2000 microphone.

Engineers only play with the faders.. there is only a very limited amount they can do..

Thats why they think its all to do with magic gear to getting a good sound. because they dont understand about composition..



and besides nowadays (thankfully!) the big big budget clean sound is going out of fashion i think.. it sound s boring to people..

they dont want to hear sterile perfection.

they want the mix to live.. and the best way for this to happen is let some musical person mix it..

not some lil tape worm who huddles over pro tools quantizing guitar parts, for 17 year old grammar school children in bands.. that have no right to be making music in the 1st place, and should be on a tube train going to work in an office somewhere..


ok hope that helps!
Old 29th December 2010
  #41
Lives for gear
 
DanDaMan's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEGG View Post
Perhaps you can come up with your own feedback. What would you say to a person who's going to offer his services for hire, and

1. He can't remember the name of his audio interface.
(Also seems to not remember what it cost.)

2. He has two microphones and can't remember what one of them is.

3. He has know idea of typical gain amounts required by a 57.

What would you say to such a person? Would you think that person is worth of hire?
1. Presonus Firestudio Project

2. Shure SM57 & sE Electronics sE2200

3. I have memory problems, so don't take the piss.

You may have a point on the last one you said, but that's still no excuse to try and put me down.
Old 30th December 2010
  #42
Lives for gear
 
DanDaMan's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathawkes View Post
depends on your source material. If you're trying to record something really quiet with a 57 you're going to need a lot of gain. Guitar amps, snares, percussion... you'll have no problem.
Ahhhh, so it ain't my interface, cheers for telling me mate
Old 30th December 2010
  #43
Lives for gear
 
Newcleardaze's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDaMan View Post
Sorry, I made a mistake. The MIDI drums were bounced to audio. And I Still get latency.
Read up on your Firestudio Control Console (it should be a seperate icon than your primary DAW). I've had to make a few changes there from the initial setup to get around latency issues: Perhaps the Quickroute in the Harware Settings, or the Main Assign in the Outputs/Router.
Good luck
Old 30th December 2010
  #44
Lives for gear
 
suedesound's Avatar
 

had the older model blue tube years ago as my first pre and didn't like it's sound at all. the tube drive thing just gave you ugly distortion. the power supply died after a while and they sent me a new one right away so no complaints with customer service, they also told me it's easy to swap out the tube if i wanted to try to get a different sound out of it but i never bothered and just sold it not long after.

we have a digimax at our studio that's sounds fine and haven't had any issues with it. i only use it when i need to record more than 8 channels at a time and then for less important tracks ie scratch tracks etc. it gets the job done but when i have other high end pres and converters i go for those first. i did a whole project with them when we were still setting up the place and it held up just fine.
Old 30th December 2010
  #45
Lives for gear
 
DanDaMan's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcleardaze View Post
Read up on your Firestudio Control Console (it should be a seperate icon than your primary DAW). I've had to make a few changes there from the initial setup to get around latency issues: Perhaps the Quickroute in the Harware Settings, or the Main Assign in the Outputs/Router.
Good luck
Cheers man, I'll try that :D
Old 30th December 2010
  #46
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDaMan View Post

You may have a point on the last one you said, but that's still no excuse to try and put me down.
You did ask for feedback. I asked questions, and made no value judgments, and definitely did not put you down. Please reread my post.

I admire your initiative- and I mean that sincerely. In the end, that's the single most important thing.
Old 30th December 2010
  #47
Lives for gear
 
DanDaMan's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEGG View Post
You did ask for feedback.

Not a put down, just an obvious question-and a question is what it was (is).

I do admire your initiative- and I mean that sincerely.
Ok, I apologize, I misinterpreted what you said. But I meant feedback about presonus gear, not about me in general.heh
Old 30th December 2010
  #48
it's all opinions man.
Old 30th December 2010
  #49
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDaMan View Post
But I meant feedback about presonus gear, not about me in general.heh
I don't think recent PreSonus gear is going to hold you back. More important is the music, the performers, good microphones, and good space to record in, yourself, and only after all of that would I worry about the interface.

If your recent (and some not so recent) PreSonus gear runs-and that is a caveat for all gear at all prices-it will not hold you back.

So you can look at other things to spend money on.....
Old 30th December 2010
  #50
Lives for gear
 
DanDaMan's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEGG View Post
I don't think recent PreSonus gear is going to hold you back. More important is the music, the performers, good microphones, and good space to record in, yourself, and only after all of that would I worry about the interface.

If your recent (and some not so recent) PreSonus gear runs-and that is a caveat for all gear at all prices-it will not hold you back.

So you can look at other things to spend money on.....
Ahhh cheers JEGG
Old 30th December 2010
  #51
Gear Maniac
 

I have several pieces of PreSonus gear, and they've all been great.

Granted, I do only vocals, so I don't have much to go on as far as "band" stuff, which seems to be what most people do here.

Eureka- great for the price point. It's clean. Is it as clean as an apogee? Probably not, but it sounds very transparent to my ears, for my purposes. I have an ART tube for contrast, I think both sound great, each for their own purpose.

I also have the faderport, which i just use for transport control inside the booth for self-recording (does the job), and a Monitor station, which is a great piece of control kit for the price.

I take care of my stuff, and it's all working very well for me. It's not boutique gear, but in my situation, running through the eureka is better than running straight in the 003 by a long margin.

It's all relative, too. You either make good music, or you don't, the gear is just an aid, and a good engineer can use "average" or "low end" gear to produce very good results every time. If it's what you have, use it!
Old 30th December 2010
  #52
PDC
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcleardaze View Post
The preamps do their job well enough. It's not an Apogee or Lynx priced piece so why compare it to those?
These statements don't sit well with me. WHICH Apogee? There is no foundation for this statement. As a matter of fact, in several shoot-outs, the entry level Apogee has been blown out of the water by Presonus. So I would say that this statement is completely incorrect. Is Apogee making anything at that price point with the same function, discrete, 30V, Class-A preamps? Nope.

I work for a dealer. We have problems with support from Presonus.
1. We no longer push StudioOne, etc because of the lack of support and their issues.
2. The StudioLive consoles have been great. No issues. We don't hesitate to push those. There isn't anything in that price range that does what they do.
3. The entry level Presonus is very different from the high-end Presonus. All of the higher end stuff is fine.
4. Presonus does stand behind their gear. It is just a hassle to get someone at the company to return a call. Once someone is contacted, gear gets swapped out on the spot. The drag is that people consider the dealer as part of the problem when the dealer is selling something that does not work. Nobody likes having to box up their new toy and return it.
5. If you cannot work on Presonus gear and get good results, you should do something else.
Old 30th December 2010
  #53
Lives for gear
 
Newcleardaze's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDC View Post
These statements don't sit well with me. WHICH Apogee? There is no foundation for this statement. As a matter of fact, in several shoot-outs, the entry level Apogee has been blown out of the water by Presonus. So I would say that this statement is completely incorrect. Is Apogee making anything at that price point with the same function, discrete, 30V, Class-A preamps? Nope.
Wow, if you couldn't figure out what I meant by my statement, then you have more problems than gear, my man. Or are you just trying to pick at nits and create an argument via semantics for no other reason than some strange superiority complex?

Ok, ok, I'll assume you really aren't capable of getting my point and need FURTHER clarification. The Firestudio is no Chandler TG run through an Apogee AD-16-X/DA-16-X or Lynx Aurora... nope, wait a second... you might not understand this example either, since the Chandler is not actually a part of either of these units, and I'm gonna have to guess that for the sake of argument that we're probably only aloud to compare similarly outfitted units to create a proper FOUNDATION for the sake of true clarification. Here you go. I'll simplify and summarize my statement just for you, PDC, even thought the message wasn't meant for you: Don't worry about what everyone else is saying about the gear you have, get out there and use it.

Geez. I take a long break from Gearslutz and the first few days I get back on I already have some jack-wagon trying to make issues out of nothing. I'm beginning to remember why I quit stopping by.

PS. Uh...PDC? In the words of , well, yourself, "Ok, this is what is wrong with the world...and religion. People are taking some words out of context and not looking at the spirit of the message."
Old 30th December 2010
  #54
Lives for gear
 
Newcleardaze's Avatar
 

Guess I needed a good rant.
Old 30th December 2010
  #55
Gear Addict
 
Jonathawkes's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcleardaze View Post
Wow, if you couldn't figure out what I meant by my statement, then you have more problems than gear, my man. Or are you just trying to pick at nits and create an argument via semantics for no other reason than some strange superiority complex?

Ok, ok, I'll assume you really aren't capable of getting my point and need FURTHER clarification. The Firestudio is no Chandler TG run through an Apogee AD-16-X/DA-16-X or Lynx Aurora... nope, wait a second... you might not understand this example either, since the Chandler is not actually a part of either of these units, and I'm gonna have to guess that for the sake of argument that we're probably only aloud to compare similarly outfitted units to create a proper FOUNDATION for the sake of true clarification. Here you go. I'll simplify and summarize my statement just for you, PDC, even thought the message wasn't meant for you: Don't worry about what everyone else is saying about the gear you have, get out there and use it.

Geez. I take a long break from Gearslutz and the first few days I get back on I already have some jack-wagon trying to make issues out of nothing. I'm beginning to remember why I quit stopping by.

PS. Uh...PDC? In the words of , well, yourself, "Ok, this is what is wrong with the world...and religion. People are taking some words out of context and not looking at the spirit of the message."
I think his intentions were good, but he clearly misread your post. Oh well!
Old 30th December 2010
  #56
I have Central Station with remote.
It has everything i need, works well, i don't have any complaints.
Well, actually i have one.

AND ITS ******** KILLING ME !!!!

There is no way to adjust headphone volume from remote control

How could you people at Presonus forget to put volume knob for headphones on remote control?

You could have at least implemented use of big volume knob for controlling the headphones volume when headphones are plugged in, in the same way my laptop speakers are cut off when i plug headphones in.
Old 30th December 2010
  #57
Lives for gear
 
DanDaMan's Avatar
 

Hmmm, don't think I'm gonna buy TOO much more Presonus gear. Sorry Presonus, if you're reading.
Old 30th December 2010
  #58
Lives for gear
 
FreshSkweez's Avatar
 

Funny this thread should come up. I just got home from an FOH gig where I had a rack with usual suspects - 160as, 166s, Klarks and an ACP88 with tape across one of the channels to signify its disfunctionality. And I started thinking I've seen A LOT of those ACP88s with tape across a channel or two. That's my impression of Presonus gear. ;-)
Old 31st December 2010
  #59
Lives for gear
 
DanDaMan's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshSkweez View Post
Funny this thread should come up. I just got home from an FOH gig where I had a rack with usual suspects - 160as, 166s, Klarks and an ACP88 with tape across one of the channels to signify its disfunctionality. And I started thinking I've seen A LOT of those ACP88s with tape across a channel or two. That's my impression of Presonus gear. ;-)

Oh dear.
Old 31st December 2010
  #60
Deleted #157546
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshSkweez View Post
Funny this thread should come up. I just got home from an FOH gig where I had a rack with usual suspects - 160as, 166s, Klarks and an ACP88 with tape across one of the channels to signify its disfunctionality. And I started thinking I've seen A LOT of those ACP88s with tape across a channel or two. That's my impression of Presonus gear. ;-)

Before we went to digital live boards, I used it a ACP88 for comping. It was definitely not my favorite piece of Presonus gear. I've also heard about those things catching fire. However, I own a HP60 and it rock. Build quality is great and it works well. Perhaps, Presonus has gotten better.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
mfischman3 / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
5
vrockob / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
1
AndySebastian / So much gear, so little time
3
adclark / Low End Theory
2

Forum Jump
Forum Jump